Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

nursery teacher job role similar to nursery nurse?

nursery teacher job role similar to nursery nurse?

Old Aug 15th 2013, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

cristal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default nursery teacher job role similar to nursery nurse?

Hi, everyone I have a few questions to ask hoping that maybe someone has the answers. I am a qualified EYFS teacher or nursery teacher but I have not worked in the last 10 years as a teacher but as a nursery nurse. I would like to apply for a visa with my teacher qualification as this is on the SOL list. Please can someone tell me if I can apply without any experience as a teacher if I get the points from other parts? Another question is can I get 5 points for working in a job closely related to the one I have the qualification for? As a nursery nurse I do practically the same job the teacher does, I say more or less, so the jobs are related. I hope some others in my situation can give me some answers, thank you.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: nursery teacher job role similar to nursery nurse?

As there is no answer I'll try to reformulate: is the nursery nurse's work closely related to the nursery teacher's work? Can I claim points for working in a close related job if I worked as a nursery nurse and not as a teacher? I'd really appreciate if someone would give me an answer as I don't know where else to ask. thank you.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 12:29 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cristal
As there is no answer I'll try to reformulate: is the nursery nurse's work closely related to the nursery teacher's work? Can I claim points for working in a close related job if I worked as a nursery nurse and not as a teacher? I'd really appreciate if someone would give me an answer as I don't know where else to ask. thank you.
Hi Cristal, is it possible to get advice from the assessing bodies? I know that some will evaluate work experience for points, and although DIAC aren't bound by the decision, it may give you a good guide.

Also, if you only need to include the experience for points - can you get the points through IELTS instead? Or maybe state sponsorship.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

You could try asking in here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=80

It's not a Australian specific forum but someone in there might know.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Hi Cristal, is it possible to get advice from the assessing bodies? I know that some will evaluate work experience for points, and although DIAC aren't bound by the decision, it may give you a good guide.

Also, if you only need to include the experience for points - can you get the points through IELTS instead? Or maybe state sponsorship.
Hi, I did ask the NOOSR but they didn't reply yet. I suppose I can get points from somewhere else. thank you for the idea.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by NickyC
You could try asking in here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=80

It's not a Australian specific forum but someone in there might know.
I'll have a look, thank you.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of

I can't help from the points area but this may be some help in regards to job equivalents. Here (Aus)you are an Early Years Teacher in a child care centre or possibly Prep, yr 1or 2 in a school or you are an Educator, that is you work in a child care centre but are not a university trained teacher with a degree. The Early Years teachers in child care centres tend to run the Pre Prep room preparing the children for school. Hope this is some help as it can be quite confusing sorting out equivalent areas of work from country to country? Sorry I can't help with the points though.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 11:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Babsw
I can't help from the points area but this may be some help in regards to job equivalents. Here (Aus)you are an Early Years Teacher in a child care centre or possibly Prep, yr 1or 2 in a school or you are an Educator, that is you work in a child care centre but are not a university trained teacher with a degree. The Early Years teachers in child care centres tend to run the Pre Prep room preparing the children for school. Hope this is some help as it can be quite confusing sorting out equivalent areas of work from country to country? Sorry I can't help with the points though.
Actually your answers gives me some hope, as I understand that the work is similar to what we do here in UK as nursery nurses. The only thing I can do is to assess my diploma and send DIAC my payslips too, explaining that the jobs are related. I'll try to gain points from others areas as well. Thank you so much for your reply.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 11:21 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Actually your answers gives me some hope, as I understand that the work is similar to what we do here in UK as nursery nurses. The only thing I can do is to assess my diploma and send DIAC my payslips too, explaining that the jobs are related. I'll try to gain points from others areas as well. Thank you so much for your reply.
If you claim points that DIAC do not feel are justified, a visa could be refused for overclaiming. Probably wise to get employment assessed by skills assessing body, or get advice from a MARA agent
Old Aug 19th 2013, 11:25 am
Just Joined

If you claim points that DIAC do not feel are justified, a visa could be refused for overclaiming. Probably wise to get employment assessed by skills assessing body, or get advice from a MARA agent
So the assessing body deals with employment and not just the qualifications? How can I approach them with this?
Old Aug 19th 2013, 11:30 am

So the assessing body deals with employment and not just the qualifications? How can I approach them with this?
Found this on AITSL FAQ - http://www.aitsl.edu.au/assessment-f...swers.html#Q21
Old Aug 19th 2013, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

That's the answer to my concerns, thank so much old sparkles, I know what I have to do now
The AITSL Skilled Employment Statement will provide advice on claims of skilled employment in the nominated occupation or other school teacher occupations on the Skilled Occupations List (SOL) comparable to the professional level of that occupation.
To request a Skilled Employment Statement contact AITSL via [email protected] providing your full name as it appears on the AITSL Skills Assessment Certificate and the reference number. The fee for an AITSL Skilled Employment Statement requested after a Skills Assessment Certificate has been issued is AUD150.