Not sure what visa I need

Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

kjkj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Not sure what visa I need

Hi, have just joined so sorry if this question has been asked before.

My wife has a permanent visa for Australia, and property in Sydney, but doesn't have citizenship (and won't be applying for it). We are planning to move to Australia in the next year or so but I don't know what I need to do.

I'm in a skilled IT job in the UK and have friends working in IT in Sydney who tell me there is a big need for IT workers at the moment.

I guess my question is, can I get a permanent/working visa because my wife already has one? Or would it be better/quicker/more likely to be accepted to try and get a working visa? If so, would the best route be to try and get sponsorship or is there another way of doing it?

Many thanks!
Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

monet has a spectacular aura aboutmonet has a spectacular aura aboutmonet has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Not sure what visa I need

Since your wife has a permanent visa, then she would be able to sponsor you. See the following link:

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/fami...er-outside.htm
Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

Great, thanks for the quick response!
Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

monet has a spectacular aura aboutmonet has a spectacular aura aboutmonet has a spectacular aura about

Anytime - Good Luck!

Where are you hoping to move to?
Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:44 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kjkj
Hi, have just joined so sorry if this question has been asked before.

My wife has a permanent visa for Australia, and property in Sydney, but doesn't have citizenship (and won't be applying for it). We are planning to move to Australia in the next year or so but I don't know what I need to do.

I'm in a skilled IT job in the UK and have friends working in IT in Sydney who tell me there is a big need for IT workers at the moment.

I guess my question is, can I get a permanent/working visa because my wife already has one? Or would it be better/quicker/more likely to be accepted to try and get a working visa? If so, would the best route be to try and get sponsorship or is there another way of doing it?
Your wife can sponsor you for a spouse visa, but as she is not an Australian citizen she may be required to show that she is "usually resident" in Australia.

Also, obviously her resident status must still be valid. She can't sponsor for anything if it expires.

How long have you been together and do you have children? That will determine whether you would get a permanent or temporary spouse visa.

If you are only in line for the temporary spouse visa, then you should investigate whether you can get a permanent visa based on your skills instead.

Out of interest, why does your wife not want to become an Australian citizen?
Old Jan 6th 2008, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

My wife has been studying in the UK for a few years and has spent her life living between Japan and Australia (and now the UK). She's been planning to go back to Sydney but put this on hold as we met and married - she's about to renew her permanent visa. I believe they take into account time out of the country for study - hopefully there shouldn't be any problem renewing it as although she's been away for a while, she owns property over there and has been paying a small amount of tax.

We've been together over four years and married for a year and a half (no kids yet) so hopefully that side of things should be no problem.

As for not wanting Australian citizenship: she's from Japan and they don't allow dual-nationality - I expect we will move there at some point in the future, although probably not in the next ten years.

I had a look at the Australian immigration website and although I think I would only get a temporary spouse visa, assuming we're still together two years after that, it could be 'upgraded' to a permanent one?
Old Jan 6th 2008, 5:11 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kjkj
My wife has been studying in the UK for a few years and has spent her life living between Japan and Australia (and now the UK). She's been planning to go back to Sydney but put this on hold as we met and married - she's about to renew her permanent visa. I believe they take into account time out of the country for study - hopefully there shouldn't be any problem renewing it as although she's been away for a while, she owns property over there and has been paying a small amount of tax.
Form 968i explains the rules for an RRV:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/968i.pdf

We've been together over four years and married for a year and a half (no kids yet) so hopefully that side of things should be no problem.

As for not wanting Australian citizenship: she's from Japan and they don't allow dual-nationality - I expect we will move there at some point in the future, although probably not in the next ten years.

I had a look at the Australian immigration website and although I think I would only get a temporary spouse visa, assuming we're still together two years after that, it could be 'upgraded' to a permanent one?
As you have no children, you will get a temporary spouse visa unless you have been together for 5 years at the time of application. After 2 years on temporary you then get upgraded to permanent.

Some people who qualify for permanent skilled visas prefer this instead of a temporary spouse visa.

If there is a long term plan to relocate to Japan then you should get your own Australian citizenship as soon as you're eligible (after 4 years). This would make it easier for your wife to hold on to her PR status long term if she chooses not to become an Australian citizen.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

Very helpful, thanks!