Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Not on skills list... still intend on getting there...

Not on skills list... still intend on getting there...

Old Jul 10th 2008, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Dont miss the boat is a jewel in the roughDont miss the boat is a jewel in the roughDont miss the boat is a jewel in the roughDont miss the boat is a jewel in the roughDont miss the boat is a jewel in the rough
Default Not on skills list... still intend on getting there...

Hi All...

New here so just looking around, thought I would bore you all with my storey..

I do not have any skills that seem to be acceptable.. however my wife is a Yoga Teacher/Sports Massarge Therapist...

I however am LGV2 lorry Driver qualified, Genral Builder leaning towards getting Plastering qualifications.... Basically we just want to get to Aus.. Wife 40, me 39.. time running out so "Dont want to miss the Boat"

Any advise would be great.. I am going to instruct a migartion expert but last time I discussed my sistuation with one at the London Expo I was advise to go as a student... I have 3 kids so needed around £30,000.. is this my only route?? can I not get sponsored or something?? I will do what ever it takes to get in.... just want to be told TRULY what is the best route when you cant pass the skills test.. thanks Jason
Old Jul 10th 2008, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not on skills list... still intend on getting there...

Originally Posted by Dont miss the boat
Hi All...

I do not have any skills that seem to be acceptable.. however my wife is a Yoga Teacher/Sports Massarge Therapist...

I however am LGV2 lorry Driver qualified, Genral Builder leaning towards getting Plastering qualifications.... Basically we just want to get to Aus.. Wife 40, me 39.. time running out so "Dont want to miss the Boat"

Any advise would be great.. I am going to instruct a migartion expert but last time I discussed my sistuation with one at the London Expo I was advise to go as a student... I have 3 kids so needed around £30,000.. is this my only route?? can I not get sponsored or something?? I will do what ever it takes to get in.... just want to be told TRULY what is the best route when you cant pass the skills test.. thanks Jason
You need an employer to sponsor you or to retain. Simple really are no short cuts unless you want to get married to an Aussie (think your other half could be a little upset by that option though ). Are a lot of people who wish to get into Aus that's why they can pick and choose. Just make sure your expectations of Aus and reasons for wanting to go are the right ones
Old Jul 10th 2008, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

Dont miss the boat is a jewel in the roughDont miss the boat is a jewel in the roughDont miss the boat is a jewel in the roughDont miss the boat is a jewel in the roughDont miss the boat is a jewel in the rough

Yep... she would be pissed if I re-married...

Reasons to go are plenty and reason to stay abundant... go out ways the stay for us.. dont want to look back and regreat not trying.. thanks..
Old Jul 11th 2008, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

Cathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant futureCathy Makin has a brilliant future

Hi All...

Just wanted to say that massage therapist is on the Skills List, not sure if this helps or what she would need to have in terms of qualifications/experience etc......also what about your building experience, could you not go down that route?

It is worth 40 points, I have come over on a Student Visa with kids, going ok but is very expensive, so any other way in would be advisable.

Regards
Old Jul 11th 2008, 7:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All...

Sponsorship for truck drivers in now only available in certain fields, I understand.
see this thread
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=545425
Old Jul 11th 2008, 7:39 am

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All...

I was advised to do a cake making certificate in the evenings as it's on the skilled list. She said that I wouldnt need any actual work experience either but Im not sure of the exact details.....I wouldnt be suprised if I've forgotten some imprtant details there so please dont shoot me down guys. It's just an example really to show that there are lots of easy ways around the problem (i.e. quick and cheapER to obtain).
Old Jul 11th 2008, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice

Hi,

We're a bit like you!

Determined to get there by hook or by crook!

we visited Perth 2 yrs ago and since then have been looking at ways to get in. Originally were going to go on a business visa but unfortunately couldn't quite make the turnover. Then looked into being sponsored (still applying for jobs) Hubby has a class 1 HGV and I'm a trained Child care worker but haven't been in that line of work for a number of years.

I am now going to go out on a student visa to study Hairdressing. It's a 2 yr course which can be fast tracked into about 16mths! Costs an arm and a leg, but its this way or no way.......... so we've decided to go for it!
We've got 2 kids and you also have to pay school fees of $8k per child per yr

But this is our only way in so watch this space!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 11th 2008, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

Thanks all for the comments..... will look into massage Therapist for the wife..... Jason
Old Jul 12th 2008, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oliver1982
I was advised to do a cake making certificate in the evenings as it's on the skilled list. She said that I wouldnt need any actual work experience either but Im not sure of the exact details.....I wouldnt be suprised if I've forgotten some imprtant details there so please dont shoot me down guys. It's just an example really to show that there are lots of easy ways around the problem (i.e. quick and cheapER to obtain).
I would be extreamly supprised if you would get a skills assessment passed on just an evening class. One of the reasons a lot of us are doing courses actually IN oz is because you ONLY need 900 hours of work experiance after the course, rather than years with most jobs. Certainly patisserie you need work experiance and I can't see 'cake maker' if that is what it is on the list as needing none.
Who is 'she' who told you this? Like I say, there are lots of us here on a student visa, because it is the only way.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

skiggsy is a jewel in the roughskiggsy is a jewel in the roughskiggsy is a jewel in the roughskiggsy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by stumpysean
Hi,

We're a bit like you!

Determined to get there by hook or by crook!

we visited Perth 2 yrs ago and since then have been looking at ways to get in. Originally were going to go on a business visa but unfortunately couldn't quite make the turnover. Then looked into being sponsored (still applying for jobs) Hubby has a class 1 HGV and I'm a trained Child care worker but haven't been in that line of work for a number of years.

I am now going to go out on a student visa to study Hairdressing. It's a 2 yr course which can be fast tracked into about 16mths! Costs an arm and a leg, but its this way or no way.......... so we've decided to go for it!
We've got 2 kids and you also have to pay school fees of $8k per child per yr

But this is our only way in so watch this space!!!!!!!!!!
Hi there,

Was wondering if you could give me some advise on how you went about finding out about hairdressing courses. New to all of this but am determined to find a way to get there.
My OH is currently a cook/chef but has onlybeen in this field for 12mths (he was in Logistics before this)& is doing qualifications at mo. Apparantly need 4 yrs experience.

Anything you could send me would be appreciated

Thanks
Old Jul 12th 2008, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice

Originally Posted by skiggsy
Hi there,

Was wondering if you could give me some advise on how you went about finding out about hairdressing courses. New to all of this but am determined to find a way to get there.
My OH is currently a cook/chef but has onlybeen in this field for 12mths (he was in Logistics before this)& is doing qualifications at mo. Apparantly need 4 yrs experience.

Anything you could send me would be appreciated

Thanks
Hi,

To be honest, i was originally going to go to the sunshine coast TAFE. However, I have since found out that their course doesn't include the 900hrs work experience required for the TRA assesment, whereas the private colleges do. The TAFE placements require you to find your own work experience outside of college hours. Also, the private colleges allow you to 'fast track' the course which means you can complete the course in as little as 16 mths as long as you take no holidays etc....

have a look at www.brishair.com.au this is where i'm going to go. They have 2 campuses, one on the Gold coast and one on in Brisbane.

There are also a few others around, but this one has been highly reccomended by loads on here.

Hope this helps.

Becky
Old Jul 12th 2008, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

skiggsy is a jewel in the roughskiggsy is a jewel in the roughskiggsy is a jewel in the roughskiggsy is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

To be honest, i was originally going to go to the sunshine coast TAFE. However, I have since found out that their course doesn't include the 900hrs work experience required for the TRA assesment, whereas the private colleges do. The TAFE placements require you to find your own work experience outside of college hours. Also, the private colleges allow you to 'fast track' the course which means you can complete the course in as little as 16 mths as long as you take no holidays etc....

have a look at www.brishair.com.au this is where i'm going to go. They have 2 campuses, one on the Gold coast and one on in Brisbane.

There are also a few others around, but this one has been highly reccomended by loads on here.

Hope this helps.

Becky
Thanks becky,
Have you got a family in tow aswell? How are you finding the finaces, if you dont mind me asking....i mean, how much do you think it will all cost and can your partner work on your visa?
Thanks again
Suzannex
Old Jul 12th 2008, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by skiggsy
Thanks becky,
Have you got a family in tow aswell? How are you finding the finaces, if you dont mind me asking....i mean, how much do you think it will all cost and can your partner work on your visa?
Thanks again
Suzannex
Will this lead to PR aswell?......so many questions sorry!!!!

Suzanne x
Old Jul 12th 2008, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

I have 2 boys ages 8 & 10 yrs. Hubby can only work 20 hrs a week on this visa, as can you. This applies to holiday time too. Although you can work full time in the holidays, your partner can still only work 20 hrs. (what a pain!)

You have to pay for kids school fees at $8k per child per year So for us having 2 kids that works out to $32K just for school fees for 2 years, without any extras!

We are selling our house and our business to fund the whole move. Its been a huge decsion and has not been easy! We've been thinking about it for 3 yrs and only now decided to take the plunge! But its now or never......

This will (fingers crossed) lead to PR, theres hopefully no reason why not. Hairdressing been on the MODL for ages and this course ticks all the boxes so looks like the best option.

let me know if i can help answer anything else the best i can, where are you looking to go and when?
Old Jul 12th 2008, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

I have 2 boys ages 8 & 10 yrs. Hubby can only work 20 hrs a week on this visa, as can you. This applies to holiday time too. Although you can work full time in the holidays, your partner can still only work 20 hrs. (what a pain!)

You have to pay for kids school fees at $8k per child per year So for us having 2 kids that works out to $32K just for school fees for 2 years, without any extras!

We are selling our house and our business to fund the whole move. Its been a huge decsion and has not been easy! We've been thinking about it for 3 yrs and only now decided to take the plunge! But its now or never......

This will (fingers crossed) lead to PR, theres hopefully no reason why not. Hairdressing been on the MODL for ages and this course ticks all the boxes so looks like the best option.

let me know if i can help answer anything else the best i can, where are you looking to go and when?
We are hoping to go to Brisbane as my sister lives there but it prob wont be until next year.
Apparantly i am the one who has to have the student visa as you need to be under 45 before you finish it!!
Need to do lots of research still as i have no idea how much things cost and we would be relying on the sale of our house here to fund things.
Have you booked your place yet on any courses? Looked at a college in Brisbane for Hairdressing which looks promising.
Thanks for your help
Suzanne

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.