Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Noooooo... I don't believe it... TRA said NO

Noooooo... I don't believe it... TRA said NO

Old Nov 3rd 2004, 12:54 pm
Dancing Queen

Lucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Noooooo... I don't believe it... TRA said NO

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
they say that hubby only shows supervisory experience as kitchen manager not as hands on chef.... what the £$%@!!!!!
First of all don't panic - deep breath.

We failed TRA first time too - took nearly 10 months to get a positive assessment. You can appeal which costs A$300 or you can start again (Which I would personally advise).

In our experience it is best to use an agent, it does cost nearly £3K but it is well worth it. My husband has been in the Royal Navy for 23 years and is an avionics engineer, no problem I hear you say, it was a problem because my husband had City & Guilds which Australian's don't understand how to convert them to NVQ's or equivalent.

Seems like your husband has the experience but not the qualifications, which may mean you making a Statutory Declaration to the TRA about the establishments he has worked in, the tools he uses etc. In other words you have to literally spell it out and explain it like you would to a 5 year old.

Good luck

Lucy
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

amandat is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Noooooo... I don't believe it... TRA said NO

they say that hubby only shows supervisory experience as kitchen manager not as hands on chef.... what the £$%@!!!!!
Hi
So sorry to hear your news. Speak to an agent see if they can help you I'm sure they can give you advice on getting employer sponsorship over in Australia.
Keep your chin up and the best of luck. :-)
Amanda
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 1:02 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
Hi

I have replied to yr PM but now read this........

cant beleive TRA, if Chefs are in demand can you not try to find a company who is in need of one and who might sponsor you?

Surely its worth a try??

laura
xxxxx
Thought of that but the person being sponsored needs to show that they have the relevant skils by producing (guess what) their TRA Assessment!!!
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 1:09 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

I have the letter from TRA now off hubby & the reason behind the rejection is (& I quote)......

"To be recognised as a chef in Australia, you must first be recognised at trade level in your particular trade, i.e. cook. Unfortunalty, all of your experience presented in your statements of service is at supervisor (chef) level, and such has not provided adequate details of your hands on cooking skills for you to meet the requirements of any of the skills pathways as a cook or a chef."

HELP!!!!
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

I have the letter from TRA now off hubby & the reason behind the rejection is (& I quote)......

"To be recognised as a chef in Australia, you must first be recognised at trade level in your particular trade, i.e. cook. Unfortunalty, all of your experience presented in your statements of service is at supervisor (chef) level, and such has not provided adequate details of your hands on cooking skills for you to meet the requirements of any of the skills pathways as a cook or a chef."

HELP!!!!
Hi
just a thought, could his employer write him a letter stating what his job involved and that he has worked as and is indeed a chef !!
Don't know if this would help you could ask an agent see what advice they offer.
We are doing this now need to show that my husband worked for a firm as a plumber, not found anyone connected with the firm (it went out of business some time ago) as yet and I think thats our only chance :-( not building our hopes up, but will keep looking.
Amanda
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

KenJan333 will become famous soon enough

I can't even imagine how you are feeling right now. It must have been a terrible blow.

Perhaps it was just a case of the info you sent was not worded properly and did not give enough evidence of your hubby's trade.

I'm sure a reputable agent will be able to have a look and give you some advise as to what to do next.

I'm really worried now. TRA approvals seem to be very hard to get!

Hope it turns out ok for you.

Good luck.

Jan
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 1:55 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Unhappy Re: Noooooo... I don't believe it... TRA said NO

Originally Posted by amandat
Hi
just a thought, could his employer write him a letter stating what his job involved and that he has worked as and is indeed a chef !!
Don't know if this would help you could ask an agent see what advice they offer.
We are doing this now need to show that my husband worked for a firm as a plumber, not found anyone connected with the firm (it went out of business some time ago) as yet and I think thats our only chance :-( not building our hopes up, but will keep looking.
Amanda
Yes I think that the problem lies in the fact that the employer statements we sent are great but assess him a what he is.... a Head Chef. They needed to include n=more detailing on the grassroots cooking and menu creation he does.

I have sent a more detailed email to Go Matilda about the situation to see if they can help us. I will keep you all informed.

C
xxx
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 1:56 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

HELP!!!!
Oh no! I cannot begin to imagine how you feel right now. For what it is worth, that explanation makes it sound like he is almost over-qualified. ie they don't want someone to manage chefs they want someone who is actually hands on doing the cooking themselves. Did you try and build up the case for hubby too much, perhaps? Presumably to become a supervisor he rose through the ranks which sounds like you need to appeal stressing the day to day stuff he used to do.
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

Wink Re: Noooooo... I don't believe it... TRA said NO

Originally Posted by worzel
Oh no! I cannot begin to imagine how you feel right now. For what it is worth, that explanation makes it sound like he is almost over-qualified. ie they don't want someone to manage chefs they want someone who is actually hands on doing the cooking themselves. Did you try and build up the case for hubby too much, perhaps? Presumably to become a supervisor he rose through the ranks which sounds like you need to appeal stressing the day to day stuff he used to do.
Hi
Best of luck will be rooting for you.
Amanda
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 2:04 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Originally Posted by worzel
Yes Worzel, I agree. I think the problem is that TRA are saying that to be a Supervisory Chef, you must foirst show that you are a qualified chef. Our application just threw him straight in at the top level.........

Do you think it may have been better if he had applied as "HEad Chef" instead of Chef...???
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 2:26 pm
Cheeky

Just got your news, you must be stunned.

I hope you get it sorted. I dont know what to say and I cant give you any advice but if I was you Id give it another shot (which you are doing from what you say).

Also (for what its worth) Ive read on here how people have re-applied and recieved a postive tra.

And thanks for pm, Ive sent you one also.

Cheeky x

Old Nov 3rd 2004, 3:57 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there Claire,

Cheeky told me you'd posted on here so I'm adding my support.

Like I mentioned in my PM, if Alan can't help you, no-one can. Also, as Lucyemma5 said, it took them 2 attempts to get a positive assessment. Just hang in there, I know it seems devastating at the moment but I think that with the right advice, you can get yourself back on course.

Love to Jonah

D D xx
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 4:08 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream
Hi there Claire,

Cheeky told me you'd posted on here so I'm adding my support.

Like I mentioned in my PM, if Alan can't help you, no-one can. Also, as Lucyemma5 said, it took them 2 attempts to get a positive assessment. Just hang in there, I know it seems devastating at the moment but I think that with the right advice, you can get yourself back on course.

Love to Jonah

D D xx
Thanks DD.

Jonah sends love & cuddles too.......

C
xxx
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

bruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to all
Exclamation Re: Noooooo... I don't believe it... TRA said NO

Yes Worzel, I agree. I think the problem is that TRA are saying that to be a Supervisory Chef, you must foirst show that you are a qualified chef. Our application just threw him straight in at the top level.........

Do you think it may have been better if he had applied as "HEad Chef" instead of Chef...???
Somthing also to concider is once you pass tra what recent experiece is he going to claim. My brother "passed" his assessment as a nurse but because he was working as a nursing manager at the time he got NO POINTS for nurse and therefore failed first time round. Seems like if you "pass" as a cook, your recent experience must be as one!
I may be wrong.
Good luck!!

Bruce
Old Nov 10th 2004, 6:21 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi...

Sorry to hear your bad news.
I think it's all down to the way you submitted the application.
You should definitely have applied as, "Head Chef", and put down the appropriate SOL number.
The thing is, the references have to be incredibly detailed. Particularly the one for his initial training.

I'm now living in Oz. I got my visa in Jan 2003.
I'm a Plumber & also had to get my skills assessed by TRA.
The references I submitted for the time in Scotland when I was a qualified Plumber were pretty basic, but the one for my apprenticeship was 12 pages long! It listed EVERY part of my training.

Remember, the person assessing your application doesn't know anything about being a Chef, or a Plumber for that matter! They just cross reference the info you give them with what they have in a file probably marked, "Chef, Info' required". They're not trained to be objective. They just give a yes or no, based on thier guidelines.

I stiill look at this board cos a mate of mine back in Scotland is waiting for his visa. He's a Joiner, & so had to get a TRA assessment as well. I gave him the same advice & he got his assessed without any problems.

Hope this has helped..... Good luck........

Cheers.... John....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.