Newby - Help with EOI/Visa application

Old Nov 1st 2018, 11:58 am
Just Joined

nrhodgson is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Newby - Help with EOI/Visa application

Hi everybody, my name is Natalie and I am new to this forum (as of today actually) and already completely overwhelmed with the amount of information and discussions taking place on here!

Myself and my partner are 27 and 30 and have decided that we would like to emigrate from Cheshire in the UK over to AUS (looking at Surrounding areas of Sydney that would be suitable for starting a family, safe area, community feel, close to beach, commutable to the city within 30-40 minutes drive). Moving to AUS is something we have discussed on a number of occasions over the last 5-6 years but have finally now decided to bite the bullet and go for it.

I have been looking online at the visas and i have to be honest, i feel slightly uncertain as to what i need to/should be doing. My partner is a joiner (14 years experience) and has been running his own Limited business for the past 2 years, prior to that he was employed with a number of different building companies. The visa I have been looking at for him is the 189 Skilled Independent Visa, however i realise that before even applying we have to complete the EOI.

My first question is, after completing the Migration Skills Assessment and submitting the EOI, roughly how long does it take for a decision to be made?

My second question, which also partly a concern, is whether I am likely to be granted a visa or not. I have worked for Barclays in Corporate Banking since 2012 and prior to that I worked in the Travel Industry, but having looked through the list of different job roles I am not sure on what I should be classifying my job as? I work within Barclays Innovation and Emerging Technology segment and my job title is 'Innovation Manager' - any ideas!?

Thanks,
Natalie
Old Nov 1st 2018, 1:32 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newby - Help with EOI/Visa application

Originally Posted by nrhodgson
Hi everybody, my name is Natalie and I am new to this forum (as of today actually) and already completely overwhelmed with the amount of information and discussions taking place on here!

Myself and my partner are 27 and 30 and have decided that we would like to emigrate from Cheshire in the UK over to AUS (looking at Surrounding areas of Sydney that would be suitable for starting a family, safe area, community feel, close to beach, commutable to the city within 30-40 minutes drive). Moving to AUS is something we have discussed on a number of occasions over the last 5-6 years but have finally now decided to bite the bullet and go for it.

I have been looking online at the visas and i have to be honest, i feel slightly uncertain as to what i need to/should be doing. My partner is a joiner (14 years experience) and has been running his own Limited business for the past 2 years, prior to that he was employed with a number of different building companies. The visa I have been looking at for him is the 189 Skilled Independent Visa, however i realise that before even applying we have to complete the EOI.

My first question is, after completing the Migration Skills Assessment and submitting the EOI, roughly how long does it take for a decision to be made?

My second question, which also partly a concern, is whether I am likely to be granted a visa or not. I have worked for Barclays in Corporate Banking since 2012 and prior to that I worked in the Travel Industry, but having looked through the list of different job roles I am not sure on what I should be classifying my job as? I work within Barclays Innovation and Emerging Technology segment and my job title is 'Innovation Manager' - any ideas!?

Thanks,
Natalie
Hi Natalie,
Can't give much advice on the visa front except that the 189 is definitely the best to go for as it means you are not tied to any location or employer.
Also, as long as you and your partner have been in a de facto relationship, living together for at east 12 months, then you just get added as a dependent spouse on the application. No need to worry about what your job is or whether you would qualify,you get the visa on the grounds of the relationship
Old Nov 1st 2018, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

nrhodgson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Pollyana,

Thank you so much, thats good to know! Do you know whether I would also need to go through the EOI process or would my partner just need to declare in his that we would be coming over together?

Thanks,
Nataile
Old Nov 2nd 2018, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

As long as you can prove that you and your partner are in a de facto relationship - have been living together for at least 12 months, then only one of you needs to apply for a visa. I would advise this is your partner. So, he is the only one who needs to lodge an eoi.

As as he has been self employed for the last two years, I would recommend using an agent to get through the skills assessment. You will pay for this, but it isn't a huge amount in the total cost of migrating.

As for time it takes, it depends on how many points he has. He will probably also need to do an English test such as ilets in order to boost points.
Old Nov 2nd 2018, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

ashley207 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Natalie,

I am in a pretty similar situation to you. A move to Aus (Sydney also) has been spoken about for years but we have only started properly looking at it in the last couple of months.

As my hubby is also a Joiner with his own limited company, trying to research every possible angle has been a mind field. Because of this, we are now considering using an agent to help keep us right and help take some of the stress away from the whole process. We are also flying out for three weeks in March with the kids to scope out work opportunities, locations and schooling.

I hope the process of applying for your Visa goes well for you both!

Ashley
Old Nov 4th 2018, 9:20 am
Just Joined

Grounder77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
just thought I would input a bit.
im new to this site and am about 5 months into the process.
im a self employed electrician.
firstly be prepared for many many hours of paperwork and evidence gathering.
i have employed a migration officer and don’t think I would have the time or skill to attempt it on my own.
If your partner is self employed he will have to prove with evidence of his skills, ie photos, videos, qualifications, references etc etc etc to submit to an aus skils accessor. Mine went in 2 weeks ago and haven’t heard anything yet.
next will be a practical all day skills assessment in london.
as I’m 41 I have to do the IELTS exams as need the extra points. ( I also need max 20 points form it which means getting a very high score which is not easy)
to date I’ve spent over £3000. With another £1000 for the practical then if all goes well I can put in a EOI.
my calculation predicts around £10,000.00 to get me my wife and kids through the process.

good luck
Old Nov 4th 2018, 11:48 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grounder77
Hi
just thought I would input a bit.
im new to this site and am about 5 months into the process.
im a self employed electrician.
firstly be prepared for many many hours of paperwork and evidence gathering.
i have employed a migration officer and don’t think I would have the time or skill to attempt it on my own.
If your partner is self employed he will have to prove with evidence of his skills, ie photos, videos, qualifications, references etc etc etc to submit to an aus skils accessor. Mine went in 2 weeks ago and haven’t heard anything yet.
next will be a practical all day skills assessment in london.
as I’m 41 I have to do the IELTS exams as need the extra points. ( I also need max 20 points form it which means getting a very high score which is not easy)
to date I’ve spent over £3000. With another £1000 for the practical then if all goes well I can put in a EOI.
my calculation predicts around £10,000.00 to get me my wife and kids through the process.

good luck
Trades assessments are different to most other assessments in the amount of steps they involve.

Good luck with that though - you'll have more hoops to jump through when you get here

As for IELTS, there are lots of useful sites that can help you with the test. I think I saw that the Canadian IELTS site has practice tests.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

TeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nrhodgson

Welcome to the Forum Natalie

1) With regard to the Skilled Independent visas 189 the processing times can vary considerably over time depending upon policy and other factors - currently once you have been invited and have submitted a visa application they are taking 8-11 months (however that time line relates to the time the applications that are currently being processed have been waiting).

2) As above, assuming that you meet the requirements to be considered a Spouse/De Facto Partner then you need not apply individually and could be included within your partners visa application as a secondary applicant.

Given you do not have children, if you are still in two minds about the move you might also look at the temporary Working Holiday visa options?
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Natalie, welcome to BE

Thought I'd give back to the forum and add my two cents....

As others have said it is only your partner who will need to submit an EOI and subsequently apply for the visa once invited. Not sure how the skills assessments work in his area of work but I remember jumping through lots of hoops and then some (totally worth it though). I waited about 6 weeks for my skills assessment to be completed. To add, remember that all documents prior to submitting need to be countersigned stating each document is a true copy of the original (don't get bogged down with how much some solicitors etc charge for this.... I was quoted by numerous companies £50 per document and I had 14 to send off.... Needless to say I found a much better offer; £15 for the lot).

The IELTS is good for boosting points and giving him a greater chance of being invited to apply. A bit of advice with the IELTS, practice is key!!! The website though is very useful, I used the road to IELTS for practice which was beyond helpful (49 dollars fee but again, worth it).

Timescales vary, my invitation to apply came 11 days after submitting my EOI and I submitted my application for a visa that very same day.

My most helpful advice would be having patience (funny coming from myself who checked for updates constantly). Everything got better once I relaxed about it and decided to let the government 'do their thing'.

Good luck with your journey!
Old Dec 2nd 2018, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

AdrianS is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,
nice to read about some people like me who are just starting or some who have given some thoughts on migrating to australia for a while.
Today I booked my ielts for the 15 th December as a first step.
looking to get at least 7 to get points.
i am looking to migrate on 189 independent visa for ICT Business Analyst.

Anyone from a London area? I will like to know local MARA agents or good solicitors to get documents certified. Please recommend if you know any....

stay in touch guys.
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdrianS
Hello,
nice to read about some people like me who are just starting or some who have given some thoughts on migrating to australia for a while.
Today I booked my ielts for the 15 th December as a first step.
looking to get at least 7 to get points.
i am looking to migrate on 189 independent visa for ICT Business Analyst.

Anyone from a London area? I will like to know local MARA agents or good solicitors to get documents certified. Please recommend if you know any....

stay in touch guys.
If St Alban's isn't too far for you, check out Taylor Walton's solicitors, mine cost £15 altogether for the certified documents. So so much better than the hundreds of pounds I was quoted from others.
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 11:14 am
Just Joined

Hello,
thats helpful. That means the Australians are not fussy about having a solicitor that is on their approved list?

It’s not far from Harrow. i Will find them on google and get their address.

thanks.
now need to do this ielts thing.....
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 11:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdrianS
Hello,
thats helpful. That means the Australians are not fussy about having a solicitor that is on their approved list?

It’s not far from Harrow. i Will find them on google and get their address.

thanks.
now need to do this ielts thing.....
Any solicitor or JP is fine. There is no approved list of names.
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 11:33 am
Just Joined

That’s great, very helpful.
cheaper the better option though 😀

any one applying as a ICT Business Analyst, please get in touch 😀
two brains work better then mine little one 💀