Wikiposts

newbie here, need advice regarding visas

Old Sep 9th 2011, 6:26 am
Just Joined

alextwilson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default newbie here, need advice regarding visas

Hello there. Thought this would be the best place to ask for any help/advice. I've had a glance on the immigrationwebsite but it all seems to be massive minefield messing with my head.

Right, the jist of it. I'm 23 and considering a move to Australia. Throughout my 'career' I've had part time/temp/summer work in retail/call centres/admin etc, and I'm currently employed by the Royal Mail on a casual contract. Boring.

My main confusion is looking over the Nominated Skills Occupation. My career aspirations are in the media, specifically radio. I have done student radio and am currently doing volunteer work on hospital radio to at least keep myself busy. Looking at the SOL (schedule 1 & 2) theres a few occupations I can consider appropriate to what I want to do. The most relevant qualification I have is a BTEC National Diploma in Media (I left university after year 2, unhappy with it). Am I fine with using SOL (schedule 1 & 2) if I were to apply for a 475?

Also looking at the points test for the 475, would my BTEC be eligible for 10 points by the Aussie authorities? I also have family out in Tasmania so I'm sure sponsorship there wouldn't be a problem for another 10. Obviously lining up a job would be a lot easier but I can't help but feel I won't be so lucky, hmm.

Any advice on which visa is best to apply for would be much appreciated. Somewhere down the line I've probably confused you all, ha.

Thanks!

Alex

Last edited by alextwilson; Sep 9th 2011 at 6:30 am.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 10:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: newbie here, need advice regarding visas

Alex, sorry to burst your bubble but career aspirations and a BTEC or a degree or any exams passed are not going to get you a visa to Australia.

To qualify for skilled migration you have to have both the qualification and a track record of full time paid employment in an occupation on the SOL.

I think that you have two options, put the plans on ice for a few years and get some work experience in what you want to do in the UK. You are young and have plenty of time and Australia is not going anywhere.

Remember that the SOL occupations change and anything on SOL schedule 2 requires state sponsorship. If the occupation is on schedule 2 but is not on ay of the state lists then it will not be possible to migrate with that occupation.

The other option is get a WHV and go to Australia for a year (possibly two) and see what happens. The trouble is, going with no experience might make it difficult to find any options to stay permanently.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

Thanks a lot for the come down to Earth/reality check, haha. Appreciated.

Are many people successful in starting with a WHV and getting something a bit more long term out there once it expires? I mean a WHV appeals if I were to sort myself with a job that paid the bills AND get some work experience at a radio station out there or something, but I can only imagine the Aussie job market for just even bar work is threadbare as it is here. Again, reality check. Looking at it though the jobs I'd do/experienced in are on the 457 SOL. Small comfort, ha.

I mean none of this is planning on being instant, thinking a good year yet before doing anything. Cheers.

Last edited by alextwilson; Sep 9th 2011 at 12:28 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 12:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alextwilson
Are many people successful in starting with a WHV and getting something a bit more long term out there once it expires? I mean a WHV appeals if I were to sort myself with a job that paid the bills AND get some work experience at a radio station out there or something, but I can only imagine the Aussie job market for just even bar work is threadbare as it is here. Again, reality check. Looking at it though the jobs I'd do/experienced in are on the 457 SOL. Small comfort, ha.
There are people that start out on a WHV and then progress to PR and even citizenship, but they would normally be the ones who gained qualifications and experience in UK before they go over at say age 27 or 28. To go over unqualified / unexperienced at age 23 will be much harder.

I can forsee a few problems you might have; firstly media is a very popular and competitive area and you are going to be hugely disadvantaged in even finding an opening on your WHV as you would be restricted to working for any employer for 6 months. To get an employer sponsored visa like a 457, you would also have to demonstrate that you have the skills and experience for the role and 6 months experience on a WHV might not be enough.

Overall I would not rate your chances highly of finding a way to stay permanently in Australia by going at this stage in your life, your biggest chance is probably hoping to meet a nice Australian and progressing onto a partner visa.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 1:30 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alextwilson
Hello there. Thought this would be the best place to ask for any help/advice. I've had a glance on the immigrationwebsite but it all seems to be massive minefield messing with my head.

Right, the jist of it. I'm 23 and considering a move to Australia. Throughout my 'career' I've had part time/temp/summer work in retail/call centres/admin etc, and I'm currently employed by the Royal Mail on a casual contract. Boring.

My main confusion is looking over the Nominated Skills Occupation. My career aspirations are in the media, specifically radio. I have done student radio and am currently doing volunteer work on hospital radio to at least keep myself busy. Looking at the SOL (schedule 1 & 2) theres a few occupations I can consider appropriate to what I want to do. The most relevant qualification I have is a BTEC National Diploma in Media (I left university after year 2, unhappy with it). Am I fine with using SOL (schedule 1 & 2) if I were to apply for a 475?

Also looking at the points test for the 475, would my BTEC be eligible for 10 points by the Aussie authorities? I also have family out in Tasmania so I'm sure sponsorship there wouldn't be a problem for another 10. Obviously lining up a job would be a lot easier but I can't help but feel I won't be so lucky, hmm.

Any advice on which visa is best to apply for would be much appreciated. Somewhere down the line I've probably confused you all, ha.

Thanks!

Alex
What happened to being an electrical engineer in Canada? And what about that degree you had in 2009? What's it in?
Old Sep 9th 2011, 1:55 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
What happened to being an electrical engineer in Canada? And what about that degree you had in 2009? What's it in?
I think he made a mistake there, he said in a previous post that he'd given up uni to work. Would assume that the apprenticeship didn't work, judging by the other jobs he's had.

OP, unfortunately not everyone is entitled to a visa to live and work in Aus, or Canada come to that. I think the WHV would be you best bet at your age, you could be here for a year, two if you do 3 months of some particular occupations and decide that Aus is not for you. It would be a much better way of seeing and experiencing the country. Unfortunately at your age and with your current experience, it's the only way you can get into Aus for anything more than a holiday.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 6:17 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I think he made a mistake there, he said in a previous post that he'd given up uni to work. Would assume that the apprenticeship didn't work, judging by the other jobs he's had.

OP, unfortunately not everyone is entitled to a visa to live and work in Aus, or Canada come to that. I think the WHV would be you best bet at your age, you could be here for a year, two if you do 3 months of some particular occupations and decide that Aus is not for you. It would be a much better way of seeing and experiencing the country. Unfortunately at your age and with your current experience, it's the only way you can get into Aus for anything more than a holiday.
student visa may be another way in - it costs a lot, but if you can afford it, why not. It compensates some of that by allowing people to work up to 20 hours per week, and provides some allowances in the following visa applications. There is no "direct" route from student to permanent, that ship has sailed, but preferential treatment is still there.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

That apprenticeship didn't work out in the end.

Just so we're clear I'd be OK with doing pretty much any work and getting a WHV for 6 months or even a year, if I can get some work exp in my field during that time even better, but who knows; getting any paid role within the media for six months just isn't going to be worth anything to the employer. Shame the authorities don't look at voluntary work, I'd class myself as a pretty decent radio producer/presenter blahblahblah

Again thanks for the assistance so far, makes things a bit clearer
Old Sep 9th 2011, 9:40 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I was talking about this post where he said he has a degree.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 10:51 pm
Just Joined

TSaunders is an unknown quantity at this point

If you want to give Australia a go mate, get yourself a WHV - mine was granted in 2 days - and get over here. Theres plenty of opportunities over here - aslong as you're prepared to put yourself out there. They're a good lot the Aussies, if you show initiative and have a good character, you''ll be able to secure a decent enough job. Where are you planning to go?
Dont be put off by lack of qualifications at this point, come out here, pursue your interests/hobbies/dreams and see what happens.

Good luck, Tom.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 11:16 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Another thought - WHV and skilled migration do not quite come together, it is just hard to fulfill the 12 months of skilled work in the same occupation (assuming you have qualifications in place as well). However, the 457 visa may be your next best thing, after you have done some work on the WHV. You will be limited to 6 months at any given employer, but if lets say they like what you do and want to extend the contract, they might want to go ahead and sponsor you for a 457 visa, that will be good for 4 years and allows for more relaxed schedule to fulfill the PR requirements.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 11:34 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I was talking about this post where he said he has a degree.
I know. I was referring to this one where he said he didn't.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 11:41 pm
Still alive

I know. I was referring to this one where he said he didn't.
Aha. Maybe the OP should think about what edumacation he actuallly has. I mean, you know, it's pretty easy to forget whether you've graduated from uni or not.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly, working holiday visas are just that. You would be comming on holiday. It is not a path to emmigration. You would be very unlikely to find a path to stay afterwards.
Second, you need to realise that getting into radio is VERY difficult and has fierce comptetion, with many people who have done a fair bit more than some volunteer work and a BTEC. Many have media degrees and spend some years working in low paid clerical jobs for radio stations in the hope of getting the break - and most wont.
If you are serious about getting to Australia, then the only real way will be to gain a qualifacation that is in demand in Australia / on the list.