Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

New Zealander in Australia: citizenship to new born kiwi

New Zealander in Australia: citizenship to new born kiwi

Old Aug 3rd 2009, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

didik will become famous soon enough
Default New Zealander in Australia: citizenship to new born kiwi

Hi
I believe that a new born baby of a New Zealander (one of the parent obtained citizenship through grant) is automatically a kiwi, although the baby is currently living in Australia. However, what is the procedure to get NZ Passport for the child? Can she get the passport without having to register his NZ citizenship?

Thanks
ddk
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 1:30 pm
Banned

CrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really nice
Default Re: New Zealander in Australia: citizenship to new born kiwi

A child born in Australia is only an Australia Citizen if they have an Australian Citizen or Australian Permanent Resident parent (only need 1).

Depending on the NZ Parent Status will depend if the child is an Australian Citizen.

Passports are only available to Citizens in every country.

cheers
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks. The child is an Australian citizen already (as his parents are Aus PR). I believe that he is also a Kiwi, as one of his parent is New Zealander (citizenship by grant). Does the child need to register his citizenship by descent, or can he apply for a NZ passport without have to register his nz citizenship?

ddk
Old Aug 4th 2009, 12:21 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by didik
Thanks. The child is an Australian citizen already (as his parents are Aus PR). I believe that he is also a Kiwi, as one of his parent is New Zealander (citizenship by grant). Does the child need to register his citizenship by descent, or can he apply for a NZ passport without have to register his nz citizenship?
Contact the NZ High Commission. They will be able to tell you if you can apply for the passport directly.

Note: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/New_Ze...hip_by_Descent

Also, make sure you get the child an Australian citizenship certificate:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Eviden...an_Citizenship
Old Aug 4th 2009, 2:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks JAJ. I have emailed the NZ High Commission and it said that I need to "register the child New Zealand Citizenship by Descent".

My follow up question, if i dont get him an NZ Passport, can he travel with an Australian Passport to New Zealand?

Thanks.
ddk
Old Aug 4th 2009, 7:31 am
Banned

CrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really nice

Australians can travel to NZ without visas on Aussie Passports.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 11:31 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by didik
Thanks JAJ. I have emailed the NZ High Commission and it said that I need to "register the child New Zealand Citizenship by Descent".
http://www.citizenship.govt.nz/diawe...t?OpenDocument

Is there any problem to do this?

My follow up question, if i dont get him an NZ Passport, can he travel with an Australian Passport to New Zealand?
Yes. But you should at least get him an NZ citizenship certificate.