New SOL and students

Old May 17th 2010, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default New SOL and students

Hi all,

the job I trained for has been taken off the new SOL.
From what I can make out of the bumf that has been released, I SHOULD be ok, as I was on a student visa on the 8th of Feb this year.......
Am I reading that right? God, I don't think my nerves can take much more of this!
Old May 17th 2010, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: New SOL and students

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Hi all,

the job I trained for has been taken off the new SOL.
From what I can make out of the bumf that has been released, I SHOULD be ok, as I was on a student visa on the 8th of Feb this year.......
Am I reading that right? God, I don't think my nerves can take much more of this!
You will be ok as long as you had applied for your graduate visa before the 8th Feb.

Cheers
Mandy
Old May 17th 2010, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

It actually says you are exempt if on a student visa on the 8th of Feb, I read it as the graduate visa first read too (well, I stopped at that point in a huge panick as I applied for mine a month later), and after calming down read the bit about students. I will apply for PR by the end of next year........ so fingers crossed that means I am fine....
Old May 17th 2010, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

It actually says you are exempt if on a student visa on the 8th of Feb, I read it as the graduate visa first read too (well, I stopped at that point in a huge panick as I applied for mine a month later), and after calming down read the bit about students. I will apply for PR by the end of next year........ so fingers crossed that means I am fine....
It is proposed that if you held one of the eligible student visas as at 8 February 2010 and you wish to apply for a permanent GSM visa that can be granted in Australia after the new list of occupations comes into effect, you would be required to nominate an occupation on that new list. If your nominated occupation is not on the new list, you may still be able to apply for a temporary or permanent employer sponsored visa on completion of your studies to allow you to work in Australia. You would be required to have an employer willing to sponsor you.

Taken from the Q n A section pollyanna posted for new sol list

Cheers
Mandy
Old May 17th 2010, 9:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

According to the FAQ, if you were on the graduate visa 485 you can apply for GSM using the old SOL so long as you apply before December 2012.

But if you were on one of the student visas 572, 573, 574 then you can only apply for a 485 on the basis of the old SOL. In order to get PR, it looks like you are going to need employer or state sponsorship. I assume that means under one of the SMP - still to be released.
Old May 17th 2010, 9:17 am
Bexleyheath to Brisbane

sarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
According to the FAQ, if you were on the graduate visa 485 you can apply for GSM using the old SOL so long as you apply before December 2012.

But if you were on one of the student visas 572, 573, 574 then you can only apply for a 485 on the basis of the old SOL. In order to get PR, it looks like you are going to need employer or state sponsorship. I assume that means under one of the SMP - still to be released.

This is how I have also read it. I am a student and my propsed occupation is also off the list so as I read it, my only option is to get 485 visa do job ready test and try to get an employer to sponsor me permanently. Correct me if I am wrong???
Old May 17th 2010, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

OMG. It doesn't specifically say that, but yes, I can see how that might be what they are saying.
I applied for my 485 less than a month after that date.
It is going to be impossible for me to find a sponsor who will pay me the rates need to sponsor in my field, OMG, my job won't even be on the list of jobs that can be sponsored for!

Any advice before I top myself anyone?
Old May 17th 2010, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarahl322
This is how I have also read it. I am a student and my propsed occupation is also off the list so as I read it, my only option is to get 485 visa do job ready test and try to get an employer to sponsor me permanently. Correct me if I am wrong???
Afraid I think you are more or less correct. The 485 visa option buys students 18 months of time, but then (if their occupation is not on the new SOL) they will need to find sponsorship in order to progress to PR.

This could be employer sponsorship, but according to the FAQ state sponsorship is also an option.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; May 17th 2010 at 9:29 am.
Old May 17th 2010, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Ok, slightly calmer....
Have they relased a list of the jobs that are able to be sponsored for? I have a year and a half to find a company who will pay me those rates.......

State sponsorship.....well, the second half of this year will be a LONG wait to see what is on there.

I can't believe my luck, I was 20 hours short for applying for the TRA in time to skip the job ready test, and now as I was so depressed about that, and wanted to give myself as long as possible on the 485 visa until I knew what changes were coming, I left it as late as possible to apply for my 485 visa, and that has bitten me in the arse!
I really can't believe my shitty luck!
Old May 17th 2010, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, slightly calmer....
Have they relased a list of the jobs that are able to be sponsored for? I have a year and a half to find a company who will pay me those rates.......

State sponsorship.....well, the second half of this year will be a LONG wait to see what is on there.

I can't believe my luck, I was 20 hours short for applying for the TRA in time to skip the job ready test, and now as I was so depressed about that, and wanted to give myself as long as possible on the 485 visa until I knew what changes were coming, I left it as late as possible to apply for my 485 visa, and that has bitten me in the arse!
I really can't believe my shitty luck!
Oh no PB, that's bloody rotten luck... I hope someone comes along with some good news for you soon. Hell
Old May 17th 2010, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

tomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond repute

Oh PB, I really feel for you. I thought that I read somewhere that existing students had more time to use the old SOL list. If I find anything out I'll let you know. All the best, M
Old May 17th 2010, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by tomar
Oh PB, I really feel for you. I thought that I read somewhere that existing students had more time to use the old SOL list. If I find anything out I'll let you know. All the best, M
Tomar, the situation has already been clarified above. Existing students can use the old SOL to get a 485 visa, but not to lodge the GSM application unfortunately.
Old May 17th 2010, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

tomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond repute

Yes sorry I realised that when I read the thread properly. Was too full of sympathy for PB to take the replies in.
Old May 17th 2010, 11:13 pm
Just Joined

gowild is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mandyp
It is proposed that if you held one of the eligible student visas as at 8 February 2010 and you wish to apply for a permanent GSM visa that can be granted in Australia after the new list of occupations comes into effect, you would be required to nominate an occupation on that new list. If your nominated occupation is not on the new list, you may still be able to apply for a temporary or permanent employer sponsored visa on completion of your studies to allow you to work in Australia. You would be required to have an employer willing to sponsor you.

Taken from the Q n A section pollyanna posted for new sol list

Cheers
Mandy
Hi,
I finish my studies in June. Do I need to do the Job ready test if my employer is willing to sponsor me?
So does that mean you don't require a TRA assessment?

Regards
Old May 19th 2010, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Yep, that is what I am now trying to work out gowild, and what the min wages would be.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.