British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Is the new points test tougher? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/new-points-test-tougher-693484/)

QLDlover Nov 14th 2010 2:07 pm

Re: Is the new points test tougher?

Originally Posted by musicalfever4 (Post 8981224)
You can just add 5 points for language if you are accredited by NAATI, a degree from a university, where the majority of courses were taught in the language, doesnt count anymore!

Hi
Are you sure ? Do you have a reference ? Because what DIAC is saying is different
Regards

Bermudashorts Nov 14th 2010 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by r_1159 (Post 8981867)
Hi
Pass mark for 176 visa is 100.

Yes I know that. :rolleyes:

If you actually read my post, I said that at the moment you would only qualify for a visa with state sponsorship, whereas under the new system, with 8 years experience you would qualify without needing a state to sponsor you. And thus I would dispute your claim that the new test is much harder.

QLDlover Nov 14th 2010 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 8981965)
Yes I know that. :rolleyes:

If you actually read my post, I said that at the moment you would only qualify for a visa with state sponsorship, whereas under the new system, with 8 years experience you would qualify without needing a state to sponsor you. And thus I would dispute your claim that the new test is much harder.

True, let me explain something which applies in most of Asian countries:
We usually enter university when we are 19, takes 4 to 5 years to graduate and obtain a BSc degree ( 24), I did masters so I was 26 when I finished my studies,
It means that it is very difficult and sometime impossible for a degree holder to achieve 8 years of exp before turning 32. You either are not able to achieve 30 points for age or 15 points for work experience at the same time
Regards

Big Bob Nov 14th 2010 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by lloydk (Post 8980937)
There are no IELTS points for 6.0 scores in IELTS. Only for 7.0 and above.

It is actually tougher.

For a person (outside Australia) without sponsorship, three years experience and a good IELTS score, the total points can be 125 (good enough for independent)

Age - 30
IELTS - 25
Skill - 60
Work experience (3 yrs) - 10

Under the new system
Age - 30
IELTS (7.0) - 10
Overseas work experience (3 yrs) - 5
Qualification bachelor degree - 10
SS - 5

Total is 60 points, and without SS is 55 points! Either, I have to get a score of 8 IELTS or get 8 years of work experience added.

The IELTS score of 8 is possible, but its ridiculous that I have to prove this high, a level of English. No person, however good his English maybe, can achieve a score of 8 without a couple of mock tests and this involves further spending. I find that part extremely unfair!

In short, if your occupation is not listed on a state or is full and you don't have eligible sponsors in Australia, its much tougher than the existing points system.

What i feel as DIAC used to give eg. of Harvard Graduate vs. Hairdresser in which Harvard Graduate fails DIAC point test and latter one passed. So they have designed new points test to skilled experienced people.

For me :

Old Point system:

Skill: 60
IELETS :25
Experience:10
Total :125

New Point System:
IELTS (7.0) - 10
Overseas work experience (5 yrs) - 10
Qualification bachelor degree - 10
SS - 5
Total :65 (Just passed):blink:

Same as lloydk, I am too a borderline case. Unless and until i get 8+ in IELETS I am also in same situation.I cannot launch an independent subclass 175 after July 2011 and my fate is all on SMP lists & state sponsorships.:ohmy: . All in all , the only way I pass the test is to get state sponsorship.
regards
Bob

Dorothy Nov 14th 2010 3:20 pm

It's not just Asian countries that you enter University at 19. In Ontario (Canada) where I'm from I would have finished secondary school at age 18 and entered uni at 19.

As has been said; the points test isn't harder or easier. Just different. Australia has changed the calibre of migrant they are looking for now with more emphasis on highly educated people rather than trades. It used to be that if you were a tradesperson it was relatively easy to get a skilled visa. Now it's more difficult. However, the Australian government is changing the system to attract the people they feel would be of most benefit to Australia.

I'm not sure why some people are even debating this when they have already submitted their visa applications. :confused: The changes will not come into effect for well over 7 months anyway, so plenty of time for people to get their applications in now if they don't feel they could pass the new points test.

mcgwire Nov 14th 2010 4:21 pm

We're missing one fact. DIAC said they will announce how to recognize overseas qualification next year. According to previous point review paper, they mentioned an example of criteria such as world ranking. So our overseas qualification may be not recognized and not awarded 15 points.
Also new point test is much tougher for international graduates.
For example, someone is 33 yrs and finished his study in Sydney.
Also he does't have any experience.
IELTS: 10
Qulufication: 15
Aussie study: 5

As a result, he can't receive 65 points even if he undertake PY.
Also, if 27 yrs guy finish his study in Sydney and has 7 IELTS,
He can't receive 65 points unless he complete PY.

I think most Aussie universities will face financial crisis due to the significant decrease of overseas students. I think Aussie law makes are stupid.
They will lose their education market.

QLDlover Nov 14th 2010 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by musicalfever4 (Post 8981224)
You can just add 5 points for language if you are accredited by NAATI, a degree from a university, where the majority of courses were taught in the language, doesnt count anymore!

Fluency in one of Australia's community languages as evidenced by a qualification (of equivalent standard to an Australian degree) gained from a university where instruction was in one of the above listed languages
or
be accredited with the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI) at the professional level (translator/interpreter level).

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...y-language.htm

obelixous Nov 14th 2010 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 8982020)
I'm not sure why some people are even debating this when they have already submitted their visa applications. :confused: The changes will not come into effect for well over 7 months anyway, so plenty of time for people to get their applications in now if they don't feel they could pass the new points test.

Does some one know what will be the impact of the new points test on already lodged applications?

QLDlover Nov 14th 2010 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by obelixous (Post 8982240)
Does some one know what will be the impact of the new points test on already lodged applications?

No impact as described by minister
Regards

mcgwire Nov 14th 2010 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by QLDlover (Post 8982238)
Fluency in one of Australia's community languages as evidenced by a qualification (of equivalent standard to an Australian degree) gained from a university where instruction was in one of the above listed languages
or
be accredited with the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI) at the professional level (translator/interpreter level).

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...y-language.htm

See "FAQ-new point tests" from DIAC.
They described we can be awarded 5 points only if we are qualified by NAATI.

lloydk Nov 14th 2010 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8981679)
Without ever having had to do IELTS myself, I'm basing this on what others have said on here, but it does seem that it isn't always that easy for native English speakers to get perfect/high scores. A lot of us aren't that good at using "pure" or "correct" English, especially if we left school years ago, use a lot of slang etc. Add to that the simple pressure of an exam situation and many people have reported struggling for good scores.

Those of you who have sailed through it, or have partners that have done so, well done :thumbsup: but please don't assume its that easy for every native English speaker to do the same.

This is very true. Though I'm a native English speaker living in a non-English speaking country, I find the parts like Listening a little tough - maybe that's because I have a short attention span - I dunno. I had a perfect band score in writing and speaking in the mock test that I took. The test is designed essentially for non-native English speakers. My sister who works as a councilor for the British Council says that there are many non-native English speakers with thick accents and fairly accurate grammar getting good band scores when they practice a lot. She also mentioned that sometimes the tests are quite easy. However, the English level of these high band scorers remains effectively the same.

In the end, I don't feel its a practical demonstration of one's superiority of the language. Eventually, it comes down to technicality and even native English speakers would see themselves taking this test to get a good score. If you have a short attention span like me, you'll need to take up practice tests for certain modules and that involves money. How embarrassing would it be for a native English speaker to take up the test again as his overall band score didn't reach 8 to get the required points.

With aggressive marketing of IDP in the country I live in, to me it ultimately translates to a money making scheme.

Rossi Nov 14th 2010 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by lloydk (Post 8982633)
With aggressive marketing of IDP in the country I live in, to me it ultimately translates to a money making scheme.

So ,
do you want to apply for a visa with the best possible chance of a satisfactory outcome or not ???

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but Australia makes the rules of who gets the right to reside, and also what the benchmark to pass the entrance test is......... if you do not like the new system, then it's your choice as to whether you are prepared to jump thru the hoops or look for a different venture.

No amount of bitching and whinging on a public forum will alter the ministerial directives.

QLDlover Nov 14th 2010 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by mcgwire (Post 8982260)
See "FAQ-new point tests" from DIAC.
They described we can be awarded 5 points only if we are qualified by NAATI.

True , just saw that in Factsheet, thanks for information
Regards

lloydk Nov 15th 2010 12:01 am

Originally Posted by Rossi (Post 8982638)
So ,
do you want to apply for a visa with the best possible chance of a satisfactory outcome or not ???

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but Australia makes the rules of who gets the right to reside, and also what the benchmark to pass the entrance test is......... if you do not like the new system, then it's your choice as to whether you are prepared to jump thru the hoops or look for a different venture.

No amount of bitching and whinging on a public forum will alter the ministerial directives.

Agreed. That's why I took up the test with British Council rather than with IDP :p

Who knows, these laws need to be ratified by Parliament. If there are enough voices from within their Parliament that brings up the same valid reasons, then that's good. I'm just saying - with UK immigration they consider degrees that were taught in English as valid demonstrations of English competency.

Anyway, I do my IELTS in December and I'm already aiming for an overall 8, in case there's some valid delay for the application of my visa. :fingerscrossed:

musicalfever4 Nov 15th 2010 12:16 am

Originally Posted by QLDlover (Post 8981884)
Hi
Are you sure ? Do you have a reference ? Because what DIAC is saying is different
Regards

Under the new points test will applicants still be able to claim points for fluency in a designated community language?
Yes. The new points test will award five points to applicants who meet the requirements to claim points for community language.
Will the new points test change the evidence required to claim points for community language?
Yes. The new points test will recognise applicants who are accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI) in a designated language.
Points for designated language will no longer be able to be claimed on the basis of having obtained a qualification from a university where instruction was in that language.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...ts-testfaq.pdf