Is the new points test tougher?

Old Nov 14th 2010, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Is the new points test tougher?

What's your impression, generally?
Old Nov 14th 2010, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Is the new points test tougher?

For me it would have been easier - without sponsorship even - but guess it depends upon age and quals to a greater extent.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

QLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really nice

Originally Posted by caliburn
Its absolutely tougher
My current score
IELTS: 15
Experience:10
Language:5
SS:10
total = 125 ( 25 points above pass mark)

New point system
Exp:10
MSC degree: 15
SS:5
Total = 65 ( on the border )!

I am a degree holder with 8 years of exp in my nominated occupation!
So this new point system is not in the favor of degree holders as well
Regards
Old Nov 14th 2010, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by r_1159
Its absolutely tougher
My current score

New point system

Regards
You didn't add IELTS points in the new scoring!
Old Nov 14th 2010, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

lloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nice

You didn't add IELTS points in the new scoring!
There are no IELTS points for 6.0 scores in IELTS. Only for 7.0 and above.

It is actually tougher.

For a person (outside Australia) without sponsorship, three years experience and a good IELTS score, the total points can be 125 (good enough for independent)

Age - 30
IELTS - 25
Skill - 60
Work experience (3 yrs) - 10

Under the new system
Age - 30
IELTS (7.0) - 10
Overseas work experience (3 yrs) - 5
Qualification bachelor degree - 10
SS - 5

Total is 60 points, and without SS is 55 points! Either, I have to get a score of 8 IELTS or get 8 years of work experience added.

The IELTS score of 8 is possible, but its ridiculous that I have to prove this high, a level of English. No person, however good his English maybe, can achieve a score of 8 without a couple of mock tests and this involves further spending. I find that part extremely unfair!

In short, if your occupation is not listed on a state or is full and you don't have eligible sponsors in Australia, its much tougher than the existing points system.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

oz_dreamz09 is just really niceoz_dreamz09 is just really niceoz_dreamz09 is just really niceoz_dreamz09 is just really niceoz_dreamz09 is just really niceoz_dreamz09 is just really niceoz_dreamz09 is just really niceoz_dreamz09 is just really niceoz_dreamz09 is just really niceoz_dreamz09 is just really nice

Well,I dont think DIAC is out there to make it easy or difficult to people to enter AU and settle there through GSM.. they have there own guidelines and criteria to filter people like any other country according to their needs..its well and good if one meets it, if one does not, there is always someone else..

Originally Posted by lloydk
There are no IELTS points for 6.0 scores in IELTS. Only for 7.0 and above.

It is actually tougher.

For a person (outside Australia) without sponsorship, three years experience and a good IELTS score, the total points can be 125 (good enough for independent)

Age - 30
IELTS - 25
Skill - 60
Work experience (3 yrs) - 10

Under the new system
Age - 30
IELTS (7.0) - 10
Overseas work experience (3 yrs) - 5
Qualification bachelor degree - 10
SS - 5

Total is 60 points, and without SS is 55 points! Either, I have to get a score of 8 IELTS or get 8 years of work experience added.

The IELTS score of 8 is possible, but its ridiculous that I have to prove this high, a level of English. No person, however good his English maybe, can achieve a score of 8 without a couple of mock tests and this involves further spending. I find that part extremely unfair!

In short, if your occupation is not listed on a state or is full and you don't have eligible sponsors in Australia, its much tougher than the existing points system.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

sufyan_victoria will become famous soon enoughsufyan_victoria will become famous soon enough

Its absolutely tougher
My current score

New point system

Regards

You have eight years of experience , why are you not awarding 15 points for that?
Old Nov 14th 2010, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

StokieDoug will become famous soon enoughStokieDoug will become famous soon enough

Here's my £0.02's worth:
1) The old system was incredibly biased against people who were over 30 years old, even though those people would have the same qualification as people under 30 as well as more work experience. The new system addresses this issue.

2) The new system is biased towards people with a superior grasp of the English language. Whether this is a good thing or not is open to debate.

3) I also think it was a good move to remove the points awarded for your occupation. For example if you were a Dental Hygienist, under the old system you were awarded 40 points. How on earth could you get to 120 points??

Overall I think it is impossible to have a 100% fair system but I do think that the new system is fairer than the old one.

<puts on tin hat>

Doug
Old Nov 14th 2010, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

musicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nice

Its absolutely tougher
My current score

New point system

Regards
You can just add 5 points for language if you are accredited by NAATI, a degree from a university, where the majority of courses were taught in the language, doesnt count anymore!
Old Nov 14th 2010, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

It is perfectly possible to get a score over 8 on the language tests without doing practice runs- my husband did just that. All he did was read through the info that he had been given about the tests. He had to take the test to get the extra 5 points he needed, due to his advanced age of 44 when he applied.
When he turned up he was asked what he was doing there, as everyone else was a non native speaker, (well he is Welsh!!), so after the basic formalities he talked about rugby. He was awarded perfect scores for everything except writing, as his scrawl is so illegible that he has to use block capitals to make sure that it could be read. He works in IT so isn't used to using a pen so much!
Old Nov 14th 2010, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
It is perfectly possible to get a score over 8 on the language tests without doing practice runs- my husband did just that. All he did was read through the info that he had been given about the tests. He had to take the test to get the extra 5 points he needed, due to his advanced age of 44 when he applied.
When he turned up he was asked what he was doing there, as everyone else was a non native speaker, (well he is Welsh!!), so after the basic formalities he talked about rugby. He was awarded perfect scores for everything except writing, as his scrawl is so illegible that he has to use block capitals to make sure that it could be read. He works in IT so isn't used to using a pen so much!
Indeed, scores of 8 and 9 are perfectly achievable for native English speakers with no practice. Husband also went to test with no prior practice and scored 9 in all modules. It might be harder for non native speakers, but I do believe that a 7 or an 8 are easily achievable if you have a good level of English, which you WILL need to settle well in Australia.

BTW, with the new system, we wouldn't pass without state sponsorship even though we'd been here 5 years when we applied, whereas we scored 125 under the old system!
What has been said is right though, the new system allows more leeway for older applicants with strong experience, which I believe is not a bad thing.
It just seems very rigid in the work experience calculations, and I wonder if case officers will be allowed any fexibility when assessing individual cases...
Old Nov 14th 2010, 10:48 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
Indeed, scores of 8 and 9 are perfectly achievable for native English speakers with no practice. Husband also went to test with no prior practice and scored 9 in all modules. It might be harder for non native speakers, but I do believe that a 7 or an 8 are easily achievable if you have a good level of English, which you WILL need to settle well in Australia.

BTW, with the new system, we wouldn't pass without state sponsorship even though we'd been here 5 years when we applied, whereas we scored 125 under the old system!
What has been said is right though, the new system allows more leeway for older applicants with strong experience, which I believe is not a bad thing.
It just seems very rigid in the work experience calculations, and I wonder if case officers will be allowed any fexibility when assessing individual cases...
I don't believe that the IELTS is an easy test for native English speakers. It was designed for non-native speakers and many, if not most, English speakers are long past having to take English exams. My husband for one would never have got higher than 7s in his written or listening parts. He has a very mild learning disablility which makes his writing and comprehension skills lower than average, however he's an engineer.

Case officers will not be allowed any flexibility. They have to abide by the rules for everyone equally.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 12:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Without ever having had to do IELTS myself, I'm basing this on what others have said on here, but it does seem that it isn't always that easy for native English speakers to get perfect/high scores. A lot of us aren't that good at using "pure" or "correct" English, especially if we left school years ago, use a lot of slang etc. Add to that the simple pressure of an exam situation and many people have reported struggling for good scores.

Those of you who have sailed through it, or have partners that have done so, well done but please don't assume its that easy for every native English speaker to do the same.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 12:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Its absolutely tougher
My current score

New point system

Regards
So you would not reach the threshold for skilled migration at the moment without a state sponsor. i.e. you would have only 115 points or possibly only 110 points as those 5points for language are not easy to get.

Whereas in the new system, because you would get 15 years for your work experience, not 10, you would pass without a state sponsorship. Doesn't that mean it is more suited to your situation not less suited?

The test is just different, it will suit some people's situation more than others, it is not harder or easier.

Just looked at my own situation. I could get 65 points under the new test, but if I wanted to apply for a 175 today under the current points system I would not have enough points.

(I had enough points when I applied 18 months ago because I was in a different age category then and I had MODL points.)
Old Nov 15th 2010, 1:53 am
BE Enthusiast

QLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really niceQLDlover is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
So you would not reach the threshold for skilled migration at the moment without a state sponsor. i.e. you would have only 115 points or possibly only 110 points as those 5points for language are not easy to get.

Whereas in the new system, because you would get 15 years for your work experience, not 10, you would pass without a state sponsorship. Doesn't that mean it is more suited to your situation not less suited?

The test is just different, it will suit some people's situation more than others, it is not harder or easier.

Just looked at my own situation. I could get 65 points under the new test, but if I wanted to apply for a 175 today under the current points system I would not have enough points.

(I had enough points when I applied 18 months ago because I was in a different age category then and I had MODL points.)
Hi
Pass mark for 176 visa is 100. It means that I have 25 points extra at present while it is gonna change to 65 similar to 175 visa and I am hardly able to reach to the pass mark as I had not completed 8 years (7 years and 8 months) when I lodged my visa application.
and even with SS points I have 65 points
Why am I not able to get 5 points for language ? any reason?
Regards

Last edited by QLDlover; Nov 15th 2010 at 1:58 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.