Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

New here! Am I doing the right things to emigrate??

New here! Am I doing the right things to emigrate??

Old May 27th 2007, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

corey27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New here! Am I doing the right things to emigrate??

Hi everyone! I want to move to Australia some time on the near future. I am currently at college training to be a chef. I have heard conflicting evidence that I should be working as a chef during that time although it said somewhere that I had to be working as one for the previous 12 months before I apply for a visa. I dont know which is right. Please help!!
Old May 27th 2007, 9:57 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New here! Am I doing the right things to emigrate??

Originally Posted by corey27
Hi everyone! I want to move to Australia some time on the near future. I am currently at college training to be a chef. I have heard conflicting evidence that I should be working as a chef during that time although it said somewhere that I had to be working as one for the previous 12 months before I apply for a visa. I dont know which is right. Please help!!
Hi Corey,

Depends on how you want to come to Australia. If you are planning to come on a working holiday visa and get sponsored after arrival, then you don't need much previous work experience.

If on the other hand you were hoping to get a permanent visa immediately then you might need more than 12 months - up to six years depending on your college and training - before you could qualify.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old May 28th 2007, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

corey27 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you George. Do you know how I would find a list of colleges that would show me this? Also can I take my family with me on a working visa? I would like to go for a permanent visa though.
Old May 28th 2007, 9:55 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by corey27
Thank you George. Do you know how I would find a list of colleges that would show me this? Also can I take my family with me on a working visa? I would like to go for a permanent visa though.
Hi Corey,

Life's too short to work through all the training possibilities that you might be undergoing but the short answer is to look at the Uniform Assessment Criteria on the TRA website and determine which pathway looks like you. It's not as simple as a list of colleges and qualifications unfortunately. The one definite conclusion I can reach is that you won't qualify for PR immediately.

And for a working holiday visa you can't get one if you've got children or are over 31 so possibly you need to book in for a long chat with a registered migration agent or spend a couple of hours reading material on www.immi.gov.au and reviewing posts on this website.

Cheers,

George Lombard