New to forum.TRA question.Please help.

Old Feb 19th 2006, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

gray has a brilliant futuregray has a brilliant futuregray has a brilliant futuregray has a brilliant futuregray has a brilliant futuregray has a brilliant futuregray has a brilliant future
Post New to forum.TRA question.Please help.

Hello to all forum members.I am hoping to apply for a skilled independent visa (subclass 136) for Australia in the next few months.
As you can imagine,I have many questions.
My first query regards TRA job descriptions.I work for a electrical & mechanical engineering company,as a FITTER.I served a informal apprenticeship for this company,and have a total of 14 years worth of experience in the job.
I repair & service electric motors,pumping equipment,gearboxes,heating & ventilation equipment,and all types of catering equipment.I can also operate all machine shop equipment(lathes/milling machines e.t.c...),and all types of welding equipment.I also carry out 'on site repairs' & 'site maintenance'.
In your opinion would the TRA class me as a FITTER (4112-11) or a GENERAL MECHANICAL TRADES PERSON (4111-11) or another profession ?
The main reason I ask this,is that I have noticed that a FITTER is currently on the Occupation In Demands list, and being classed as the would help greatly.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, Gray.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 9:50 am
Just Joined

conkishay is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: New to forum.TRA question.Please help.

Originally Posted by gray
Hello to all forum members.I am hoping to apply for a skilled independent visa (subclass 136) for Australia in the next few months.
My first query regards TRA job descriptions.I work for a electrical & mechanical engineering company,as a FITTER.I served a informal apprenticeship for this company,and have a total of 14 years worth of experience in the job.
I repair & service electric motors,pumping equipment,gearboxes,heating & ventilation equipment,and all types of catering equipment.I can also operate all machine shop equipment(lathes/milling machines e.t.c...),and all types of welding equipment.I also carry out 'on site repairs' & 'site maintenance'.
In your opinion would the TRA class me as a FITTER (4112-11) or a GENERAL MECHANICAL TRADES PERSON (4111-11) or another profession ?
The main reason I ask this,is that I have noticed that a FITTER is currently on the Occupation In Demands list, and being classed as the would help greatly.

Hi there, you need to look at the list of skills listed under each of the classifications and go under the one where you can prove that you have all of the skills needed. However bear in mind that if they do not feel that you fit the occupation that you have chosen but fall better into another catagory they will change it for you. My husband applied under plumber/gasfitter but got a positive TRA for General Plumber, much to our satisfaction as General Plumbers went onto the MODL list in July and Gasfitter did not. Hope that helps.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 10:18 am
yeah but no but

glennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: New to forum.TRA question.Please help.

We had exactly the same concerns - however we got a copy of what fitters do according to the TRA. Although hubby does everything they ask for, he also does other stuff thats on the General Mechanical. So we really pushed all of the things they asked for on the FITTER side and gave only small mentions to the other stuff.
This seemed to work for us.
Good Luck
Old Feb 19th 2006, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

gray has a brilliant futuregray has a brilliant futuregray has a brilliant futuregray has a brilliant futuregray has a brilliant futuregray has a brilliant futuregray has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by glennandkate
We had exactly the same concerns - however we got a copy of what fitters do according to the TRA. Although hubby does everything they ask for, he also does other stuff thats on the General Mechanical. So we really pushed all of the things they asked for on the FITTER side and gave only small mentions to the other stuff.
This seemed to work for us.
Good Luck
Thanks for the reply glennandkate,its good to know that someone had the same concerns,and that you got a positive TRA result.Well done !
Could I please ask,where did you find a copy of 'what fitters do according to the TRA'.Also did you use an agent ? If so,who,and would you recommend them.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 11:12 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Type the ASCO Code into the search box at this website: www.abs.gov.au

It will give you the descriptors for the occupation in question.

And we are always happy to discuss visa strategy and skills assessment applications - http://www.gomatilda.com/contact.cfm#appraisal
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=371

Best regards.

Thanks for the reply glennandkate,its good to know that someone had the same concerns,and that you got a positive TRA result.Well done !
Could I please ask,where did you find a copy of 'what fitters do according to the TRA'.Also did you use an agent ? If so,who,and would you recommend them.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 4:51 pm
yeah but no but

glennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Gray, I see from the reply above you have been provided with the info you need. No we didn't use an agent, we need all the money we can get at the moment so are just going on a wing and a prayer...
Old Feb 19th 2006, 8:38 pm
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Gray,

We used the above agent and our application went through lightning fast,, I was 136 modl, tra back in less than a month, ack to visa in 3 months 3 days.

Very efficient, helpful and well worth the money.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

Post Re: New to forum.TRA question.Please help.

Many thanks to everyone who has replied to my post.I have learnt quite a lot from you all.
However having looked at the TRA descriptions of FITTER (4111-12),and GENERAL MECHANICAL ENGINEERING TRADES PERSON (4111-11),I am more confused than ever.Neither description sounds like my job.I work for an Electrical & Mechanical Engineering company as a 'MAINTENANCE FITTER'.I maintain & repair electric motors,pump units,gearboxes,heating & ventilation equipment and catering equipment,'in house' & 'on site'.My job involves machining,welding,shrink fitting of parts e.t.c..when required,but this is not the main area of my work.
Which TRA category best suits my skills?
Thanks again,Gray.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 10:34 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

For reference, that's one of the objectives of our stage 1 skills assessment review ...

Best regards.

Many thanks to everyone who has replied to my post.I have learnt quite a lot from you all.
However having looked at the TRA descriptions of FITTER (4111-12),and GENERAL MECHANICAL ENGINEERING TRADES PERSON (4111-11),I am more confused than ever.Neither description sounds like my job.I work for an Electrical & Mechanical Engineering company as a 'MAINTENANCE FITTER'.I maintain & repair electric motors,pump units,gearboxes,heating & ventilation equipment and catering equipment,'in house' & 'on site'.My job involves machining,welding,shrink fitting of parts e.t.c..when required,but this is not the main area of my work.
Which TRA category best suits my skills?
Thanks again,Gray.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

Post Re: New to forum.TRA question.Please help.

Looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get myself an agent.I was hoping to apply my self,as I feel I have quite a straight forward case.Visa application should be relatively easy,but the TRA assessment seems like it may be difficult to do alone.