Need some advice on parents visa

Old Feb 13th 2007, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

Michelle Hastings is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need some advice on parents visa

Hi

My parents (who are in the early 60's) are thinking of moving to Australia. We are due to arrive in April. I know that they cannot apply until we have been living in Australia for at least a year (or two?), but I just wondered if anyone knew if it was possible as my brother will still be living in the UK.

I have heard that they would need a certain amount of money to show that they could look after themselves without claiming for pension etc. is this true?
Old Feb 13th 2007, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

lfc4eva is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Need some advice on parents visa

Originally Posted by Michelle Hastings
Hi

My parents (who are in the early 60's) are thinking of moving to Australia. We are due to arrive in April. I know that they cannot apply until we have been living in Australia for at least a year (or two?), but I just wondered if anyone knew if it was possible as my brother will still be living in the UK.

I have heard that they would need a certain amount of money to show that they could look after themselves without claiming for pension etc. is this true?
i seen a similar question on this site yesterday, there are 3 types of visa ,the first costing about 33000 aud . very expensive but this would entitle the applicant to free australian healthcare , the other visa's are approx 3 or 4000 aud but you'd have to have your own health insurance/cover. the price i seen was for ONE o.a.p. may be double for both.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 8:54 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lfc4eva
i seen a similar question on this site yesterday, there are 3 types of visa ,the first costing about 33000 aud . very expensive but this would entitle the applicant to free australian healthcare , the other visa's are approx 3 or 4000 aud but you'd have to have your own health insurance/cover. the price i seen was for ONE o.a.p. may be double for both.

You are a bit mixed up here.

If parents pass the balance of family test (at least half their children in Australia) then they will be eligible for a Contributory parent visa. This costs around $30000 per person plus and AOS of $14000 for a couple. You need to be there for 2 years to sponsor and have 2 years tax returns to assure.

The alternative is the non contributory parent visa which is cheaper but has a wait of 12-15 years.

There are not really any practical alternatives.

G
Old Feb 13th 2007, 9:12 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Hi

Hi

.... and welcome to the forum

Grayling has given you the basic info you need before you can make a start - also check out the Contributoty Parent thread in the Barbie section - its now rather long and needs some serious "weeding" but it will give you the general feel for this visa and the ups and downs your parents could, and probably would, encounter on the way.

For what its worth, this visa is one that you can handle yourselves - ie no agent required - assuming that all the personal circumstances (medical etc) are straightforward (IMO).

Regards

Jim
Old Feb 14th 2007, 8:38 am
Just Joined

Michelle Hastings is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your advice. Gives me something to think about. At least I have a rough idea now on how much money is involved and that there is some hope of them joining us eventually.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 10:16 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for your advice. Gives me something to think about. At least I have a rough idea now on how much money is involved and that there is some hope of them joining us eventually.
Hello Michelle

We forgot to mention that Booklet 3 on the DIMA (DIMAC ?) site is essential reading regarding family migration - www.immi.gov.au - its all there for you.

Jim