Need Help Please

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

Nancy16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need Help Please

My son in law has been offered a very high profile job in Australia and I am so pleased for him. My daughter and grandsons are desperate for me to go out soon after them but from what I've read this may not be easy.

They will both be working and I will look after the boys when they are not in school.

Unfortunately I cannot afford to retire officially in Australia or pay for a contributory visa.

Is there anyway round this? I will be financially independent as I have two pensions.

Thanks.

Nancy
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 1:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need Help Please

Originally Posted by Nancy16
My son in law has been offered a very high profile job in Australia and I am so pleased for him. My daughter and grandsons are desperate for me to go out soon after them but from what I've read this may not be easy.

They will both be working and I will look after the boys when they are not in school.

Unfortunately I cannot afford to retire officially in Australia or pay for a contributory visa.

Is there anyway round this? I will be financially independent as I have two pensions.

Thanks.

Nancy
Hi Nancy

I am afraid that it is not easy to bring parents over to Australia. Assuming you are not a very young grandmother, who might still be able to go in your own right, there are only a few options.

The first two you have already ruled out, including the contributory parent visa which is probbaly the most common route for parents. There is a non contributory version of this, but the waiting preiod is really long, about ten years.

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 1:57 pm
Banned

Ozwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to all

Thanks.

Nancy
There is a kind of backdoor approach I've read of Nancy and it works on the basis of your daughter and SIL needing to have PR [ which could take some time, depending on their visa ] to sponsor you on a standard parent visa if you are eligible.

The backdoor process goes like:
. Apply for a 12 months tourist visa and because they can be granted with a latest entry date 12 months from issue and allow a 12 months stay from latest entry, you apply for one once the family is on their way or here and you head on out though you could look at getting it to co-incide as close as possible to their departure [ and that's just logistics on making time in Australia available Vs Cost of booking a flight at short notice ].
. Just before the latest entry date is up you do a quick flight over to NZ and back before that date - you then have another 12 months.

When you have to leave again, hopefully the SIL and family will have PR or it'll be close and you leave again for another short trip and this time you re-enter on an ETA that'll not have a No Further Stay condition on it like the tourist visa will likely have.

Once back in Australia with a NFS condition you can apply onshore for a parent visa and though it can be quite a wait, perhaps 8-10 years, you'll get a bridging visa to allow you to stay, details @ http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/aged/804/ .

There is a DIAC site reference to Ministerial provision; I remember at time reading it to have difficulty interpreting it and with the whole scenario, I'd expect the people wanting your SIL may be using an agent and you ought to suggest if they want you along, that they get the agent or an agent sorting it out for you, a few agents on this forum who no doubt could, and there may be other options.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much for the information. With my research I was beginning to think there was a chance but now with this I know there is.

No it wasn't an agent. He applied for a job and the owner of the company stopped off at Heathrow on his way to Israel to interview him.....like you do!!!

Six hours later, he offered him the job. Responsibility in the company for eastern Australia. I'm bursting with pride!!

Thank you again.

Nancy
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 2:22 pm
Banned

Ozwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to all

Thank you so much for the information. With my research I was beginning to think there was a chance but now with this I know there is.

No it wasn't an agent. He applied for a job and the owner of the company stopped off at Heathrow on his way to Israel to interview him.....like you do!!!

Six hours later, he offered him the job. Responsibility in the company for eastern Australia. I'm bursting with pride!!

Thank you again.

Nancy
That's great Nancy and what I meant re agent is that the owner/company and your SIL will likely use an agent to process the company/job/family immigration arangements and you ought to have them footing the bill for an agent to handle your needs too.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 2:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I would be interested to know if anyone has actually achieved this as it sounds to good to be true. You have to wonder why all those people pay £35k for their contributory visa when there is such an easy option available.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 2:32 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I would be interested to know if anyone has actually achieved this as it sounds to good to be true. You have to wonder why all those people pay £35k for their contributory visa when there is such an easy option available.
Yep Bermuda, people have done it and I suppose why people are prepared to go the contibutory route is that they aren't into making short trips out of the country, returning on an ETA and then being on a bridging visa for a lengthy time .

If you go to that other UK place and actually have a look for them in Adelaide, I think you'll be able to dig out a descriptive article along the lines of what I've suggested.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

Well I am going to try and see what happens. Interesting idea about the agent.......I misunderstood what you meant.

Son law is going out for a month so hopefully he'll find all these things out.

Thanks again

Nancy
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 10:40 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozwanderer
The backdoor process goes like:
. Apply for a 12 months tourist visa and because they can be granted with a latest entry date 12 months from issue and allow a 12 months stay from latest entry, you apply for one once the family is on their way or here and you head on out though you could look at getting it to co-incide as close as possible to their departure [ and that's just logistics on making time in Australia available Vs Cost of booking a flight at short notice ].
. Just before the latest entry date is up you do a quick flight over to NZ and back before that date - you then have another 12 months.

When you have to leave again, hopefully the SIL and family will have PR or it'll be close and you leave again for another short trip and this time you re-enter on an ETA that'll not have a No Further Stay condition on it like the tourist visa will likely have.

Once back in Australia with a NFS condition you can apply onshore for a parent visa and though it can be quite a wait, perhaps 8-10 years, you'll get a bridging visa to allow you to stay, details @ http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/aged/804/ .
Sigh.

Immigration would have every right to refuse entry and send the applicant home on the next plane. Not a "genuine visitor" etc.

What would be the plan for healthcare?

Health often declines in older people over a 10-15 year period (can cause refusal of permanent residence) and this will usually be worse by the stress of living in a state of marginal legality with no assurances for the future.

If the son in law has such a "high profile job" and migration is such a priority, perhaps he can pay for the contributory parent visa? Or the funds can come from a mortgage on the house pending sale, lots of people find the money this way.

Also, it's unclear whether there's even eligibility for a parent visa, balance of family test, etc.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

Immigration would have every right to refuse entry and send the applicant home on the next plane. Not a "genuine visitor" etc.

Health often declines in older people over a 10-15 year period (can cause refusal of permanent residence) and this will usually be worse by the stress of living in a state of marginal legality with no assurances for the future.

If the son in law has such a "high profile job" and migration is such a priority, perhaps he can pay for the contributory parent visa? Or the funds can come from a mortgage on the house pending sale, lots of people find the money this way.

Also, it's unclear whether there's even eligibility for a parent visa, balance of family test, etc.

Life unfortunately isn't always so neat and there will be no profit from the house. They are already in negative equity. As for the rest, well we'll just have to wait and see.....won't we.

Nancy
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 11:05 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by JAJ
Sigh.

There's certainly no certainty with a lot of immigration issues nor declining health either JAJ, yet some older people can remain quite active and healthier than a lot of younger people.
http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/fami...ituted-676.htm is the reference to ministerial provision I posted on and whilst not using an ETA I'm not too sure on how they get their substituted 676 - possibly from ministers decision after an MRT appeal is it and why a successful ETA approach may be better but as I've said, best for her to have an agent sort it out for her.

Private health care can be looked as an addition to Medicare as many of us do, www.iselect.com.au being a comparison site Nancy.

Nancy may also elect to keep a house for the time being if she owns one in the UK and if she thinks of the bridging time as an extended holiday, that for me would keep my stress to a minimum, maybe even remove it entirely! in sunnier downunder.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Oz....I was just about to slit my throat! lol

I need to be positive at present with everything going and if it doesn't happen then it doesn't happen but I can't NOT try.

I may be older but I ain't dead....YET!

Nancy
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 11:42 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Oz....I was just about to slit my throat! lol

I need to be positive at present with everything going and if it doesn't happen then it doesn't happen but I can't NOT try.

I may be older but I ain't dead....YET!

Nancy
JAJ's advice is very valid though, and you should note it especially the part that says
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 1:48 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Once back in Australia with a NFS condition .
What is that? It's an acronym I'm not sure I've seen before. Is it another one of your own?

Life unfortunately isn't always so neat and there will be no profit from the house. They are already in negative equity. As for the rest, well we'll just have to wait and see.....won't we.

Nancy
It would be a shame for you to come over on a tourist visa and have immigration turn you around at the border. Or even worse to get here and become ill but not have health care. I'll tell you a story about a woman who that happened to.
I work in the cardiology department at a large hospital in Australia where I book procedures for patients. A woman who was here on a temporary visa had a mild heart attack and was seen in the public hospital system. No worries, as emergency care is covered by the reciprocal healthcare agreement between Australia and UK. She was advised to have an elective coronary angiogram +/- stents to her possibly occluded coronary arteries. However, because her angiogram/stent was not considered emergency procedures her choices were to pay (well over $10k AUD) for the treatment or go home to UK to have it done by NHS. Not really a situation where I would like to "wait and see what happens".
Originally Posted by Pollyana
JAJ's advice is very valid though, and you should note it especially the part that says
Listen to the advice given by Pollyana and JAJ. The majority of posters here on this forum are NOT migration agents even if they post in a style which may make you think they are. The advice they give on backdoor approaches to stay in the country is worth about what you've paid for it. It is not legal to live in Australia on a tourist visa no matter what anyone tells you. And as I said, it would be a terrible shame for you to come to Australia for what you thought would be a 12 month stay (with the intent of extending that) only to be turned around at the border with a reentry ban.

Speak to a registered migration agent for options. If there is a way to do it legally they would know.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 2:06 am
Banned

Once back in Australia with a NFS condition .

What is that? It's an acronym I'm not sure I've seen before. Is it another one of your own?
In this case Dorothy it is an abbreviation of No Further Stay as I've used so close above, ie, a re-read will show

Once back in Australia with a NFS condition
It is in fact very frequently referred to in discussions on the forum, DIAC detail @
http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sh...dition8503.htm

It is not legal to live in Australia on a tourist visa no matter what anyone tells you.
I would certainly want to be living on any visa that I used to come to Australia and that is totally legal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.