need to divorce :(

Old Sep 3rd 2001, 2:02 am
Dropx

Hi everyone, I have some bad situation that I need urgent help.

I came to Australia in November 1999 as in prospective marriage visa and I got
married in april 2000. Now I am holding a temporary visa till May then I will get my
permanent visa. But the things are not really working out between my wife and me so I
am looking for a divorce. My question is, if we get divorced can I still get my
permanent resindence, or do I have to leave the country? I am also working on
permanent basis in a very respectible internet company as a programmer for more than
a year. I seek an urgent advice and even could hire a lawyer if needed. I am looking
forward to hear from you soon...

thank you

dropx

Old Sep 3rd 2001, 7:28 pm
Anon

Try switching visa classes -- your company would probably sponsor you, what with the
supposedly huge IT deficit!

I flagged Mr. Lombard's name in hopes that this one won't go missed by him. As you
will see his an extremely knowledgeable and respected contributor to this board.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 3rd 2001, 7:54 pm
Jaj

In general, if your relationship breaks up (incl separation or divorce), you must
inform DIMA. Your PR application will then be refused unless:
- your spouse has died
- you can prove domestic violence
- there are children and you have a court order giving you some access.

If you're in IT you may qualify for skilled migration but you would have to apply
offshore for this and wouldn't qualify for a bridging visa. If you think you might be
able to get a 457 visa you can apply for this in Australia, but it's important to
make this application before you get notified of your PR visa refusal if you want to
apply in Australia and get a bridging visa to stay in Australia while it's decided.

Jeremy

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]>> Hi everyone, I have some bad situation that I need urgent help.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> I came to Australia in November 1999 as in prospective marriage visa and I got[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> married in april 2000. Now I am holding a temporary visa till May then I will get[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> my permanent visa. But the things are not really working out between my wife and[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> me so I am looking for a divorce. My question is, if we get divorced can I still[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> get my permanent resindence, or do I have to leave the country? I am also working[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> on permanent basis in a very respectible internet company as a programmer for more[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> than a year. I seek an urgent advice and even could hire a lawyer if needed. I am[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> looking forward to hear from you soon...[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> thank you[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> dropx[/usenetquote2]