Need advice on landing date

Old Apr 13th 2004, 4:52 am
Just Joined

agihk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need advice on landing date

Dear all,

I need your advice on the landing date of my PR visa.

I got my PR visa in April 2002, validated it in early 2003. Visa expires in April 2007. What's the latest landing date if I want to get the citizenship successfully b4 the expiration of the visa (i.e. don't want to apply for RRV)? Is it April 2005 or do I need to give some buffer (say 6 months) for processing of the citizenship appl and so it should be Oct 2004 latest?

Another question is, if my citizenship appl is still in process after April 2007, what's my status in Australia then?

Thank you for your replies in advance.

Ellis
Old Apr 13th 2004, 12:49 pm

Richard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need advice on landing date

If you land the day before your visa expires and remain in Australia for the next two years you can then apply for cititzenship - or not - there are many permanent residents who simply never convert from perm res to citizenship.

Some of my family have done so for over 40 years as they think it is unpatriotic to change from Scots or Irish to Australian.
Old Apr 13th 2004, 9:13 pm
Jaj

>Richard Gregan wrote:
    > If you land the day before your visa expires and remain in Australia for
    > the next two years you can then apply for cititzenship - or not - there
    > are many permanent residents who simply never convert from perm res to
    > citizenship.

There are also many sad tales of long-time permanent residents losing
their status as PRs (usually by spending a few years too long living
outside Australia), or finding their options in life limited, because
they have never taken Australian citizenship.

>
    > Some of my family have done so for over 40 years as they
    > think it is unpatriotic to change from Scots or Irish to Australian.

When dual nationality is allowed, I'm not sure that 'change' is the
correct word to use.

Both the British and Irish governments are quite keen for their citizens
living in Australia to take Australian citizenship when eligible.

Jeremy

--
This is not intended to be legal advice in any jurisdiction

Old Apr 14th 2004, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

abhibhanu will become famous soon enough

Dear Steven, George, Alan and jaj
Could you please clarify more on this issue as we also have same situation. We got our PR visas in Nov 2003 and it expires in Novv 2008. Validated in jan 2004 and now back in Japan to complete the contarct of my hubby. So your advice in this regard (application for citizenship and the status of PRs after Nov 2008) is highly appreciated.
with love
bhanu
Old Apr 14th 2004, 3:53 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by abhibhanu
Dear Steven, George, Alan and jaj
Could you please clarify more on this issue as we also have same situation. We got our PR visas in Nov 2003 and it expires in Novv 2008. Validated in jan 2004 and now back in Japan to complete the contarct of my hubby. So your advice in this regard (application for citizenship and the status of PRs after Nov 2008) is highly appreciated.
with love
bhanu
If you have not entered Australia before Nov 2008 you will lose PR. If you enter before Nov 2008 you can stay in Australia indefinately. If you wish to travel you must get an RRV or citizenship and an Australian passport. You must have 2 years residence in Australia as a PR in the previous 5 years to get an RRV. You must have 2 years residence in Australia as a PR in the previous 5 years with 1 of the years being in the previous 2 to get citizenship.

DIMIA do not give much sympathy to those not maintaining enough residence in Australia.
Old Apr 14th 2004, 4:17 am
Forum Regular

abhibhanu will become famous soon enough

Thanks Bondi!!!!
It really helped us to make our plans accordingly. Anyway we plan to move in for good by 2005 april and I hope this will help us to get citizenship before our PR visas expires.
with love
bhanu