Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

My girlfriend with a criminal record please read etc

My girlfriend with a criminal record please read etc

Old May 14th 2008, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default My girlfriend with a criminal record please read etc

I am applying for a pr visa which hopefully anyday i should know if i get it or not,since this has went in say two months ago i have met a girl here in the uk,we seem to be getting on very well and who knows if things still carry on going well,i will want her to come to oz with me.
Ok if she had been with me sometime ago then i could have included her in the application but never mind there are other ways,i been told there is a defacto visa and there is a marriage visa which if we need to can cross that when it comes.
She has had a bit if bad luck with people she had got involved with and lets say she got worried telling me about it,lets not go into detail,but she had a drink too many one night some years ago and this person tipped police about it,she got done for it and lost her licence etc,then one time she seen the guy when out that did this to her and he was having a joke and taking the piss about it,she got annoyed and lets say did something i think was very minor to him,in fact so minor i cant beleive police would have got involved,i dont want to get into details and who know who reads these sites these days.
Anway lets say the guy that grassed her for drink driving and that also got minor assulted by her and i mean very minor,he knew people in high places and had her taken to court,she was in bits when this happened and now has this on her record a drink driving and this minor assult.
Its messed with her head and the way she goes about things in life these days and worries about if the guy if seen her again would do something else or if she gets into trouble again.
She just got mixed up with a wrong guy and a nasty one at that,and i say to her forget about whats happened in past and move on,but its just hard to forget what has happend.
Since she has found me,we are getting on very well,but says she is unsure with people these days on trust,she trusts me and im sure someothers,but im sure it will get better for her.

Ok to the point she has met me and ok if we still are together when the time comes maybe would like to come to oz with me,ok as said i can get her in if she is willing to marry me or live together etc and maybe there are other ways,but what worries her is,as she has this things in her record does this mean australia will not want her and she will fail,i will be the main applicant and will probably have my visa i just would want to take her with me.

She is now worried that australia might not want her is this right?she is also worried that even say going on holiday or say even if she was no longer with me and wanted to apply for a visa herself she not stand a chance would this be right?
Does she declare this,but then saying that if she is getting police checks then it would be on that,this only happened a few years ago and thinks it may even affect going to oz for holidays would it?

She also asked me to ask this forum say she wanted to say go to usa,canada and stuff for holidays would this affect her also,i said dont be stupid and i want her to calm down,chill out and not worry about things to much,but what this guy had put her throught was nuts,there was other things that happened also.

I know that usa is clamping down on security and stuff when going to usa,would she have anything to worry about going there.

Can someone read through this long post and reply best they can on what i ask i just want to find out for her and try and make her not worry so much,hopefully me saying all would be ok on the above i am right,but maybe someone know better.
Old May 14th 2008, 11:15 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My girlfriend with a criminal record please read etc

Hi Brian,

Basically, Australia only refuses people entry who have serious criminal records - for example drug dealing, murder etc and people who have served 12 months or more in prison.

For a holiday visa, she would need to declare the convictions on the ETA application (online process) and it may take a few days or weeks longer to process than normal.

For a defacto or marriage visa to come with you, she would again have to declare it on the application and both offences would probably show up on her police clearance certificate. I have seen a number of people on here with the same worries your girlfriend has, and most of them included a short statement with their application explaining the circumstances of their minor offences and stating that they made stupid mistakes and had learnt from their errors and were in all other areas a law abiding citizen.

Convictions of the nature that you are talking about would be very, very, very unlikely be grounds for a visa refusal.

Best of luck with your visa and relationship - tell her not to worry and get on with her new life without that vindictive man.