mural artist looking for perm residency

Old Jan 19th 2010, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

dbcustoms is an unknown quantity at this point
Default mural artist looking for perm residency

Hey folks!!
Ive been in the country for 7 months now, in the Sunshine Coast. I have 5 months left on my WHV, I am looking to extend it but there doesnt seem to be any specified work where i am.
My goal is to get permanent residency here. I know a sponsor is the best option for me but finding one is near impossible. I have had good exposure for my mural work, having 3 newspaper articles and done plenty of charity and volunteer work for the community.
I have more than enough work here but my skills aren't on the most wanted list. I have a huge job for the council coming up in July, but my visa expires in june AAARRGGGHHH!!! frustrating when i see pissheads wandering the streets taking this amazing country (especially the coast) for granted!!!

I know this is an absolute long shot but one thing i have learned from living here is that just talking to people and putting yourself out there is the best way to get anything done.
Does anyone know someone to talk to about every option available?. I have looked into studying but its just too expensive.

Cheers, Danny.
Attached Thumbnails mural artist looking for perm residency-danny-card-front.jpg  
Old Jan 19th 2010, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: mural artist looking for perm residency

I love the pictures you attached, you are very talented.

Soooo I have had a look around but I am drawing a blank for you. I don't see anything on the skilled occupation list that seems to fit you for independent migration, there is something called Illustrator which I thought was a long shot and when I read about it decided that indeed it probably does not fit what you do (it is more animation, cartoons).

Then there was something about Visual Art & Craft but that would require an employer sponsor so if you can't find one of those then it is a non-starter. As student is also a non-starter (and I don't blame you for that I think it is madness myself) then it really only leaves finding an employer willing to sponsor you in another field and you staying in this field until you can apply for PR (a long shot) or finding a nice Australian girl. Unfortunately, not everybody does qualify for an Australian visa.

To buy yourself time, you could temporarily move somewhere and do the 3 months fruit-picking or whatever.

If you don't get any more positive replies, then perhaps a discussion with a good migration agent would be advisable as they may come up with something we overlooked.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 2:17 pm
Banned

Ozwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dbcustoms
Hey folks!!
Ive been in the country for 7 months now, in the Sunshine Coast. I have 5 months left on my WHV, I am looking to extend it but there doesnt seem to be any specified work where i am.
My goal is to get permanent residency here. I know a sponsor is the best option for me but finding one is near impossible. I have had good exposure for my mural work, having 3 newspaper articles and done plenty of charity and volunteer work for the community.
I have more than enough work here but my skills aren't on the most wanted list. I have a huge job for the council coming up in July, but my visa expires in june AAARRGGGHHH!!! frustrating when i see pissheads wandering the streets taking this amazing country (especially the coast) for granted!!!

I know this is an absolute long shot but one thing i have learned from living here is that just talking to people and putting yourself out there is the best way to get anything done.
Does anyone know someone to talk to about every option available?. I have looked into studying but its just too expensive.

Cheers, Danny.
You might get some work a bit further up the coast Danny, say Childers or Bundaberg but what yoi can do as an alternative in any regional area to qualify for the second WHV is www.wwoof.com.au or www.helpexchange.net .

Besides getting you the extra twelve months and getting to meet a few locals that could give you some leads into more art work, the wwoofing and helping is nominally based around working half days or say 25 hrs /week [negotiable with hosts] and so you may be able to work it so you still have 2-3 days a week for art work.

With the extra time in Oz., at least you have longer to perhaps find an employer sponsor for a 457 visa if you can match your skills/experience to something - http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/
and there are also Occupational Trainee Visas.
http://www.immi.gov.au/students/sponsored/otv/
Perhaps with doing work with the council and hopefully others with a second WHV, you might see if you can get referrals on to somewhere like Brisbane CC where they'll have a larger Grafitti problem and larger budgets as one way tried in dealing with Grafitti has been the introduction of Mural Walls.
Getting in to see Community Youth Workers might get you a leg in the door re being on a training program to lead/train Grafittists to Muralling!
Just a thought.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 9:46 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbcustoms
Hey folks!!

Cheers, Danny.
A good idea would be to sit down with a good migration agent who can take a look at your skills and educational background to see if there is something that can fit for you. It may be that skilled visas are out of the question, however there are other visa options out there. Sponsorship may not be a possibility if your occupation isn't on the SOL. Like I said, though, speak to a GOOD migration agent who can explore your options with you.