Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

In a muddle! advice on the 457 please........

In a muddle! advice on the 457 please........

Old May 7th 2008, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice
Question In a muddle! advice on the 457 please........

Hi,

Hopefully some of you have been in same postion. We have been applying for jobs hoping to get a 457 sponsor. We have had some good feedback, however because we're not ready this end, it's a no go.

My husband had a company who was interested in sponsoring him, however because we're not in a postion to move within the next month or so, they're not interested.

What do we do? Do we sell house, business in the hope we get a sponsor? If we do, how long does the process take from applying to getting visa?

What happens if we sell up everything (we have 2 kids, so not easy) then can't get a sponsor????

I seem to be going round in circles, thought we were getting somewhere on thej ob front, but unless we're available now, it's no good.

What has everyone else done?????

Any help much appreciated
Old May 7th 2008, 9:07 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In a muddle! advice on the 457 please........

Sorry but you'd have to find a sponsor who will either give you breathing space or who will help with moving. Not in a month of Sundays would I sell up and move with children without, at least, the temporary 457 in my hand. If you can, it's far safer in the long term to find someone who'll sponsor you for PR or apply for a different type of visa.
Old May 7th 2008, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Sorry but you'd have to find a sponsor who will either give you breathing space or who will help with moving. Not in a month of Sundays would I sell up and move with children without, at least, the temporary 457 in my hand. If you can, it's far safer in the long term to find someone who'll sponsor you for PR or apply for a different type of visa.
Well this is exactly my point. I'm not prepared to sell house and business unless we have a job offer and visa is being sorted. How do I go about this though? Because most jobs we are applying for are for now. As our last contact said 'how can i offer sponsorship for a job that might be around in 12 months time?'

Unless employers know they will have a vacancy in say 6 months, how do we go about it?

UUUGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

What a nightmare.
Old May 7th 2008, 10:28 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stumpysean
Well this is exactly my point. I'm not prepared to sell house and business unless we have a job offer and visa is being sorted. How do I go about this though? Because most jobs we are applying for are for now. As our last contact said 'how can i offer sponsorship for a job that might be around in 12 months time?'

Unless employers know they will have a vacancy in say 6 months, how do we go about it?

UUUGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

What a nightmare.
Some people have managed to find sponsors on a 457 who are prepared to wait but they tend to be nurses and the hospitals are happy to hang on. That's why it's such a, IMO, dodgy way to get in. Even once you're here on a 457 it can easily go pearshaped. Can you not get in on any of the other visas?
Old May 7th 2008, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Some people have managed to find sponsors on a 457 who are prepared to wait but they tend to be nurses and the hospitals are happy to hang on. That's why it's such a, IMO, dodgy way to get in. Even once you're here on a 457 it can easily go pearshaped. Can you not get in on any of the other visas?
I wish we could!

It would make life so much easier. We can't get in a skilled visa, so our only hope is a 457 or RSMS. But this looks less likely. Our last resort is a student visa but it's so expensive I'm not sure we'd manage.

Why do you say the 457 is 'dodgy'? It's some peoples only way. Surely it's better to get a sponsor on a 457 than not come atall????

Any opinions greatly recieved!
Old May 7th 2008, 12:56 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

I wish we could!

It would make life so much easier. We can't get in a skilled visa, so our only hope is a 457 or RSMS. But this looks less likely. Our last resort is a student visa but it's so expensive I'm not sure we'd manage.

Why do you say the 457 is 'dodgy'? It's some peoples only way. Surely it's better to get a sponsor on a 457 than not come atall????

Any opinions greatly recieved!
Sorry, dodgy is probably the wrong word. It's just that whilst lots of people have no problem working on a 457, or even getting PR on the back of it, it does leave you open to having to move back because the company decides it doesn't want you, or you find you are not doing the job you expected and can't find another sponsor in the time given before being sent on your way. People have found that they are never able to get PR and so four years after moving their entire lives over and loving every second of it, they have to leave through no fault of their own.

It's not the best visa, but if it's your only way in, you have to take it, you just have to be incredibly careful (and lucky) with who you get to sponsor you. Saying that, there are no definites in life - only death and we all take a major chance when we do something as drastic as migrating anywhere, especially when children are also involved.
Old May 7th 2008, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry, dodgy is probably the wrong word. It's just that whilst lots of people have no problem working on a 457, or even getting PR on the back of it, it does leave you open to having to move back because the company decides it doesn't want you, or you find you are not doing the job you expected and can't find another sponsor in the time given before being sent on your way. People have found that they are never able to get PR and so four years after moving their entire lives over and loving every second of it, they have to leave through no fault of their own.

It's not the best visa, but if it's your only way in, you have to take it, you just have to be incredibly careful (and lucky) with who you get to sponsor you. Saying that, there are no definites in life - only death and we all take a major chance when we do something as drastic as migrating anywhere, especially when children are also involved.

very true, yes that's how we are looking at it. We can't gain PR from the outset, i wish we could, so this is our only opiton all be it a risky one. Like you said, notihng is certain in life, we want to beable to experience the Oz lifestyle before its too late. We're willing to risk it.

The hardest part is trying to find a sponsor!!!!
Old May 7th 2008, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

ckgreenall will become famous soon enough

very true, yes that's how we are looking at it. We can't gain PR from the outset, i wish we could, so this is our only opiton all be it a risky one. Like you said, notihng is certain in life, we want to beable to experience the Oz lifestyle before its too late. We're willing to risk it.

The hardest part is trying to find a sponsor!!!!
If it makes you feel better we are hopefully going in on a 457 visa. I am reasonably confident that with a lot of effort we could get in on a PR skilled migration, but I have to convince the Australian Computer Society to recognise my 18 years IT experience as prior learning. We have decided to persue the 457 route as a quicker way in to the country, but will be also applying for PR via the normal route whilst we are on the 457.

I have managed to secure a job (pending initial 457 checks) with 457 sponsorship and the company are prepared to wait the 6-8 weeks that it will take for me to get there. So there are companies that will wait...
Old May 7th 2008, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

ckgreenall will become famous soon enough

forgot to add that we are going in on the 457 fully aware that we may not get PR for some reason, but we have to at least try...
Old May 7th 2008, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ckgreenall
If it makes you feel better we are hopefully going in on a 457 visa. I am reasonably confident that with a lot of effort we could get in on a PR skilled migration, but I have to convince the Australian Computer Society to recognise my 18 years IT experience as prior learning. We have decided to persue the 457 route as a quicker way in to the country, but will be also applying for PR via the normal route whilst we are on the 457.

I have managed to secure a job (pending initial 457 checks) with 457 sponsorship and the company are prepared to wait the 6-8 weeks that it will take for me to get there. So there are companies that will wait...
I hope so, it's just finding them!

So we really need to get ball rolling i.e sell house, business etc so we are then in a position to accept a job offer?

My mind's racing with what way round to do things. With a family too, it's very difficult to make the right decisions.
Old May 7th 2008, 11:15 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

What happens if we sell up everything (we have 2 kids, so not easy) then can't get a sponsor????

Your life will be in a mess, to put it mildly, and Australian Immigration will not be sympathetic.
Old May 8th 2008, 12:02 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

I hope so, it's just finding them!

So we really need to get ball rolling i.e sell house, business etc so we are then in a position to accept a job offer?

My mind's racing with what way round to do things. With a family too, it's very difficult to make the right decisions.
I thought Jamie Smith was on the case for you?

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old May 8th 2008, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by George Lombard
I thought Jamie Smith was on the case for you?

Cheers,

George Lombard
No, we haven't requested his assistance yet. Thinking about the student visa route.

Like everyone seems to be saying, it's a risky way in with no guarantees that you will be able to gain PR. I'm just worried that we'll sell house, business etc then not beable to get a sponsor. At least with a student visa, you can work to a date and the chance of PR at the end is more achieveable?

Please put me in my place if i'm barking up the wrong tree, we really don't know what to do for the best.

Thanks
Old May 9th 2008, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

coolozzie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

I would be grateful if anyone can assist please, as we are currently in the middle of the 457 route.

Is is possible for us to go over on a 457 and whilst there get my other half to study a course which can then be used to apply for PR?
Reason being I will be just over 45 after the two year stint and it might be very difficult in trying to secure a PR visa and my wife will still be under 45.

As they say, any which way....

Thanks.
Old May 9th 2008, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Tellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really nice

Originally Posted by coolozzie
Hi all

I would be grateful if anyone can assist please, as we are currently in the middle of the 457 route.

Is is possible for us to go over on a 457 and whilst there get my other half to study a course which can then be used to apply for PR?
Reason being I will be just over 45 after the two year stint and it might be very difficult in trying to secure a PR visa and my wife will still be under 45.

As they say, any which way....

Thanks.
We are in the same position as everyone else on the thread.

Due to the housing market in the UK and the length of time it may take to sell our house we have decided to get it up for sale and if it sells we will rent in the UK until we can emigrate.

We also have 2 young children but are trying to make it into an adventure for them - after all they are the main reason that we are trying to emigrate.

Once we are renting we will be able to then emigrate at the drop of a hat rather than being tied to the house etc.

When we do finally get there my husband is going to try to obtain his Australian qualification in welding so that we can apply for PR.

In the meantime we are also hoping that the Pathway D is reinstated and then we dont have to go on the 457 we can apply for the PR staright away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.