Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Moving to Perth from the UK - working in I.T with CCNA, CCDA and CCNP but......

Moving to Perth from the UK - working in I.T with CCNA, CCDA and CCNP but......

Old Mar 11th 2002, 1:36 pm
Charles

Default Moving to Perth from the UK - working in I.T with CCNA, CCDA and CCNP but......

Hi everyone,

I have been told on numerous occassions now that I need 4 years + experience within
I.T before I can apply to work in Australia as I did not do an I.T degree. I have
already worked in Australia on a working holiday visa in 1999 and 2000.

I have currently got around 16 months experience with WorldCom, am 25 years old
and single.

Does anyone know of any alternatives, or I.T companies in Perth that would be after
internetworking skills etc?

I am currently working towards my CCNP.

Any advice greatfully received.

Thanks, Charles

Old Mar 11th 2002, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

glenn_somers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Perth from the UK - working in I.T with CCNA, CCDA and CCNP but......

Hi Charles,

I would strongly recommend getting your MCSE if you have aspirations of living in Oz, the body who assess wether your skills/qualifications are suitable (ie the ACS) do not recognise Cisco certfications. As Cisco represent 3/4 of the networking market I can imagine that there a political reasons for this that we are not privy to. However on the plus side the do accredit the MCSE qualification as been comparable to an Australian AQF Diploma which with 4 years experiance gets you through the door.

Hope this helps,

Glenn
Old Mar 11th 2002, 3:06 pm
Chris

Default Re: Moving to Perth from the UK - working in I.T with CCNA, CCDA and CCNP but......

"Charles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I have been told on numerous occassions now that I need 4 years + experience within
    > I.T before I can apply to work in Australia as I did not do an I.T degree. I have
    > already worked in Australia on a working holiday visa in 1999 and 2000.
    >
    > I have currently got around 16 months experience with WorldCom, am 25 years old
    > and single.
    >
    > Does anyone know of any alternatives, or I.T companies in Perth that would be after
    > internetworking skills etc?
    >
    > I am currently working towards my CCNP.

I've heard Cisco certs are in greater demand in the US, but you can always check out
websites such as http://www.seek.com.au, or http://www.careerone.com.au and find out
if there are any Cisco related jobs on offer. Good luck!

Chris

>
    > Any advice greatfully received.
    >
    > Thanks, Charles

Old Mar 14th 2002, 9:36 pm
Paul

Your skills are more in demand in Europe and US than OZ. Plus the salaries are much
better than OZ too. Primarily this type of work is going to be concentrated in
central business districts, so you'd be looking to live close to the city too.

Plus, Perth will have the lowest demand for your skills too.

"Charles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I have been told on numerous occassions now that I need 4 years + experience within
    > I.T before I can apply to work in Australia as I did not do an I.T degree. I have
    > already worked in Australia on a working holiday visa in 1999 and 2000.
    >
    > I have currently got around 16 months experience with WorldCom, am 25 years old
    > and single.
    >
    > Does anyone know of any alternatives, or I.T companies in Perth that would be after
    > internetworking skills etc?
    >
    > I am currently working towards my CCNP.
    >
    > Any advice greatfully received.
    >
    > Thanks, Charles

Old Mar 15th 2002, 5:31 am
Just Joined

simorgan is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are lucky enough to obtain a residential visa for Australia, think very carefully about moving. My wife was the main applicant and we were granted visa's on her nursing skills.
I was a team leader in a technology department in England and when we first moved to Brisbane I found no work for myself at all.
After a number of months we decided to move to Sydney purely for work for myself. IT is completely flat here and six months on I'm still unemployed, and my wife is on half the salary she was in England. This has ruined our life and we now have to go back to England to try and restructure ourselves.
We loved Australia but moving here has taken everything we had.
Most recruitment companies have told me it was 'just bad timing' that we moved over here.......cold comfort when you give up a secure job and background.
Please think very carefully before you committ.