Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Moving out of "Regional" Areas during vacation

Moving out of "Regional" Areas during vacation

Old Aug 14th 2004, 2:42 am
Just Joined

ginmi is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Moving out of "Regional" Areas during vacation

Hiya all,

I'm currently studying my masters in Australia on an overseas students visa and plan to apply for PR upon graduation next year.

I am currently living and studying in an area which is classified by DIMIA as regional and therfore eligible for the 5 bonus points for that.
Those 5 points are CRUCIAL for me in order to meet the current skilled-independent passmark.

And now, to my dilema:
I got a good job offer (not in my field of studies but still a very good opportunity with good pay) to do a 4 months contract in Brisbane during my summber break from early november till early march, in which I can work
unlimited hours.

The thing is that Brisbane is NOT considered as "regional australia" by DIMIA and i'm afraid that if i'll go and live and work there for these 4 months, I might
LOSE those very very precious 5 points and go bust with my PR application.

Can anyone suggest a solution to this dilema?
Is there any other international student in this forum who was facing a similar situation? what did you do?
Do you think there is ANY WAY for me to live and work in Brisbane for 4 months and NOT LOSE my points for living and studying for 2 years in "regional australia"?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers