Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Moving to Australia from the UK, financial planning

Moving to Australia from the UK, financial planning

Old Apr 28th 2002, 11:30 am
Tracey Kalaitzi

Default Moving to Australia from the UK, financial planning

Hi,

My family and I are moving to Australia this year.. can someone point me at a good
resource regarding UK pensions, transferring monies etc...

TIA

John K

Old Apr 28th 2002, 12:00 pm
Alan Collett

Default Re: Moving to Australia from the UK, financial planning

John,

If I may, please try these for starters:
http://www.collettandco.co.uk/aussie_individuals.html
http://www.hifx.co.uk/register/defau...orID=GoMatilda

Mail me directly if you'd like some more information.

Best regards.

Alan Collett alan-at-collettandco-dot-com Registered Migration Agent Number 0102534,
Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales, and Member of
the Migration Institute of Australia Collett & Co Chartered Accountants W
www.collettandco.com Enterprise House, Ocean Village, Southampton, Hampshire,
England, SO14 3XB, T +44 (0)2380 488786 Also at 5/11 Queens Road, Melbourne, VIC
3004, Australia, T +61 (0)3 8530 7030, through www.gomatilda.com

Tracey Kalaitzis wrote in message ... Hi,

My family and I are moving to Australia this year.. can someone point me at a good
resource regarding UK pensions, transferring monies etc...

TIA

John K

Old Apr 30th 2002, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

timsorrell is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
We were particularly pleased with our financial adviser - who handled everything for us here in Australia. Since he himself emigrated from the UK a few years earlier and was a financial adviser there too, he is particuarly useful in recommending what needs to be done, handling transfer of pensions etc. If you want his details, please do email me
Tim http://emigrate.hotshopping.com.au
Old Apr 30th 2002, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

pott is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I keep seeing this financial planning stuff popping up and was just wondering if everyone needs this advice. Hubbie is an electrician with the local council and has a pension with them - about 7 yrs and we have no idea on these matters. Or is it just people with loads of accounts and stuff who need expert advice? Do we need to be looking into these things? Sorry if I sound so dumb.

Cheers.
Old May 1st 2002, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

timsorrell is an unknown quantity at this point

Well you'd do best to use a financial advisor to get your pensions moved over here and into a suitable fund - trying to persuade uk pension companies to transfer overseas can be quite awkward. If your pension company is charging excessive exit penalties, a financial advisor can discover this and get the ball rolling on dealing with complaints etc. Also, a good financial advisor would look at particular situations and work out whether or not something is better off left where it is.
Some financial advisors do charge for their time and perhaps that is useful for people with considerable wealth. All the advisors I know give the advice for free and make their money on the small commission - or "entry charge" that is made. I understand that when you go direct to some pension / insurance companies, you still effectively get charged the same because they have to cover their costs by running a call centre. They also will work out what your fund is worth and how much extra contributions you should make to improve your retirement - also working out how you can save tax. They handle and advise on life cover, medical insurance, savings etc and maybe help with or recommend other things like car insurance, borrowing to buy investment property etc etc. It's something you may not need to deal with until you get to Australia as long as you find someone here who is familiar with dealing with the UK end too. You really don't want to be paying (whether directly or via commission) for an advisor both ends! For most of us I think that it's all pretty daunting, especially if you become self employed, as it is totally up to you to protect your family and provide for your future.... yet you don't want to devote all your energies to working all of it out and that's why it's good to put it in the hand of a trustworthy advisor who has your interests at heart and not his own !
Cheers
tim http://emigrate.hotshopping.com.au