Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Moving to Australia in 5 years time? - advice wanted

Moving to Australia in 5 years time? - advice wanted

Old Jan 9th 2014, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

Pete73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Australia in 5 years time? - advice wanted

Hi,

Can somebody help me with advice about emigrating in 2019. I am a registered nurse (adult) currently working in the aeromedical field, I am tied to a contract until Jan 2019.

After this I receive a £30k and a monthly pension of just under 1k a month. We are looking at settling in the Noosa area, Qld. At this point I will be 45 (46 in the July). My wife will be 44 and our kids 17 and 13.

The sort of assistance is when do we start applying for Visa's, what's the best option on Visa's.

Although I would like to leave nursing full time, I will still look at keeping UK/Austrialian registration.

Any advice on general emigration would also be greatly received.

Pete
Old Jan 9th 2014, 10:07 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Australia in 5 years time? - advice wanted

Originally Posted by Pete73
Hi,

Can somebody help me with advice about emigrating in 2019. I am a registered nurse (adult) currently working in the aeromedical field, I am tied to a contract until Jan 2019.

After this I receive a £30k and a monthly pension of just under 1k a month. We are looking at settling in the Noosa area, Qld. At this point I will be 45 (46 in the July). My wife will be 44 and our kids 17 and 13.

The sort of assistance is when do we start applying for Visa's, what's the best option on Visa's.

Although I would like to leave nursing full time, I will still look at keeping UK/Austrialian registration.

Pete
If you are thinking about leaving nursing then you will need an independent visa so need to get on with it because of your age.

What will you do for income? The amount you have mentioned will go nowhere and Noosa is very expensive. Work is very hard to find in that area even if you wanted to continue as a nurse.

I am assuming you must own your own house as 1000 pounds would not even cover the monthly rent.......and property in Noosa is very expensive.

It really is not the best area unless you have a guaranteed job.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I would be applying now as you will have to do a trip to Oz to validate it within 12 months. But have 5 years to make the move.

However, I agree with Graying. I would rethink your plan. £30k will probably just cover the move and things. £1000 a month is nothing here. That's not not even a months rent.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 1:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pete73
Hi,

Pete
It would be nigh on impossible to get a visa if you wait until you are 45, so you would need to do it before then as others have said. You would need to make a trip to Australia as a family within about a year of getting the visa, but then you have five years to make a move.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 7:08 am
Just Joined

Pete73 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice! We may need to adjust the plan.

I am hoping to spend the next few years outside the UK, should hopefully find out Jan next year. This means we will be closer to Oz and travel will be easier. I will also be earning more, so more to save. We are hoping to stay outside the UK until late 2018/2019 and move to Oz from there. The company may also pay some of our shipping costs!

Will start the process, once we know what's happening. Taking into account the advice above.

Thanks again, and if anyone can add more please do so.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you going to be working Pete. Ni work international and come across you guys a fair bit.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

Veronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of people have said that you have 5 years after your visa has been granted to make your actually move. Strictly speaking that's true, but not if you want to be able to travel in and out of the country once you have made your move.

But there is a catch:

Say your permanent visa is granted on 1 Jan 2015. This will have an expiry date of 1 Jan 2020. But you are a permanent visa holder, so why is there an expiry date on your visa?

This is why:

As a permanent visa holder you will of course be able to enter Australia and remain permanently. So if you move to Australia, before 1 Jan 2020 (still going with my example) and never leave again, you will remain permanent residents. Ie: you can stay forever.

However, in order to be able to travel in and out of Australia you will always need to have a valid resident return visa. In order to be eligible for a resident return visa, every 5 years you will need to be able to show that you have spent 2 out of 5 years in Australia every 5 years. So on 1 Jan 2020 in order to get another 5 year resident return visa you would have to have spent 2 years in Australia in the 1 Jan 2015 to 1 Jan 2020 period.

If you have not spent 2 out of 5 years in Australia at the end of each 5 year period (counting from the date of your visa grant), you will have to remain in Australia until you have made up the 2 years. If you are outside of Australia when the 5 year period is up, and you do not have 2 years of residence in Australia by that time, you may lose your visas.

This 2 out of 5 year requirement will apply until you have become Australian Citizens.

So really, to be safe, you should make your permanent move to Australia within 2 to 3 years of being granted your permanent visas.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

For completeness, there is also a discretionary one year RRV - see http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/155-157.aspx