Moving to Aus, Schools and taxes

Old May 17th 2002, 9:20 am
Chris

Default Moving to Aus, Schools and taxes

Anyone who has any advice on the below would be appreciated ...

Moving -

Is it best to take all your stuff, take nothing or take only half or so ? Does anyone
have a rough idea on the cost of shipping a 3 bedroom house load to Aus or what it
will cost to take only half the stuff ? Also - is it worth buying furniture on a sale
here and shipping it over ?

Schools -

Are you tied to taking your child to the nearest state school - what if you plan on
living in one area for 6 months then buying land close buy but has different schools
that are closer ?

Taxes -

Any advise on what not to do when wrapping up UK tax and stating anew in Aus ? Anyone
have any detail about shutting up a limited company in the UK
i.e. are there time considerations for tax etc What if you are still getting money in
from sales made before you move only after you move to Aus - who gets the
pleasure of taxing you - the country the sale was made in or the country you are
resident when you get the money ?

Any web pages or info appreciated ....

Cheers, Chris

Old May 17th 2002, 9:20 am
Mike Webb

Default Re: Moving to Aus, Schools and taxes

Have a look at a post further down entitled something like "Tim Sorrell's web page".

Tim has put together a wonderful page of hints and tips for emigration. The site
isn't working at the moment, so someone posted it to that thread. Correction, its
working again. Try http://emigrate.hotshopping.com.au/

Mike.

"Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Anyone who has any advice on the below would be appreciated ...
    >
    > Moving -
    >
    > Is it best to take all your stuff, take nothing or take only half or so ? Does
    > anyone have a rough idea on the cost of shipping a 3 bedroom house load to Aus or
    > what it will cost to take only half the stuff ? Also - is it worth buying furniture
    > on a sale here and shipping it over ?
    >
    > Schools -
    >
    > Are you tied to taking your child to the nearest state school - what if you plan on
    > living in one area for 6 months then buying land close buy but has different
    > schools that are closer ?
    >
    > Taxes -
    >
    > Any advise on what not to do when wrapping up UK tax and stating anew in Aus ?
    > Anyone have any detail about shutting up a limited company in the UK
    > i.e. are there time considerations for tax etc What if you are still getting money
    > in from sales made before you move only after you move to Aus - who gets the
    > pleasure of taxing you - the country the sale was made in or the country you
    > are resident when you get the money ?
    >
    > Any web pages or info appreciated ....
    >
    > Cheers, Chris

Old May 17th 2002, 9:21 am
Mike Webb

P.S. It is probably worth saving it to your machine just incase.

Old May 17th 2002, 11:20 am
Rob

Chris wrote:

>Anyone who has any advice on the below would be appreciated ...
    >
    >Moving -
    >
    >Is it best to take all your stuff, take nothing or take only half or so ?

I keep reading that it's better to take your belonging with you and that seems to
make a lot of financial sense. However...

Looking around my house there's very little I fancy taking with
me. When I move, I think I'll be traveling light. I plan to sell or give away all
my stuff, pack a couple of bags and go. My dog will be in quaratine for a month
(or more ?) giving me time to find a place to live while I look for a more
permanent home.

I lived for two year in the US and took two suitcases with me and came back with two
suitcases plus a computer.

I'm looking forward to the endless shopping that traveling light will cause.

Old May 17th 2002, 3:15 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Chris,

Re taxes - take a look initially at:
http://www.collettandco.com/aussie_home.html

Feel able to request some factsheets, and to mail me directly if needs be afterwards.

Best regards.
Old May 17th 2002, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

fergey is an unknown quantity at this point

We just got a quote for half of our stuff and it came to approx £2800 plus insurance so around 3K. Feel free to mail me for details of the company
Old May 18th 2002, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Pommy Sheila is an unknown quantity at this point

We had out stuff shipped out March 2001. £4K for a 20' container, contents of 3 bed house, minus white goods.
Old May 18th 2002, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

Hi,

We moved out to Sydney last month on a PR form the UK. We got rid of most of our stuff and only shipped things we just couldn't get rid of, but this is entirely up to the individual and how you feel about your stuff, but furniture and white goods etc are quite reasonable here and you can get good discounts in most shops, (especially Bing Lee's in Chatswood!).

We have got our kids into a good school which is not far from the house we are renting and we will probably move out of the catchment area for this school. We asked the principal of the school about this, and at this school they won't make you move the kids as they realise it wouldn't do them any good. You will have to ask the school your kids go in about this but it may be the same wherever you go.

We had a limited company back in the UK and this is being shut down by our accountant as we speak. We left enough money in the account to cover tax etc. and the accountant is going to send us a cheque of whats left after it has shut down and everything is tied up. There is an inland revenue form you have to fill in to let them know that you are going overseas and this is available online www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk
Also when you get to Aus you have to get a tax file no. you have to fill out a form and take this to the nearest tax office www.ato.gov.au we did this last week and it is completely painless! No scarey questions!!

Well this is what we have done so far (well haven't filled out the inland revenue forms yet but we have 6 months to do it) if this isn't right and we get hammered by big tax bills, we'll let you know or if there is someone here that knows better, please let us know so we don't get hammered!

Cheers and good luck

Mandy
Old May 18th 2002, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi,

We moved out to Sydney last month on a PR form the UK. We got rid of most of our stuff and only shipped things we just couldn't get rid of, but this is entirely up to the individual and how you feel about your stuff, but furniture and white goods etc are quite reasonable here and you can get good discounts in most shops, (especially Bing Lee's in Chatswood!).

We have got our kids into a good school which is not far from the house we are renting and we will probably move out of the catchment area for this school. We asked the principal of the school about this, and at this school they won't make you move the kids as they realise it wouldn't do them any good. You will have to ask the school your kids go in about this but it may be the same wherever you go.

We had a limited company back in the UK and this is being shut down by our accountant as we speak. We left enough money in the account to cover tax etc. and the accountant is going to send us a cheque of whats left after it has shut down and everything is tied up. There is an inland revenue form you have to fill in to let them know that you are going overseas and this is available online www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk
Also when you get to Aus you have to get a tax file no. you have to fill out a form and take this to the nearest tax office www.ato.gov.au we did this last week and it is completely painless! No scarey questions!!

Well this is what we have done so far (well haven't filled out the inland revenue forms yet but we have 6 months to do it) if this isn't right and we get hammered by big tax bills, we'll let you know or if there is someone here that knows better, please let us know so we don't get hammered!

Cheers and good luck

Mandy
Old May 18th 2002, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Sorry guys didn't mean to post that reply twice!! Our isp here is rubbish and internet is sooooo slowww! I'm a little impatient, sorry again guys!

Mandy
Old May 22nd 2002, 10:59 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Mandy is correct - The form from the Inland Revenue is called a P85 - we have been here three weeks and my Husband has already received his tax refund for the current Tax Year April 2002/2003. I was well pleased, cause like a pratt I forgot my SA this year in all the rush and have just recived notification of my 100 pound fine!!! Will they accept that the SA forms being in a container in the middle of the sea as an excuse!

Mandy hope everything is going well, I work in Chatswood, currently live in Hornsby, hope to rent in St Ives - what are the school like you have. My daughter has not been accepted in school yet because we are here on a temporary visa and need to pay the money, which is delayed cause we are going through work to cover costs with tax implications it works better for us that way.

By the way for information temp visa 457 you pay $4500 per annum per child for school here in Aus. That is for state schools not private. Would be interested to know if any one if going through this process with a private school and you still need to pay the fee to the Government as well as the normal private school fees - cause we might consider private for my daughter. Son is in school and very happy. Well different school years here.
Old May 22nd 2002, 11:12 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sandra.

Don't forget that for 2001 Tax Returns due for filing by 31/01/2002 the late filing penalty is the lower of £100 and the tax outstanding at that date relating to tax year 2000/01.

So if all your tax for that year is paid => no late filing penalty.

Best regards.

Alan Collett
alan-at-gomatilda-dot-com
Registered Migration Agent Number 0102534
and a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales
http://www.gomatilda.com, and
http://www.collettandco.com
Old May 22nd 2002, 9:20 pm
Jaj

I think that's only applicable to NSW, I don't think the other states have
followed (yet).

Jeremy

>On 22 May 2002 13:20:17 GMT, Sandra <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >By the way for information temp visa 457 you pay $4500 per annum per child for
    >school here in Aus. That is for state schools not private. Would be interested to
    >know if any one if going through this process with a private school and you still
    >need to pay the fee to the Government as well as the normal private school fees -
    >cause we might consider private for my daughter. Son is in school and very happy.
    >Well different school years here.
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >Sandra
    >
    >nick
    >
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 22nd 2002, 11:06 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

JAJ - correct NSW only and of course that is where I am!

Thanks Alan - you have given me the incentive to get on and finish the damm SA form cause I do not think I owe much for that year.

thanks
Old May 22nd 2002, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

onlyme is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to Sydney Sandra.
How are you finding things ? Rent, roads, work, etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.