Moving to Aus as a non native NZ Citizen

Old Dec 2nd 2023, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

mrsmnz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Aus as a non native NZ Citizen

Hi all, I’m new here but got a lot out of the Nz forum when I moved to Auckland some years ago so hoping I can pick your brains please!

My family are hoping to move to Aus from NZ in the next 18 months.

We are all Brits with NZ Citizenship. If we are eligible, we’ll be moving our businesses plus household so not doing this for a short-term life experience.

I’m finding it hard to find info on how our non-native NZ status might affect things.

Can we still move over on a 444 visa or is this for native Nz-ers only?

Are there any implications for us with regards to medical care/ schools I should be looking into?

I have 8 and 10 year olds so we aren’t planning just a move for a few years but a relocation of our family, pets etc for the long haul with a goal to stay in Australia as citizens one day. Is it ‘safe’ to do this on a 444 if we are eligible?

does anyone have any similar experiences you could share?
Old Dec 9th 2023, 1:41 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Aus as a non native NZ Citizen

Originally Posted by mrsmnz
Hi all, I’m new here but got a lot out of the Nz forum when I moved to Auckland some years ago so hoping I can pick your brains please!

My family are hoping to move to Aus from NZ in the next 18 months.

We are all Brits with NZ Citizenship. If we are eligible, we’ll be moving our businesses plus household so not doing this for a short-term life experience.

I’m finding it hard to find info on how our non-native NZ status might affect things.

Can we still move over on a 444 visa or is this for native Nz-ers only?

Are there any implications for us with regards to medical care/ schools I should be looking into?

I have 8 and 10 year olds so we aren’t planning just a move for a few years but a relocation of our family, pets etc for the long haul with a goal to stay in Australia as citizens one day. Is it ‘safe’ to do this on a 444 if we are eligible?

does anyone have any similar experiences you could share?
I don't believe we have an current 444 holders posting, though someone may turn up. Might be worth a quick chat with a migration agent just to confirm the details. There is no distinction though between native NZ citizens and non-native when moving to Aus, just ensure you use your NZ passport not the UK one.
Old Dec 10th 2023, 8:14 am
Just Joined

mrsmnz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I don't believe we have an current 444 holders posting, though someone may turn up. Might be worth a quick chat with a migration agent just to confirm the details. There is no distinction though between native NZ citizens and non-native when moving to Aus, just ensure you use your NZ passport not the UK one.
thanks so much, this is what we thought too, but like you say, will get some advice 😊
Old Dec 12th 2023, 9:36 am
Just Joined

UKNZSY is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we relocated to Sydney from Palmerston North in 2021 we are British / NZ citizens. My husbands company relocated us and our whole household. My experience is that you have to arrive using your NZ Passport otherwise you will not been recognised as New Zealanders. Other than filling in an immigration form stating that I had arrived to live in Australia that’s all I had to do. Once I received my Medicare card I registered with a GP (haven’t paid to see them anytime!) can’t comment on schools. I’ve been in and out of Australia to the UK and back to NZ a couple of times always on my NZ passport. There are a couple of restrictions with the 444 visa, such as we can’t vote or get financial support ie job seekers payment.