Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

MODL documentation for ACS, after turning in the application

MODL documentation for ACS, after turning in the application

Old Mar 26th 2003, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Vasantha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default MODL documentation for ACS, after turning in the application

Hi,

I have turned in the application to ACS with request to be assessed for MODL. The employer's reference states the experience in Java, security, e-commerce breifly and the resume shows J2EE, Java Security etc. Now, I feel I should have provided more detail regarding the work experience related to security and e-commerce. Well, of course, the MODL has changed to have more focus after I applied.

I wonder if it do any good if I mail more supporting docs (detailed reference with information about relevant projects to security and e-commerce). I hope such an act will not cause delays in processing (because I need to be concerned regarding the age band also), or in a negative result.

Any advice?

thanks,
Vasantha
Old Mar 27th 2003, 3:34 am
M e M b E r

gordon_flash is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: MODL documentation for ACS, after turning in the application

Originally posted by Vasantha
Hi,

I have turned in the application to ACS with request to be assessed for MODL. The employer's reference states the experience in Java, security, e-commerce breifly and the resume shows J2EE, Java Security etc. Now, I feel I should have provided more detail regarding the work experience related to security and e-commerce. Well, of course, the MODL has changed to have more focus after I applied.

I wonder if it do any good if I mail more supporting docs (detailed reference with information about relevant projects to security and e-commerce). I hope such an act will not cause delays in processing (because I need to be concerned regarding the age band also), or in a negative result.

Any advice?

thanks,
Vasantha
IMHO, no harm in sending more detailed references anyway. Mention clearly that you are doing this to obtain a positive assessment w.r.t MODL.

In all likelyhood they would have asked for them afterall.

Cheers

Gordon
Old Mar 27th 2003, 7:15 am
Jay

Default Re: MODL documentation for ACS, after turning in the application

"The applicant must have both e-commerce/security experience with Java. The e-commerce security experience is essential. The elements of Java that are most important are those dealing with encryption and security. These functions are featured in the Java 2 Platform. An applicant would be expected to be highly skilled in J2EE and JCE. Java is used for web design and at its most basic level is a simple set of applications mastered relatively easily. That is not the skill set we are referring to. The skills that are in shortage are those involving use of these applications in an e-commerce environment, for example where financial transactions are involved, privacy issues, secure ordering and customer relationship management is the main focus. The emphasis is more on experience with e-commerce than the programming expertise but both are essential. SAP skills are often closely related to J2EE experience, although SAP is now not on the MODl.

Here is an explanation of the Java components we are referring to
"Java 2 is the second version of Java from Sun. Enhancements over version one include a Graphical User Interface (GUI), drag and drop capabilities, support for digital certificates and enhanced security tools. Java 2 is available in both standard (J2SE) and enterprise (J2EE) editions.

The Java Cryptography Extension (JCE) is a set of packages that provide a framework and implementations for encryption, key generation and key agreement, and Message Authentication Code (MAC) algorithms. Support for encryption includes symmetric, asymmetric, block, and stream ciphers. The software also supports secure streams and sealed objects. JCE is designed so that other qualified cryptography libraries can be plugged in as service providers, and new algorithms can be added seamlessly. (Qualified providers are signed by a trusted
entity.)

A related application is WebSphere which is an e-business application deployment environment from IBM. It is a set of Java based tools that allow users to create and manage sophisticated business Web sites. The central WebSphere tool is the WebSphere Application Server (WAS) which is used to connect Web site users with Java applications or servlets.
WebSphere also includes a developers environment called Studio." - source GIMA Research P/L."

hope this helps

Vasantha wrote in message...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have turned in the application to ACS with request to be assessed for
    > MODL. The employer's reference states the experience in Java, security,
    > e-commerce breifly and the resume shows J2EE, Java Security etc. Now, I
    > feel I should have provided more detail regarding the work experience
    > related to security and e-commerce. Well, of course, the MODL has
    > changed to have more focus after I applied.
    >
    > I wonder if it do any good if I mail more supporting docs (detailed
    > reference with information about relevant projects to security and
    > e-commerce). I hope such an act will not cause delays in processing
    > (because I need to be concerned regarding the age band also), or in a
    > negative result.
    >
    > Any advice?
    >
    > thanks,
    > Vasantha

Old Mar 27th 2003, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Vasantha is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Gordon and Jay.

I'm skilled in J2EE (JSP, EJB, JCE) and have developed many web applications taking security aspects into consideration. I have used app servers like WebSphere and WebLogic. I have provided this information (not too much detail) on the resume but the employer's reference is brief. I should probably provide another reference to ACS w.r.t MODL.

Any idea regarding the depth of information ACS would need (how much detail should be provided regarding relevant projects)?

thanks,
Vasantha
Old Mar 28th 2003, 3:04 am
M e M b E r

gordon_flash is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Vasantha
Thanks Gordon and Jay.

I'm skilled in J2EE (JSP, EJB, JCE) and have developed many web applications taking security aspects into consideration. I have used app servers like WebSphere and WebLogic. I have provided this information (not too much detail) on the resume but the employer's reference is brief. I should probably provide another reference to ACS w.r.t MODL.

Any idea regarding the depth of information ACS would need (how much detail should be provided regarding relevant projects)?

thanks,
Vasantha
My suggestion is that you write a synopsis for each project you've done which clearly highlight the technologies used. This will be especially be useful for MODL assessment. No harm in being elaborate. Take care that the abbreviations you use (J2EE,JSP,EJB etc ) are expanded at least once in your resume.

Have your resume critically reviewed by a colleague or a friend. This second opinion may bring out descrepancies that you might have missed.

All the best

Gordon
Old Mar 28th 2003, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

always go into as much detail as possible for any application.

even to the extreme of quoting the 'bleedin obvious' -do not assume they will know what you are talking about (even though they do)

this is not what they want to see. they want you to prove without doubt you are what you say you are..

my tra dec was 12 pages long and I understand it sailed through because of the sheer amount of technical detail (I only wished I'd attached photos etc)

consider it to be almost like you being a teacher and the panel are your students.

you must convince them that you actually know what you are talking about and can achieve the level of programming you are applying for.

cheers

richard