Mobile phone question

Old Jan 29th 2001, 5:34 pm
Nick Greaves

I am in the UK with a vodaphone pay as you talk mobile.

What is the situation with regards to taking it over to Australia? I know that you can use
it there, but I would like to register with one of the networks over there, so that the
calls will be cheaper.

How do I go about doing this? How much will it cost me? Will I loose my current UK
mobile number?

Thanks in advance. Nick G

Old Jan 30th 2001, 2:57 am
gponeill

Nick, You can register with one of the networks in Oz. All you need to do is change the
sim card in the phone and you are away. Walk into any phone shop.

Yes, you will lose your UK number.

George

In article <[email protected]>,

> I am in the UK with a vodaphone pay as you talk mobile.
>
> What is the situation with regards to taking it over to Australia? I
know
> that you can use it there, but I would like to register with one of
the
> networks over there, so that the calls will be cheaper.
>
> How do I go about doing this? How much will it cost me? Will I loose my current UK
> mobile number?
>
> Thanks in advance. Nick G

Old Jan 30th 2001, 11:38 am
andrew.yates680

Hi Nick,

I went to Sydney 3 times last year, and have just come back to the UK, i have researched
this in a big way.

I take my BTcellnet mobile and keep my UK number.

Advice, ring Vodafone. I understand Cellnet are same as vodafone but best to check and
speak to them

I pay £2.54 a month and am considered an "International User" when there I can log into
any of the Aus providers, Vodafone being one of them, Telstra and Optus the others.

The benefit of paying this £2.54 is this as an international user i can call Aus
numbers as if my mobile was an aussie one, and costs are same as aussie ones, no need
for the +61 bit.

to receive calls from the UK it costs me and because of the registration and costs of
being an International user I pay the following to receive calls Vodafone - 7p a minute
Optus 9p minute Telstra 12p a minute

in not an Int User it would cost me 79p a minute - you see the benefit there

CALL Vodafone, they will advise best, and you have an advantage of having your provider in
Aus, i dont have BT to use out there you may get an even better deal

Andy Yates

> I am in the UK with a vodaphone pay as you talk mobile.
>
> What is the situation with regards to taking it over to Australia? I know that you can
> use it there, but I would like to register with one of the networks over there, so that
> the calls will be cheaper.
>
> How do I go about doing this? How much will it cost me? Will I loose my current UK
> mobile number?
>
> Thanks in advance. Nick G