In the Millitary

Old Oct 12th 2004, 1:37 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: In the Millitary

UPDATE....
Just opened an email from CO must have been snail email, i am sure they will be in bed now. It says that docs stating spouse discharge date will be fine. I am so relieved you have no idea. So perhaps they like to see that you are leaving.

I will clarify though that I am the primary applicant and i dont know if there would be a difference for the primary applicant being the forces member.

Also have emailed question to many agents and have had a few conflicting answers. I would have emailed my own agent but he ran off with our money after the TRA, but thats another story.

Thanks to everyone, Ill keep you all posted.

Just to clarify (feeling particularly sleepy after lunch!) - your CO is happy if you can produce documents showing the future discharge date and doesn't require you to produce actual discharge papers? We've already given DIMIA copies of my hubby's service docs which give his discharge date......

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 29th 2006 at 7:25 am. Reason: Editing quote at request of original poster
Old Oct 12th 2004, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Craig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura about

UPDATE....
Just opened an email from CO must have been snail email, i am sure they will be in bed now. It says that docs stating spouse discharge date will be fine. I am so relieved you have no idea. So perhaps they like to see that you are leaving.

Thanks to everyone, Ill keep you all posted.

Great news, thanks so much for keeping us in the picture. As regards the posting I'd like one somewhere in the east of England as a last one. Ta.

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 29th 2006 at 7:27 am. Reason: Editing quote at request of original poster
Old Oct 12th 2004, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

lisa and greg is a name known to alllisa and greg is a name known to alllisa and greg is a name known to alllisa and greg is a name known to alllisa and greg is a name known to alllisa and greg is a name known to alllisa and greg is a name known to alllisa and greg is a name known to alllisa and greg is a name known to alllisa and greg is a name known to alllisa and greg is a name known to all

Hi

Great news. How long does your hubby have left to serve? I will also be the main applicant, so am very interested in what your CO says.

cheers

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 29th 2006 at 7:29 am. Reason: Editing quote at request of original poster
Old Oct 12th 2004, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

Good news,

Hope everything works out well for you all.

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 29th 2006 at 7:30 am. Reason: Editing quote at request of original poster
Old Oct 12th 2004, 7:50 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nicstids
George,

If an applicant in the armed forces is successful in requesting that DIMIA put his/ her application on hold until discharge papers are available, then would you expect that medicals/ police checks would similarly be put on hold? Just thinking that, if you complete your medicals and police checks but have a wait until the discharge papers are available, then you may end up with very little time to validate.....

Nicola
Hi Nicola,

It's always possible to repeat medical and police clearances. I'm not sure whether Annn's situation is directly comparable to anyone else's. But I'm certainly going to ask her for the CO email so I can check with Canberra without mentioning anyone's names, since it seems to conflict with what we were told in early July. It may now be mentioned in the procedures advice manual revisions so I'll check there too.

Cheers,

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au
Old Oct 12th 2004, 11:54 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Those of you in the UK armed forces ought to be aware that there are also applicants from the Burmese, Indonesian and Congo military forces and you'd definitely want to make sure those characters are demobilised before giving them migration rights.
George - the British military may well take a dim view of being lumped in with countries like Burma and Indonesia by a friendly nation like Australia.

If the Ministry of Defence in the UK want to take the issue up with Australia through official channels, they are of course welcome to do so and they might be successful in changing policy.

Jeremy
Old Oct 13th 2004, 12:23 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
George - the British military may well take a dim view of being lumped in with countries like Burma and Indonesia by a friendly nation like Australia.

Jeremy
Hi Jeremy,

Quite. But the problem is that the Australian Department of Immigration would be on a slippery slope if it allowed some, and not others. You could allow US soldiers and then find they were still serving in Abu Ghraib prison, for example. Speaking of that topic, see http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?040510fa_fact for some disturbing new revelations.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Old Oct 13th 2004, 7:02 am
Dancing Queen

Lucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Hi Jeremy,

Quite. But the problem is that the Australian Department of Immigration would be on a slippery slope if it allowed some, and not others. You could allow US soldiers and then find they were still serving in Abu Ghraib prison, for example. Speaking of that topic, see http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?040510fa_fact for some disturbing new revelations.

Cheers,

George Lombard

George

I appreciate your point, but UK is a Commonwealth country and I resent being lumped together with everyone else.

Surely if you wanted to migrate and you were in prison, you have to show your military service papers. Not only does it show your conduct, it shows all your postings, detentions etc. Surely being detained in a military prison is like being on remand in a civilian prison and unless you are actually found guilty in a court of law and sentenced, you wouldn't be denied a visa on that basis because you are actually innocent unless proven to be guilty.

Surely an amount of common sense can be used in cases like this. It seems like all serving members of the armed forces are being tarred with the same brush.

Iraq is a very sensitive subject at the moment but it seems that politics seem to get in the way every time. The government send you off to war, you may kill people, you may not, but when the shit hits the fan they wash their hands of you, the Rules of Engagement and all that.

Excuse the rant, but as a Navy wife I have become very cynical over the years. Nobody wants to go to war themselves, but the armed forces get a slating if it goes pear-shaped and they are hero's if they whoop-ass on the Argentinians!
Old Oct 13th 2004, 7:12 am
Meryl

Just to tag on. When my partner tried to get a copy of his discharge
papers from the US military for 6 weeks service in 1969, us Vet
Affairs quoted 25 weeks wait!
He managed to get it more quickly by direct appeals to a librarian.
Meryl

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 00:23:27 +0000, George Lombard
<member8124@british_expats.com> wrote:

>> George - the British military may well take a dim view of being lumped
    >> in with countries like Burma and Indonesia by a friendly nation like
    >> Australia.
    >> If the Ministry of Defence in the UK want to take the issue up with
    >> Australia through official channels, they are of course welcome to do
    >> so and they might be successful in changing policy.
    >> Jeremy
    >Hi Jeremy,
    >Quite. But the problem is that the Australian Department of Immigration
    >would be on a slippery slope if it allowed some, and not others. You
    >could allow US soldiers and then find they were still serving in Abu
    >Ghraib prison, for example. Speaking of that topic, see
    >http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?040510fa_fact for some disturbing
    >new revelations.
    >Cheers,
    >George Lombard
    >www.austimmigration.com.au

Old Oct 13th 2004, 8:09 am
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxy

PortJackson is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JAJ

If the Ministry of Defence in the UK want to take the issue up with Australia through official channels, they are of course welcome to do so and they might be successful in changing policy.

Jeremy
Couldnt see Australia risk annoying Indonesia by excuding them from any changes.Especially with the *close* political and economic camaraderie enjoyed over the past 30 years(not to mention the all important oil agreements).
Old Oct 13th 2004, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Craig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura about

Now that forces persons have been character assassinated perhaps many would do well to remember that one day they may well be the very people putting their lives on the line to save you. On November 11th, remember many of you would not be able to emigrate if it wasnt for those who did put their lives on the line, and lost them!
HEAR! HEAR!

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 29th 2006 at 7:32 am. Reason: Editing quote at request of original poster
Old Oct 13th 2004, 11:10 am
Dancing Queen

Lucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the rough

Its a good job I cant type fast.
The issue of the above is of course disturbing to say the least. But do you stop a policeman or a prison guard because they are possibly a racist or somewhat sadistic in their treatment of people. ANYBODY CAN BE A SICKO. A police check which is clear today may only be clear because you have not been caught yet.
The reasons as I see it that DIMIA may not issue visa until discharge papers are produced, are more to do with a potential risk of a conflict between forces. Although this is not fool proof as most forces are required to enter on to a reserve list anyway. Many British servicemen do in fact join the Australian forces.

Now that forces persons have been character assassinated perhaps many would do well to remember that one day they may well be the very people putting their lives on the line to save you. On November 11th, remember many of you would not be able to emigrate if it wasnt for those who did put their lives on the line, and lost them!

(George I will PM a reply later.)
Hear, Hear. Well said. It really pisses me off that places like Plymouth and Portsmouth have a bad reputation for Matelo's and Squaddies causing trouble. They do get a bit "high" spiritied, but the same can be said of all blokes out on the sauce, I live in a Navy town and there is more trouble from students than there is from the Navy lads.

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 29th 2006 at 7:32 am. Reason: Editing quote at request of original poster
Old Oct 14th 2004, 9:28 am
Dancing Queen

Please can someone help?
DIMIA have requested millitary discharge papers for spouse. Said spouse is still in the Millitary, has to give a years notice and he has a few months to go yet. On the 47sk it was stated that he was still in the Millitary, anybody got any ideas? I have done a search but couldnt find anything.

A big thanks in advance for any help.

I have had a reply from my agent. Basically he doesn't know. It is all down to your case officer. How long has your husband been in? We deliberately left it until after my husband had done his 22 years, so now that he is in extended service he can have an early release (sounds like prison)! Although we have cut it fine - he will be 42 in May.

The only thing that we can do is see how each of our cases is progressing. We have done our Police Clearances and they are with our agent. We have our Medicals booked for next Tuesday to get them out of the way as by husband is due to go on board ship for 6 weeks. You know what it is like - trying to sort things out whilst they are at home!

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 29th 2006 at 7:33 am. Reason: Editing original quote at request of original poster
Old Oct 14th 2004, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lucyemma5
I have had a reply from my agent. Basically he doesn't know. It is all down to your case officer. How long has your husband been in? We deliberately left it until after my husband had done his 22 years, so now that he is in extended service he can have an early release (sounds like prison)! Although we have cut it fine - he will be 42 in May.

The only thing that we can do is see how each of our cases is progressing. We have done our Police Clearances and they are with our agent. We have our Medicals booked for next Tuesday to get them out of the way as by husband is due to go on board ship for 6 weeks. You know what it is like - trying to sort things out whilst they are at home!

Sounds like a plan to me. We haven't even lodged yet as we're waiting on a couple of references from companies my wife does work for. Hopefully by the end of the month it'll be on its way. Intending to enclose the confirmation of discharge date letter, police checks (including military) and everything else. We'll then wait to see what the Case Officer asks for and cross the bridge when we get to it

Will let you all know if we have any update worth reporting. All the best with your applications and fingers crossed.

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 29th 2006 at 7:34 am. Reason: Editing quote at request of original poster
Old Oct 26th 2004, 2:02 pm
Dancing Queen

Originally Posted by Craig Brooke
Sounds like a plan to me. We haven't even lodged yet as we're waiting on a couple of references from companies my wife does work for. Hopefully by the end of the month it'll be on its way. Intending to enclose the confirmation of discharge date letter, police checks (including military) and everything else. We'll then wait to see what the Case Officer asks for and cross the bridge when we get to it

Will let you all know if we have any update worth reporting. All the best with your applications and fingers crossed.
I just thought I would give you all an update:

139 visa (skilled, sponsored, designated area)
Medicals done last week, case number received today, CO has asked for AOS to be progressed. Nothing else to do now, except wait and see if discharge papers are requested (letter sent from Navy a couple of weeks ago stating that hubby has put his notice in).

Father-in-Law has made an appoitment with Centrelink in Brisbane for 15th November.

Lucy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.