Which migration agent?

Old Nov 25th 2008, 9:31 am
Just Joined

jimhoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which migration agent?

Hi all,

This is my first post on here, and indeed any forum ever, so you'll have to excuse me if I do anything I shouldn't!

Currently looking at using an agent called True Blue migration, who seem extremely professional, and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them, good or bad? I'd like to hear from customers rather than other agents though if thats ok?

Thier fees seem reasonable enough, and although I think we could probably do the application alone, we think its worth paying the extra if it means our application is successful. (I've been wanting to migrate for 7 years now, so it must succeed!!!!!)
The other company I'm hearing a lot of is Go Matilda- any word on them either?

Any help would be much appreciated, and would also mean that maybe we can pass on advice of our own in the future!

Many Thanks,
Jim and Amy.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 12:47 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Which migration agent?

The two agents that I usually see recommded on here are George Lombard & Alan Collet, in no particular order. Allan is with Go Matilda so yes, I would say they have a pretty good reputation.

You don't need to use an agent if you feel comfortable enough doing it on your own. Lots of us have done it, myself included. If you've got a simple case with no real complication and you don't mind the research then you could probably do it yourself. If you do a search on here about using agents or doing it alone you'll probably get lots of advice.

If you do decide to use an agent make sure they are MARA registered so that you have a bit of protection should things go wrong.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

starwin4u is just really nicestarwin4u is just really nicestarwin4u is just really nicestarwin4u is just really nicestarwin4u is just really nicestarwin4u is just really nicestarwin4u is just really nicestarwin4u is just really nice

I can Recommend Tony Coats he is with Overseas Emigration Visas (http://www.overseas-emigration.co.uk)

and you can try with peter he is with ptlabs (http://ptlabs.com.au/)

Try them,
Old Nov 25th 2008, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

Satch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to all

We are rather pleased with George Lombard.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by starwin4u
I can Recommend Tony Coats he is with Overseas Emigration Visas (http://www.overseas-emigration.co.uk)

and you can try with peter he is with ptlabs (http://ptlabs.com.au/)

Try them,

I think Tony Coates is with Ian Harrop & Associates - a better choice.
Also Visa Bureau and Visa-Go.
Get a few quotes, check out the services provided, speak to the agents and take it from there.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 5:23 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by comet555
The two agents that I usually see recommded on here are George Lombard & Alan Collet, in no particular order. Allan is with Go Matilda so yes, I would say they have a pretty good reputation.

You don't need to use an agent if you feel comfortable enough doing it on your own. Lots of us have done it, myself included. If you've got a simple case with no real complication and you don't mind the research then you could probably do it yourself. If you do a search on here about using agents or doing it alone you'll probably get lots of advice.

If you do decide to use an agent make sure they are MARA registered so that you have a bit of protection should things go wrong.
I'd agree with this. All the information you need to submit an application can be found on the http://www.immi.gov.au web-site with lots of people here willing to provide answers to any of your questions.

When I started out, I was also shopping around for an agent but quickly found the fees to be far far more than I wanted to pay - especially given that I had to do all the work myself anyway (RPL in particular).

I'll admit that it did seem very daunting at first and I didn't really think that I was going to be able to wade through the minefield on my own but I did in the end and saved myself a HUGE sum of money.

Having said that, each to their own and you should go with an agent if you think the money spent will buy you poeace of mind. I initially had dealings with Overseas Emmigration and have nothing negative to say about them (other than the fees that is).

Good luck whichever way you go :-)

- CDM
Old Nov 26th 2008, 10:32 am
Wherever I lay my hat...

alborz114 is just really nicealborz114 is just really nicealborz114 is just really nicealborz114 is just really nicealborz114 is just really nicealborz114 is just really nicealborz114 is just really nicealborz114 is just really nicealborz114 is just really nice

I would shop around and get a few quotes before you decide to go it alone or use an agent. I was going to do it myself but time was just ticking by and I wasn't getting anywhere fast so went to an agent and signed up straight away. The plus side was that things moved along much quicker and my application went to Oz within 6-7 months (That is with the skills assessment passed) whereas for the previous 6 months I was struggling to do it all. The negative side was that I paid a lot more than a lot of people have paid (because I panicked and didn't shop around) and I had to do all the running around getting documents certified and such like. I got lucky in that a solicitor friend of mine didn't charge me much for doing it all. Otherwise it would have cost me over a grand more than it did.
So, it is entirely a personal choice. The agents do seem to make a lot of money for doing nothing especially if it is a smooth process without any problems. On the other hand it took the worry away for me.
Something to consider.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 12:23 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by alborz114
The negative side was that I paid a lot more than a lot of people have paid (because I panicked and didn't shop around) and I had to do all the running around getting documents certified and such like. I got lucky in that a solicitor friend of mine didn't charge me much for doing it all. Otherwise it would have cost me over a grand more than it did.
It was going to cost you over a grand more to get all your documents certified? I got ALL my documents certified in one go at the local Post Office for £7.

- CDM
Old Nov 27th 2008, 8:29 am
Wherever I lay my hat...

alborz114 is just really nicealborz114 is just really nicealborz114 is just really nicealborz114 is just really nicealborz114 is just really nicealborz114 is just really nicealborz114 is just really nicealborz114 is just really nicealborz114 is just really nice

Originally Posted by CDM
It was going to cost you over a grand more to get all your documents certified? I got ALL my documents certified in one go at the local Post Office for £7.

- CDM
I just went on my agents advice and the lowest quotes I got was £5 per document. No one told me it could be done at the post office. I wish I had found this forum before I started.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 9:04 am
CDM
BE Enthusiast

I just went on my agents advice and the lowest quotes I got was £5 per document. No one told me it could be done at the post office. I wish I had found this forum before I started.
There's another reason for foregoing the use of an agent perhaps?

- CDM
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

brighter2moro is on a distinguished road

I just went on my agents advice and the lowest quotes I got was £5 per document. No one told me it could be done at the post office.
Technically, it can't. Although Post Office certified documents do sometimes get accepted, the general rule of thumb is that Post Offices, Banks etc. cannot certify documents for the purposes of migration. Technically, it has to be a solicitor, justice of the peace or notary member of the public. Some organisations / assessment bodies are stricter on certification than others. For example, I've heard of vetassess not accepting certified copies of documents because there was no individual name on the certification details.

Still, no solicitor should charge more than about £10 per document, and it's often cheaper just to pay them by the hour.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 3:21 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brighter2moro
Technically, it can't. Although Post Office certified documents do sometimes get accepted, the general rule of thumb is that Post Offices, Banks etc. cannot certify documents for the purposes of migration. Technically, it has to be a solicitor, justice of the peace or notary member of the public. Some organisations / assessment bodies are stricter on certification than others. For example, I've heard of vetassess not accepting certified copies of documents because there was no individual name on the certification details.

Still, no solicitor should charge more than about £10 per document, and it's often cheaper just to pay them by the hour.
The woman at the Post Office that did my documents WAS a notary public. She was the only person there that could do the certification.

I'm interested to learn that using the Post Office for document certification might be a problem for immigration purposes. All my documents were accepted for the RPL process by the ACS but it will be interesting to see what, if anything, my CO has to say (if ever I'm assigned one ;-) about those Post Office certified documents that I've submitted.

- CDM

Last edited by CDM; Dec 10th 2008 at 3:23 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CDM
The woman at the Post Office that did my documents WAS a notary public. She was the only person there that could do the certification.

I'm interested to learn that using the Post Office for document certification might be a problem for immigration purposes. All my documents were accepted for the RPL process by the ACS but it will be interesting to see what, if anything, my CO has to say (if everI'm assigned one ;-) about those Post Office certified documents that I've submitted.

- CDM
I thought Post Masters were ok to certify docs for DIAC, though I know that they weren't fo Engineers Australia.

INcidentally, if you have access to a colour scanner, I have had confirmation from DIAC that colour scans do not need to be certified at all - thus saving even more money.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

cavysqueak is just really nicecavysqueak is just really nicecavysqueak is just really nicecavysqueak is just really nicecavysqueak is just really nicecavysqueak is just really nicecavysqueak is just really nicecavysqueak is just really nice

Both myself & my sister used Go Matilda. I had a straight forward application, so could have probably done the forms myself, but I liked the idea and reassurance that somebody who knew what they were doing was filling in the forms & sending everything off. I worry about stuff like that, so it was worth the money for me. Go Matilda were good & a decent cost.

My sisters application was a bit more complicated, with 5 of them on the application. But she also had a smooth ride with the help of Go Matilda. So I'm sure she would recommend them as well.

However, there are many different agents, so look around and get more advice. As previously mentioned check they are certified.

Hope that is useful.