Meds and pregnancy

Old Nov 6th 2007, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of
Default Meds and pregnancy

My wife is applying for a spouse visa, but we've just found out she's preggers (yay I guess - all very scary). Anyway, the radiologist won't do the Xray - will this seriously affect her chances for a 100/309? I'm guessing it's more of a problem for skilled migrants, especially seeing as the baby will be an Oz citizen thanks to me. Is this right? Are we now scuppered?
Old Nov 6th 2007, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

scrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud of
Default Re: Meds and pregnancy

Originally Posted by James516
My wife is applying for a spouse visa, but we've just found out she's preggers (yay I guess - all very scary). Anyway, the radiologist won't do the Xray - will this seriously affect her chances for a 100/309? I'm guessing it's more of a problem for skilled migrants, especially seeing as the baby will be an Oz citizen thanks to me. Is this right? Are we now scuppered?

Not scuppered at all. Just means your wife will have to wait for x-ray to be done after your bundle of joy arrives

CONGRATULATIONS

Trish
Old Nov 6th 2007, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by scrum
Not scuppered at all. Just means your wife will have to wait for x-ray to be done after your bundle of joy arrives

CONGRATULATIONS

Trish
Does she really have to wait? That would mean we are scuppered - I have a job offer starting in 2 months, and they won't hold it for me. Will she get the visa without an Xray?
Old Nov 6th 2007, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

black cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to all

Does she really have to wait? That would mean we are scuppered - I have a job offer starting in 2 months, and they won't hold it for me. Will she get the visa without an Xray?
Some times they will allow you to have an xray wearing a lead apron to cover the vunerable areas! Probably depands on who is doing the xrays though. BTW I had an xray completley unprotected when i was pregnant with my son (did'nt know i was pregnant) with no ill effects. All the best
Old Nov 6th 2007, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

scrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud of

Double check this with one of the agents who post on here. George Lombard, Tony Coates or Alan Collett will answer you for definite.

Anyone I've read about who was pregnant has had to wait until they had the baby to have their x-ray done.

I think the rule is that if you know you are pregnant you have to let DIAC know.

Hope you work this one out.

Trish
Old Nov 6th 2007, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Have a look at the thread titled BABY that was just posted - might clarify things a little for you.

Trish
Old Nov 7th 2007, 1:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Chest X-ray is normally mandatory for a spouse visa, even if child will be a citizen (it's actually to check for mother's health) and even though there is a health waiver on the spouse visa.

I am not aware of any scope for waiver on this, although perhaps George Lombard will know more.

Some doctors will do an x-ray with lead shielding. Others won't.

How long have you been together and has she actually applied for the visa yet? It may affect whether she gets a 309 or goes straight to subclass 100.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ

How long have you been together and has she actually applied for the visa yet? It may affect whether she gets a 309 or goes straight to subclass 100.
We've been together 11 years, married for 7 - I'm pretty confident she'll get a subclass 100 straight away. It sounds like we're going to have to find a radiologist who is willing to do the X-ray with a shield. The Cromwell hospital in London won't do it.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 6:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by black cat
Some times they will allow you to have an xray wearing a lead apron to cover the vunerable areas! Probably depands on who is doing the xrays though. BTW I had an xray completley unprotected when i was pregnant with my son (did'nt know i was pregnant) with no ill effects. All the best
The main concern relates to the developing child's fertility...ie damage to the gametes - and that child's offspring ie the pregnant womans potential grandchildren.

Edit: this is rare, but in this modern day we all try to limit the chances of anything "happening", and organisations dont want to be sued.

Last edited by Ozzidoc; Nov 7th 2007 at 8:05 am. Reason: extra info - i sounded harsh!
Old Nov 7th 2007, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

black cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
The main concern relates to the developing child's fertility...ie damage to the gametes - and that child's offspring ie the pregnant womans potential grandchildren.
Is there anyway i can check this out? as i you have seriously worried me!!! As i stated didn't know i was pregnant and it was an xray on my mouth/head???
Old Nov 7th 2007, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Is there anyway i can check this out? as i you have seriously worried me!!! As i stated didn't know i was pregnant and it was an xray on my mouth/head???
Please dont be worried!

1. it was your head, not your pelvis
2. even if it was your pelvis, it is not like there is automatically damage to the eggs/sperm (or rather sperm's predecessors).
3. there are lots of different factors to consider.

It's like alcohol. The effects of alcohol in pregnancy are not really predictable. The yanks think that if you have ONE glass of wine throughout your pregnancy then you are putting your unborn child at risk of physical disabilities/abnormalities. The brits think that alcohol is OK in moderation.

Alcohol intake in pregnancy has been demonstrated to cause problems in some kids, this is likely to be due to all kinds of factors like the exact timing of the alcohol intake (like eg exactly day XX plus 2hrs 33 1/2 minutes after implantation than at any other time in the pregnancy), the woman's metabolism, etc etc ie, hardly predictable.

So you avoid it (alcohol, xray etc) if you can, but there is no 100% automatic and predictable event or change to the offspring etc

Hope that this helps?

I'm sure that the lovely Batty-x-ray will be able to help.....just need to hunt her down.

Last edited by Ozzidoc; Nov 7th 2007 at 8:04 am. Reason: splyng
Old Nov 7th 2007, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Please dont be worried!

1. it was your head, not your pelvis
2. even if it was your pelvis, it is not like there is automatically damage to the eggs/sperm (or rather sperm's predecessors).
3. there are lots of different factors to consider.

It's like alcohol. The effects of alcohol in pregnancy are not really predictable. The yanks think that if you have ONE glass of wine throughout your pregnancy then you are putting your unborn child at risk of physical disabilities/abnormalities. The brits think that alcohol is OK in moderation.

Alcohol intake in pregnancy has been demonstrated to cause problems in some kids, this is likely to be due to all kinds of factors like the exact timing of the alcohol intake (like eg exactly day XX plus 2hrs 33 1/2 minutes after implantation than at any other time in the pregnancy), the woman's metabolism, etc etc ie, hardly predictable.

So you avoid it (alcohol, xray etc) if you can, but there is no 100% automatic and predictable event or change to the offspring etc

Hope that this helps?

I'm sure that the lovely Batty-x-ray will be able to help.....just need to hunt her down.
Thanks, I had a few drinks to!
Old Nov 7th 2007, 12:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks, I had a few drinks to!
Exactly. As have many people over the years, which is exactly my point

Just because you are exposed to something that has some kind of risk attached to it, doesn't mean that anything bad will actually happen.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

fayeziebabes is an unknown quantity at this point

I was in the same situation and I got a letter form my Case officer to say that I had to wait till the baby was born until all the family could get x-rays/medicals. It seemingly isn't safe to get it done in early stages of pregnancy but you could explain the situation to DIMAC and they might let your wife if she wears a sheild. Good luck with this! We are still waiting on our visa and totally fed up!!!