Medicals

Old Mar 10th 2008, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

stubbieholder31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Medicals

Hi there, we are due to book our medicals this week. Please can someone tell me what this will entail apart from chest xrays. I have worked in the care industry and heard somewhere i'll have to have blood tests, etc. Is this right? Also what is the cost for all of this? We are going to Australia.What will my 7 year old daughter require?
We are in the midlands.

Cheers.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

helena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Medicals

Originally Posted by stubbieholder31
Hi there, we are due to book our medicals this week. Please can someone tell me what this will entail apart from chest xrays. I have worked in the care industry and heard somewhere i'll have to have blood tests, etc. Is this right? Also what is the cost for all of this? We are going to Australia.What will my 7 year old daughter require?
We are in the midlands.

Cheers.
Hi,

All adults have a full medical which includes chest xray, blood tests (HIV & HEP B & C if you have tatoos), possibly a breast exam if you are over 40. Children get a general medical, no xrays or blood tests. We are in Ireland so not sure about the prices in UK. I believe they can vary so it is a good idea to shop around.

Helena
Old Mar 10th 2008, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

stubbieholder31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, thanks for the info.
Will have a ring round for the best quotes then!

Cheers,
Old Mar 10th 2008, 12:22 pm

Ruby slippers is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, thanks for the info.

Cheers,
Have you looked on this link?

http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/over...el-doctors.htm
Old Mar 10th 2008, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

Use the search function - there is a thread daily on this subject which would be informative and useful!
Old Mar 10th 2008, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

DavidShea is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, thanks for the info.

Cheers,
Don't forget it has to be an approved doctor on their list. Take a look at form 26 (medical) and 160 (x-ray) which gives you more information about the medicals. As far as I know kids can have medicals done too, especially if they're adopted, or have a history of blood transfusion - they're mainly looking for HIV and TB.

Oh, and if it's a temporary visa (E.g. 457) you might need just a chest x-ray, but in that case they'd tell you.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 12:20 am
Just Joined

OddSocks is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, we are due to book our medicals this week. Please can someone tell me what this will entail apart from chest xrays.
Cheers.
I've applied for a 175 and had my medicals back in Jan. It's possible you may have different requirements but if you want a run down of the sort of tests they do, here's a list.

A. Chest X-Ray (separate to main medical)

B. Going from memory, the Main medical, consisted of:
  • Blood Pressure
  • Height
  • Weight
  • Stomach circumference - they measure around your belly!
  • Eyesight - reading letters of decreasing size on the wall, glasses & contacts are allowed.
  • Eye Exam
  • Urine test - "litmus" test checking for sugars etc.
  • Mobility tests - touch toes, turn head that kinda thing
  • Blood Test - HIV compulsory, Hep C & B may be necessary depending on your circumstances, eg if you have tattoos plan to work in a medical profession
  • Throat (internal & external), Teeth and Tongue exam.
  • Ear Exam
  • Lungs & Heart examination with stethoscope
  • Lung capacity test
  • Examined for scars (eg operation scars) and asked to explain them.
  • Arm pits and groin exam
  • Arms and legs examined for signs of drug taking.

In addition to the above, known medical issues where discussed and lifestyle issues such as diet and exercise. I got the impression that these partly served to distract you whilst tests were taking place such as taking blood and to assess your "mental / intelligence" state. I was also asked to bring my immunization record.

The X-ray was £60 and the medical was about £200. Prices will probably vary depending on the panel doctor.