MEDICAL QUESTION

Old Sep 13th 2009, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light
Default MEDICAL QUESTION

I have a question concerning the medical form you have to fill in for your medical when applying for visa. Hoping someone else may have been in same situation.
One of the questions asks if anyone has ever claimed government financial assisstance and prescribed medication.
My wife is the secondary visa applicant and suffered from post natal depression and after being on sick claimed benefit and was prescribed anti depressants which she has and no longer takes.
She has no intention of claiming benefit or having prescibed medication in australia but I feel this may be a reason for the visa to be turned down.
I know i should disclose everything but has anyone ever been in this situation and not disclosed every medical problem?
do they actually check with your GP?
Old Sep 13th 2009, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

shirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud of
Default Re: MEDICAL QUESTION

Always better to disclose I reckon but usually when you do,it will raise the question of wether the problem still exists!Where possible you should back up your disclosures with a note from your GP basically outlining the diagnosis,treatment and prognosis(long term afects if any).They are basically looking at conditions that are life threatening like cancers,high BP,Diabetes etc.as these would have an impact on the Australian healthcare system as long term issues.I am quite sure that a case of PND would not hinder your application in any way but IMHO I would disclose it as I said above.

This is only my opinion and by no way set in stone, if anyone else wants to take a stab at advice then go ahead.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

danbradb1987 will become famous soon enoughdanbradb1987 will become famous soon enough

you should disclose it i am on medication and my visa has now been granted it will be up to the doctor who does your medical if it is relevant
Old Sep 13th 2009, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

thanks for info.
I realise disclosure is best but do they check your medical history with GP as this is no longer relevant to my wife at present.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 5:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garyp
thanks for info.
I realise disclosure is best but do they check your medical history with GP as this is no longer relevant to my wife at present.
Please disclose all medical histories, as requested.

I disagree. It IS relevant to your wife's current and life-long health and well-being. The Oz government is interested in the future as well as the present.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Please disclose all medical histories, as requested.

I disagree. It IS relevant to your wife's current and life-long health and well-being. The Oz government is interested in the future as well as the present.
I dont think you have anything to worry about. Just ask your Doc to do a letter to say the reason for the medication and that she has been off it for so and so and was for PND. But please disclose it. My hubby had severe psoraisis and he also had been on prozac which we also declared, been living here for 4.5 years now.

Jo
Old Sep 13th 2009, 8:53 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for info.
No they don't check with your GP. If they need more info they will request it from you, and then you may have to get that info from your GP, but DIAC do not go direct to GPs.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

How do they confirm an existing medical condition that has not been disclosed eg depression? isnt this open to abuse?
Old Sep 14th 2009, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

helena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud of

How do they confirm an existing medical condition that has not been disclosed eg depression? isnt this open to abuse?
Hi,

You should disclose everything in my opinion. You will not be turned down over this matter and you have already spoken about it on this open forum. I suffered with severe depression for over 4 years. I spent time in hospital and still take my medication. I got a report from my GP (as advised by the panal doc) and I had no problems what so ever. This move was part of my recovery and so far everything is going great! Best of luck with your application!
Helena
Old Sep 14th 2009, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

thanks for answers. I See it as a step to her recovery too.