Medical Q ~ GP records

Old Mar 3rd 2007, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

sunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nice
Question Medical Q ~ GP records

Hi,
Can't find this info on previous threads...
We're about to get our family medicals and the doc's in Manchester has asked for our GP records. Our GP receptionist seems to be being a bit snotty and asking for a formal request from said medical doc's and a charge.

Is this normal and any advice on speeding things up, our medicals are due in couple of weeks.

cheers SB
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 12:37 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Q ~ GP records

Originally Posted by sunburn
Hi,
We're about to get our family medicals and the doc's in Manchester has asked for our GP records. Our GP receptionist seems to be being a bit snotty and asking for a formal request from said medical doc's and a charge.

Is this normal and any advice on speeding things up, our medicals are due in couple of weeks.

cheers SB
Why would the panel doctor need or want your GP records? The only thing we provided was a letter from my cardiologist saying my heart condition was under control and my son's psychiatrist saying he was a normal functioning member of society.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

mvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

cheers SB
Not sure why your panel doctor has asked for all your medical records from your GP for all of you - are you sure this is really what they've asked for? It sounds odd.
Your GP receptionist is quite correct to ask for a formal request (either from you or the panel doctor) and is also quite correct that there would be a charge for this service as it is NOT covered by the NHS. Many GPs now charge a standard fee of between £40 and £60 for each set of records requested (roughly - some might even charge more now) to cover the administrative and GP time involved. (Prior to release the records needs to be gone through to make sure there is nothing in their that relates to third parties or that would be harmful if released). Others charge per page.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 5:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mvt550
Not sure why your panel doctor has asked for all your medical records from your GP for all of you - are you sure this is really what they've asked for? It sounds odd.
Your GP receptionist is quite correct to ask for a formal request (either from you or the panel doctor) and is also quite correct that there would be a charge for this service as it is NOT covered by the NHS. Many GPs now charge a standard fee of between £40 and £60 for each set of records requested (roughly - some might even charge more now) to cover the administrative and GP time involved. (Prior to release the records needs to be gone through to make sure there is nothing in their that relates to third parties or that would be harmful if released). Others charge per page.
You are entitled to a copy of your records under the Data Protection Act, and they can make a reasonable charge for copying. DO you or your family have a condition which means the doc at the medical needs the records? Maybe thats why he he/she has asked for them.
In addition to this - if you get your records check them carefully. Mine contained details of two operations on completely different people!
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

mvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You are entitled to a copy of your records under the Data Protection Act, and they can make a reasonable charge for copying. DO you or your family have a condition which means the doc at the medical needs the records? Maybe thats why he he/she has asked for them.
In addition to this - if you get your records check them carefully. Mine contained details of two operations on completely different people!
Sorry to be pedantic but I think it's important to point out that you are NOT necessarily entitled to a copy of ALL of your medical records.
As I said before there are certain situations in which access to parts of medical records would be denied.
In addition, despite the data protection act, there is no statutory obligation for doctors to provide access to medical records from before November 1991. In practice though, access would often be granted.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

sunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nice

Thanks for the replies, I will double check with Mrs as am hearing this 2nd hand, just wanted to be on the ball and get things sorted before the medical day.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

JAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to all

Hi, We have just had our medicals and apart from ourselves and our x-rays. All we needed was a cheque.
We were both surprised at how basic the medical actually was. Height, Weight, eye test, blood pressure, urine sample and Blood test.
No mention of any previous records at all.
The bit that hurt the most was writing the cheque for £430.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

As there is a meds thread already i will stick this on here if you dont mind
I understand that i need to show proof of childhood immunisations at medicals for kids aged 14 & 11. WIll my 18 year old need to show proof too ( he is coming as a dependant)???
thanks
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

The Whitings is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies, I will double check with Mrs as am hearing this 2nd hand, just wanted to be on the ball and get things sorted before the medical day.
Hi. We had our meds done in Manchester in December. They asked us to get from our doctors records of any hospitalisations excluding minor things - the decision what to give to the examiner was ours. Docs charged £40 and we had to complete a data access request form. Took them 3 to 4 days and they gave us the lot!
Are you going to the Manchester Medical Exam centre in St John St?
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Whitings
Hi. We had our meds done in Manchester in December. They asked us to get from our doctors records of any hospitalisations excluding minor things - the decision what to give to the examiner was ours. Docs charged £40 and we had to complete a data access request form. Took them 3 to 4 days and they gave us the lot!
Are you going to the Manchester Medical Exam centre in St John St?

Yes we are booked in at St John street.
"Copies of hospital reports (from GP file) excluding minor events" was their exact wording, along with abnormal smear results etc.
Will try again with our GP receptionist, she was asking the panel to write to them then they action. Im sure we should be able to formally ask instead.

thanks for replies again
Old Mar 4th 2007, 8:43 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds like they only want hospital reports for operations and things done at hospital.

Wouldn't your GP's file show the minor events which they don't seem to want?
Old Mar 4th 2007, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ws99
That sounds like they only want hospital reports for operations and things done at hospital.

Wouldn't your GP's file show the minor events which they don't seem to want?

I guess so, but the GP holds the records. I take it from above threads they either provide a copy of all or selected entries, which we then take to our medical.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 8:51 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

What a hassle for you! Its so strange how all the Doctors differ slightly, the one we went to didn't ask for anything from us!

Good luck ws.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ws99
What a hassle for you! Its so strange how all the Doctors differ slightly, the one we went to didn't ask for anything from us!

Good luck ws.

Just another hoop to jump through !
Our real challenge will be keeping our two boys still long enough to be examined
Old Mar 4th 2007, 1:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daunted
As there is a meds thread already i will stick this on here if you dont mind
I understand that i need to show proof of childhood immunisations at medicals for kids aged 14 & 11. WIll my 18 year old need to show proof too ( he is coming as a dependant)???
thanks
We have 2 kids 15 and 9, we weren't asked for any proof of immunisations at the meds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.