Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Medical? - Gastric Band & Underactive thyroid?

Medical? - Gastric Band & Underactive thyroid?

Old Mar 6th 2008, 9:20 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical? - Gastric Band & Underactive thyroid?

Originally Posted by YvonnePaul
Hi!

I'm so glad I found this thread. I was diagnosed with hyper then it went into hypo a couple of years ago. I'm currently taking 75mcg of Thyroxine.

I went for my medical for Oz in February and when I was weighed I made a comment about it being a nice side effect of having an underactive thyroid. She then took my pulse (which was slow) and asked a few more questions and told me to get back to my doc quicksmart!! I thought what I was feeling was down to doing so much (organising the visa stuff, 2 jobs, a voluntary job, doing up the house etc.) My symptoms include extreme tiredness (so bad I'm falling asleep at my desk and on the bus on a daily basis), weight gain that I just cannot lose, dry hair & skin, feeling down. In hindsight I can't believe I didn't see that it was still my thyroid making me ill.

I have an appointment to get blood taken (I'm going to ask for T3 & T4 as well as TSH) on Friday then a docs appointment the next Friday. I hope I can get the help I need and not be fobbed off. I'm very interested in Armour (dessicated pig thyroid) but I don't know if my doc will prescribe this?

On a more vain note - when this is sorted out should I be able to lose weight as though my thyroid was working well on it's own?? I've been trying to lose weight since the new year and I've only lost 5lbs and those were in the first 3-4 weeks. I've been stuck at 10st 11lb since the end of Jan - it's very upsetting as I'm used to being around 9st 7ish....none of my clothes fit me and I refuse to buy a bigger size and therefore wear the same crap every week

Anyway - I've gone off on a tangent - I'm glad I found this thread!! Good luck to everyone in getting better and keeping well!!

Yvonnex
Good luck with the docs - make sure you ask for FT3 & FT4 (frees) rather than just T3 & T4
Old Mar 6th 2008, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

YvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really nice

Thank you both for your replies!

Mrs J - should I ask for FT3 & 4 as well as T3 & 4?? Or JUST FT3 & 4?

Thanks again,

Yvonnex
Old Mar 6th 2008, 7:32 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you both for your replies!

Mrs J - should I ask for FT3 & 4 as well as T3 & 4?? Or JUST FT3 & 4?

Thanks again,

Yvonnex
Hi Yvonne

Just FT3 & FT4
Old Mar 6th 2008, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi!

I'm so glad I found this thread. I was diagnosed with hyper then it went into hypo a couple of years ago. I'm currently taking 75mcg of Thyroxine.

I went for my medical for Oz in February and when I was weighed I made a comment about it being a nice side effect of having an underactive thyroid. She then took my pulse (which was slow) and asked a few more questions and told me to get back to my doc quicksmart!! I thought what I was feeling was down to doing so much (organising the visa stuff, 2 jobs, a voluntary job, doing up the house etc.) My symptoms include extreme tiredness (so bad I'm falling asleep at my desk and on the bus on a daily basis), weight gain that I just cannot lose, dry hair & skin, feeling down. In hindsight I can't believe I didn't see that it was still my thyroid making me ill.

I have an appointment to get blood taken (I'm going to ask for T3 & T4 as well as TSH) on Friday then a docs appointment the next Friday. I hope I can get the help I need and not be fobbed off. I'm very interested in Armour (dessicated pig thyroid) but I don't know if my doc will prescribe this?

On a more vain note - when this is sorted out should I be able to lose weight as though my thyroid was working well on it's own?? I've been trying to lose weight since the new year and I've only lost 5lbs and those were in the first 3-4 weeks. I've been stuck at 10st 11lb since the end of Jan - it's very upsetting as I'm used to being around 9st 7ish....none of my clothes fit me and I refuse to buy a bigger size and therefore wear the same crap every week

Anyway - I've gone off on a tangent - I'm glad I found this thread!! Good luck to everyone in getting better and keeping well!!

Yvonnex
I have lost over 1 kilo since the middle of last year and seem to have bottomed out at my 'normal' weight again. Still got a bit of a baby belly, but I'm really happy that the weight has gone at long last

Originally Posted by Beccie
Hi Yvonne,

I feel for you I'm in the same boat, lately being more tired and spotty weight gain again ! I spoke to my GP about Amour and he said it has long term side effects and wouldn't recomend it. He also did another blood test checking my anti bodies as well and upped the thyroxin from 150 to 175mcg.

Your GP should listen and treat your symptoms only you know how you feel, hope you feel better soon and good luck.

Beccie
I agree with Beccie, only take the Amour or equivalent if it's really necessary as it does have side effects. For me the they outweigh the bad sides of not taking it (I am on tertroxine)

If you do get prescribed it, then make sure you get regular checkups by your GP