Medical failed, medication too expensive!

Old Aug 13th 2009, 12:51 am
Just Joined

TLCM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical failed, medication too expensive!

Hi
Has anyone else had a similar problem?

My partner has a sponsored 457 visa and i've applied to add me on as his de facto partner However, my case oficer has called to let me know that the Aus government wont pay for my drugs, so unless i can afford them myself my visa is declined and thats the end of that.
I don't work only my partner does, i've worked out the cost to be about $43,000 per year. I can go home every 3-6mths to pick up drugs from the UK, thats not a problem, but my case officer didnt say much when i told him this.

Any ideas what i can do? Ive been in Aus with my partner for 8mths and don't really want to leave him.

Sad & confused
TLCM
Old Aug 13th 2009, 1:05 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Medical failed, medication too expensive!

Originally Posted by TLCM
I don't work only my partner does, i've worked out the cost to be about $43,000 per year.
It looks like it's time to speak with an agent for help. This is not really the sort of thing that you'll be able to get accurate advice on here. If you really want to go then you'll definitely need to speak with an agent. There are a couple on here that a usually recommended for medical issues.

I must say though I'm not surprised that it was refused. I think anythig over $20,000 a year would be a big no-no. The medical is there for a reason and that reason is to ensure that new migrants don't cause a big economic burden to the country.

Are you absolutely certain that you'll be able to continue getting the drugs from the UK if you aren't resident there anymore?

I hate to be a downer, but I think you're fighting a very difficult battler. I do wish the best of luck though.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Hi

My partner has a sponsored 457 visa and i've applied to add me on as his de facto partner However, my case oficer has called to let me know that the Aus government wont pay for my drugs, so unless i can afford them myself my visa is declined and thats the end of that.
I don't work only my partner does, i've worked out the cost to be about $43,000 per year. I can go home every 3-6mths to pick up drugs from the UK, thats not a problem, but my case officer didnt say much when i told him this.

Any ideas what i can do? Ive been in Aus with my partner for 8mths and don't really want to leave him.

Sad & confused
TLCM
If you've resided out of the UK for over a year and not contributed tax & NI you won't be able to use the NHS
Old Aug 13th 2009, 1:22 am
Just Joined

Thank you both for your information.
What difference would an agent make to the outcome?
Who would you recommend?
Thank you again.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 1:27 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you both for your information.
What difference would an agent make to the outcome?
Who would you recommend?
Thank you again.
I would suggest contact one of the two agents in this thread:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=619058
See post number 2 for name and post #3 is George who was one of the agents mentioned.

You ask what difference would it make.... possibly none. But you certainly have nothing to lose at this point. You have no visa and want to get one. Clearly going it on your own has not helped, you will need someone with expertise on medical issues. Frankly, most people on here would go to an agent if they had medical issues like that.

You may or may not be able to appeal the decision (I don't know). Even if you can't an agent would be able to tell you if it's worthwhile applying again.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 1:32 am
Just Joined

Thank you, i best get in contact with one of the agents mentioned.

I really appreciate your help on this.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 1:36 am
Canuck/Aussie

Good luck!
Old Aug 13th 2009, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

mvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry but once you cease to be resident in the UK you are no longer eligible for NHS treatment - why would you expect the UK taxpayer to continue paying for your medication when you don't live there anymore?

And it's not after one year - it's as soon as you cease to be resident. You can get 3/12 supply to take with you and that's it. If you chose to return to the UK every 3/12 to collect medication by pretending to still live there you would be committing fraud (and most GPs would cotton on very quickly).

With regards to your Australian visa - the other thing you both need to consider is that it sounds exceedingly unlikely you would meet the medical criteria to get a permanent visa. So if you're planning to stay in Australia long term you could have major difficulties - if it is even possible. What will you do long term?

Madhu

Hi

Sad & confused
TLCM

Last edited by mvt550; Aug 13th 2009 at 8:36 am.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

hairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nice

Originally Posted by mvt550
Sorry but once you cease to be resident in the UK you are no longer eligible for NHS treatment - why would you expect the UK taxpayer to continue paying for your medication when you don't live there anymore?

And it's not after one year - it's as soon as you cease to be resident. You can get 3/12 supply to take with you and that's it. If you chose to return to the UK every 3/12 to collect medication by pretending to still live there you would be committing fraud (and most GPs would cotton on very quickly).

With regards to your Australian visa - the other thing you both need to consider is that it sounds exceedingly unlikely you would meet the medical criteria to get a permanent visa. So if you're planning to stay in Australia long term you could have major difficulties - if it is even possible. What will you do long term?

Madhu

It makes me angry when i hear things like this, when there are people that move to the UK purely because they can get free NHS treatment. At the end of the day they will always be UK citizens, and more entitled than some...
Old Aug 13th 2009, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hairart
It makes me angry when i hear things like this, when there are people that move to the UK purely because they can get free NHS treatment. At the end of the day they will always be UK citizens, and more entitled than some...
Really? I was quite annoyed at the assumption of somebody who thinks they can move overseas, not contribute to the finances of this country but fly in every three months and pick up prescriptions the hard-working UK taxpayer is paying for.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

hairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Really? I was quite annoyed at the assumption of somebody who thinks they can move overseas, not contribute to the finances of this country but fly in every three months and pick up prescriptions the hard-working UK taxpayer is paying for.
in reality it proberbly wouldn't happen anyway, the cost of a return flight every three months would cost more.
but i was more making a point of those who reside in the UK because of free NHS treatment.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

ronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to all

i was more making a point of those who reside in the UK because of free NHS treatment.

Are Temporary/Permanent residents in the UK eligible for Free NHS services or is it something only meant for citizens?
Old Aug 13th 2009, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronan_in_Oz
Are Temporary/Permanent residents in the UK eligible for Free NHS services or is it something only meant for citizens?
i've never heard of anyone being turned away
Old Aug 13th 2009, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

ronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to all

i've never heard of anyone being turned away

That is sad.

According to Wikipedia:

"A report published in 2007 estimates that the NHS bill for treatment of ‘health tourists’ was £30m, 0.03% of the total cost".
Old Aug 13th 2009, 11:21 am
Just Joined

Thanks to those of you who posted useful comments. It looks like my Australian dreams are over, but thankfully I still have a good job to go back to in the UK...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.