Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Medical conditions: what conditions can cause problems?

Medical conditions: what conditions can cause problems?

Old Sep 18th 2003, 3:32 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Medical conditions: what conditions can cause problems?

I'm in the middle of getting everything together for my de facto residency application to Australia and have a question about the medical section...

I have two conditions which require life-long treatment (asthma and hypothyroidism). Both are well-controlled and neither require any major care other than medication for life and a yearly check-up.

Does anyone know if either of these conditions could have any bearing on my application? I will declare them on form 47SP.

Thanks

Last edited by bundy; Jan 12th 2004 at 10:13 am.
Old Sep 18th 2003, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Hi Harriet

My husband declared his asthma on the form, even though it only affects him for 3 weeks of the year when a certain type of pollen is on the go and he wasnt asked anything about it, sorry cant help with the thyrod thingy but i'd be surprised if it caused a problem, hopefully someone else will be able to help on that.

Most people have found that as long as you have 2 arms and 2 legs (and that may not be compulsory) they dont check out much else at your medical, other than the colour of your money!

Good luck
Lynn
Old Sep 18th 2003, 4:17 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lynnj
Most people have found that as long as you have 2 arms and 2 legs (and that may not be compulsory) they dont check out much else at your medical, other than the colour of your money!
Lynn,

I've been told that having two functioning eyes is equally important. It goes to the cost of supporting a blind person - guide dog, braille equipment, and so on.

Peter
Old Sep 18th 2003, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

God yes i forgot about them, they counted my ears and my boobs too, although god knows why they both need to work (not my ears).

But i still recon that our doc was much more interested in the fact our cheque writing digits were all there!

Lynn
Old Sep 19th 2003, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

Ansy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Concerns about Health conditions

Please view this answer as just an opinion. I believe health conditions like active TB may pause problems, end-stage AIDs etc. I believe that health conditions that would require you to be dependent on public assistance may be of concern because the main aim of selecting immigrants is to select people who will benefit the country more than use its resources, esp. financial resources like public assistance. If your spouse's health conditions are well managed and controlled, I don't believe that it will be of concern. Of course the doctors will determine that by assessing his health conditions, health history and previous hospitalizations

Originally posted by lynnj
Hi Harriet

My husband declared his asthma on the form, even though it only affects him for 3 weeks of the year when a certain type of pollen is on the go and he wasnt asked anything about it, sorry cant help with the thyrod thingy but i'd be surprised if it caused a problem, hopefully someone else will be able to help on that.

Good luck
Lynn
Old Sep 19th 2003, 7:35 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that guys. I didn't think it would be a problem as I live a perfectly normal life and neither of these conditions affect my day-to-day life at all. But I'm obviously right to declare them on the form.

As for legs, arms, eyes, ears and boobs - yep, they're all in fine working order!

BY the way, what's a rough estimate of the cost of the medical and x-ray? I've hear different things...

Thanks again

Harriet
Old Sep 19th 2003, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

Harriet ,i believe it is entirely dependant on which doc you visit ours was unbelievable thorough and was not about to jeopardise his reputation by signing a document that he could not substantiate.
hope all goes well
donna
Old Sep 19th 2003, 11:26 am
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by donna
Harriet ,i believe it is entirely dependant on which doc you visit ours was unbelievable thorough and was not about to jeopardise his reputation by signing a document that he could not substantiate.
hope all goes well
donna
Thanks Donna. I intend to take along a letter from my GP and/or consultant to the medical stating how the conditions are being treated, are well controlled etc and what treatment I'm likely to require in the future (mainly annual check-ups and basic medication). I know my asthma will be fine, I'm just a bit worried about the hypothyroidism because I'm newly diagnosed and still in settling into my medication.

H
Old Sep 19th 2003, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

salonit is on a distinguished road

Asthma and hypothyrodism should pose no problem at all as long as they are well controlled. I am sure the NHS would be happy that you are emigrating
!! as u get free prescriptions!! a lot of asthmatics around - my partner is asthmatic and we got the visa, if that helps...chill out...no probs
Old Sep 19th 2003, 11:49 am
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by salonit
Asthma and hypothyrodism should pose no problem at all as long as they are well controlled. I am sure the NHS would be happy that you are emigrating
!! as u get free prescriptions!! a lot of asthmatics around - my partner is asthmatic and we got the visa, if that helps...chill out...no probs
Thanks for that reassurance. Like you say the NHS will probably be glad to see the back of me!

I'm chilled now.

H
Old Sep 19th 2003, 12:29 pm
Jaj

Default Re: Medical conditions: what conditions can cause problems?

Any kind of HIV/AIDS is pretty much a no-no.
They look at potential health costs over a 3-5 year period, and if
these exceed AUD20k then the application is on its way to a refusal.

In calculating the cost and impact on healthcare resources they don't
just look at hospital and medical costs, but also the costs of certain
community support services, disability pensions and a number of other
factors.

In some visa, the health requirement can be waived, but this is not an
automatic process and professional assistance is required. No health
waiver is available for general skilled applications.

Jeremy

>On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 02:39:51 +0000, Ansy <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Please view this answer as just an opinion. I believe health conditions
    >like active TB may pause problems, end-stage AIDs etc. I believe that
    >health conditions that would require you to be dependent on public
    >assistance may be of concern because the main aim of selecting
    >immigrants is to select people who will benefit the country more than
    >use its resources, esp. financial resources like public assistance. If
    >your spouse's health conditions are well managed and controlled, I don't
    >believe that it will be of concern. Of course the doctors will
    >determine that by assessing his health conditions, health history and
    >previous hospitalizations

This is not intended to be legal advice in any jurisdiction

Old Sep 19th 2003, 12:55 pm
Spocit

> They look at potential health costs over a 3-5 year period, and if
    > these exceed AUD20k then the application is on its way to a refusal.
    > In calculating the cost and impact on healthcare resources they don't
    > just look at hospital and medical costs, but also the costs of certain
    > community support services, disability pensions and a number of other
    > factors.

Do You know how do they count Hepatitis B?

Spocit

Old Sep 19th 2003, 1:23 pm
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by Jaj
Any kind of HIV/AIDS is pretty much a no-no.
They look at potential health costs over a 3-5 year period, and if
these exceed AUD20k then the application is on its way to a refusal.

In calculating the cost and impact on healthcare resources they don't
just look at hospital and medical costs, but also the costs of certain
community support services, disability pensions and a number of other
factors.

In some visa, the health requirement can be waived, but this is not an
automatic process and professional assistance is required. No health
waiver is available for general skilled applications.

Jeremy

>On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 02:39:51 +0000, Ansy <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Please view this answer as just an opinion. I believe health conditions
    >like active TB may pause problems, end-stage AIDs etc. I believe that
    >health conditions that would require you to be dependent on public
    >assistance may be of concern because the main aim of selecting
    >immigrants is to select people who will benefit the country more than
    >use its resources, esp. financial resources like public assistance. If
    >your spouse's health conditions are well managed and controlled, I don't
    >believe that it will be of concern. Of course the doctors will
    >determine that by assessing his health conditions, health history and
    >previous hospitalizations

This is not intended to be legal advice in any jurisdiction
Thanks for that Jeremy - useful to know and this is the first definite, quantative information I've found. I think I'll be fine because my treatment is pretty basic and wouldn't cost anywhere near AUD20k over that time period. Both conditions are pretty common and straightforward.

H
Old Sep 19th 2003, 3:26 pm
Thunder Ace

ptlabs <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Originally posted by lynnj
    >
    > > Most people have found that as long as you have 2 arms and 2 legs (and
    > > that may not be compulsory) they dont check out much else at your
    > > medical, other than the colour of your money!
    >
    > >
    >
    >
    >
    > Lynn,
    >
    >
    >
    > I've been told that having two functioning eyes is equally important. It
    > goes to the cost of supporting a blind person - guide dog, braille
    > equipment, and so on.
    >
This is an absolutely outrageous comment, as was the previous one. No
doubt you will say, "no offence meant mate" but that's hardly an
excuse.

TA
    >
    >
    > Peter

Old Sep 19th 2003, 3:48 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Thunder Ace
    > I've been told that having two functioning eyes is equally important. It
    > goes to the cost of supporting a blind person - guide dog, braille
    > equipment, and so on.
    >
This is an absolutely outrageous comment, as was the previous one. No
doubt you will say, "no offence meant mate" but that's hardly an
excuse.

TA
TA,

I wasn't kidding about blindness being a potential medical problem (goes towards cost) insofar as migration to Australia is concern.

Peter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.