Medical

Old Sep 3rd 2010, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

Drell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really nice
Default Medical

Hi,

I had a few questions about the medical for the visa. We'll be going on my OH's visa but we'll both have to have a medical. I was ill for a while whilst they diagnosed my (non-serious, non-life threatening illness) which is now nothing that worries me and has been all tidied up.

However, due to years of being on and off medication I've put on quite a lot of weight. I have lost about 2 stone in the past 18 months- slowly- but I'll probably still be over-weight when we have the medicals. I have a few discharge letters from my neurologists which I expect will satisfy the drs as well as being able to say I've been making progress whilst loosing weight but I'm worried whether the being over-weight will be such a big issue if I'm clearly doing something about it and there were reasons.

Please post if you have experience of this or anything similar with the medical checks.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

525252 has a spectacular aura about525252 has a spectacular aura about525252 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Medical

Originally Posted by Drell
Hi,

I had a few questions about the medical for the visa. We'll be going on my OH's visa but we'll both have to have a medical. I was ill for a while whilst they diagnosed my (non-serious, non-life threatening illness) which is now nothing that worries me and has been all tidied up.

However, due to years of being on and off medication I've put on quite a lot of weight. I have lost about 2 stone in the past 18 months- slowly- but I'll probably still be over-weight when we have the medicals. I have a few discharge letters from my neurologists which I expect will satisfy the drs as well as being able to say I've been making progress whilst loosing weight but I'm worried whether the being over-weight will be such a big issue if I'm clearly doing something about it and there were reasons.

Please post if you have experience of this or anything similar with the medical checks.
I thought BMI was only an issue for the NZ medicals
never heard that it was also a problem for the Aussie Medicals ?
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Drell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really nice

Originally Posted by 525252
Taken from the Australian information on requirements for perm. visa on the gov.au website:

"Being overweight in itself does not necessarily mean you will not meet the health requirement. If you are assessed as being obese, some exploration of related medical conditions (which can exist or be emerging) will be made. These include diabetes, heart disease (including hypertension) and arthritis. Such conditions may mean that you are assessed as not meeting the health requirement."
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 8:00 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 525252
They don't do a specific bmi thing like they do for NZ. Its more an overall picture.
There have been cases on the BE NZ forum where people get turned down for their bmi and weight, but not on the Aus forum - especially if you have doctor's reports on your condition, and as you can see fromn the info you found on the website it is the whole picture that counts for Australia.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

525252 has a spectacular aura about525252 has a spectacular aura about525252 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Pollyana
They don't do a specific bmi thing like they do for NZ. Its more an overall picture.
There have been cases on the BE NZ forum where people get turned down for their bmi and weight, but not on the Aus forum - especially if you have doctor's reports on your condition, and as you can see fromn the info you found on the website it is the whole picture that counts for Australia.
thanks
means that if you are otherwise healthy than being over-weight is not going to be a problem for Australain Medicals