Marrying my pregnant Aussie Girl ...

Old Aug 14th 2002, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

apple69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Marrying my pregnant Aussie Girl ...

Hi folks... My fiance and I are marrying in England in October. She'll be here in four weeks absolutely five months pregnant!!! What are our chances of returning to Australia on a family immigration thing in maybe a years time after we've saved and saved and saved and loved each other senseless???
Old Aug 15th 2002, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

Moo30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Marrying my pregnant Aussie Girl ...

Hi,

Congrats! As long as she is an Aussie citizen you will be able to apply for a Spouse Visa when you want to return. At present its only taking 4 months or less to process these applications so you could probably wait until you make a firm decision about coming back. Not sure about Child visas but I think there's a couple of options ... I think you can register for Citizenship by Descent after the baby is born, or you can bring back as a Dependant Child. Check out the Australian High Commission website for all the info on Visas and the Processing Times.:

http://www.australia.org.uk/vti/html/

Good luck!
Old Aug 15th 2002, 10:39 am
Jaj

>On Thu, 15 Aug 2002 02:41:09 +0000, Moo30 <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Hi,
    >Congrats! As long as she is an Aussie citizen you will be able to apply for a Spouse
    >Visa when you want to return. At present its only taking 4 months or less to process
    >these applications so you could probably wait until you make a firm decision about
    >coming back. Not sure about Child visas but I think there's a couple of options ...
    >I think you can register for Citizenship by Descent after the baby is born, or you
    >can bring back as a Dependant Child.

Australian citizenship by descent is the way to go, unless he's one of the small
number of Australians who can't register their children this way (those who got Aus
citizenship themselves by descent from a parent and who haven't lived for 2 years in
Australia).

In one of these few cases, the child would be included as a dependent on his
spouse visa.

Jeremy

Old Aug 15th 2002, 12:04 pm
Jaj

Just a quick addition here: Presumably you plan to have the child born in the UK
after you got married. If the child was born *before* you got married, he/she would
not automatically be a British citizen by birth.

The reason for that is that birth in the UK only confers British citizenship
automatically if one parent is a British citizen or settled in the UK (ie a permanent
resident). The definition of 'parent' does not extend to a father who is not marred
to the mother (the current Nationality Bill before the UK Parliament will change
this, but will not be in force until probably late 2002/early 2003, and won't be
retrospective).

However, if the parents marry after the child is born, the child usually acquires
British citizenship automatically, with effect from the date of the parents marriage.
For those children who do not acquire British citizenship automatically via this
route, the Home Office has since early 2000 allowed them to be registered as British
citizens provided that application is made before the child's 18th birthday.

Jeremy

>On Thu, 15 Aug 2002 10:39:40 GMT, [email protected] (JAJ) wrote:
    >>On Thu, 15 Aug 2002 02:41:09 +0000, Moo30 <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>Hi,
    >>Congrats! As long as she is an Aussie citizen you will be able to apply for a
    >>Spouse Visa when you want to return. At present its only taking 4 months or less to
    >>process these applications so you could probably wait until you make a firm
    >>decision about coming back. Not sure about Child visas but I think there's a couple
    >>of options ... I think you can register for Citizenship by Descent after the baby
    >>is born, or you can bring back as a Dependant Child.
    >Australian citizenship by descent is the way to go, unless he's one of the small
    >number of Australians who can't register their children this way (those who got Aus
    >citizenship themselves by descent from a parent and who haven't lived for 2 years in
    >Australia).
    >In one of these few cases, the child would be included as a dependent on his
    >spouse visa.
    >Jeremy