Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Married after getting PR. How to sponsor my wife

Married after getting PR. How to sponsor my wife

Old Sep 24th 2009, 11:47 pm
Banned

Mukesam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Married after getting PR. How to sponsor my wife

Hi,

I got PR in July this year. I got married last month. Now; i need to know how could I sponsor my wife. I have heard of spouse visa. Can some one provide me details of that. I have few questions in my mind that are confusing me; i hope this forum will guide me as always.

1) How can my wife gain her PR with the help of my PR? Can She?
2) If I need to sponsor my wife what is the visa type and what are the requirements?
3) What is the process time and $$$$ for my wife's PR?

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Best of Luck to all in the queue.
Regards,
Old Sep 25th 2009, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

ColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud of
Default Re: Married after getting PR. How to sponsor my wife

Originally Posted by Mukesam
Hi,

I got PR in July this year. I got married last month. Now; i need to know how could I sponsor my wife. I have heard of spouse visa. Can some one provide me details of that. I have few questions in my mind that are confusing me; i hope this forum will guide me as always.

2) If I need to sponsor my wife what is the visa type and what are the requirements?

Regards,
Have you looked at the DIAC website? A spouse visa is a fairly routine visa and information re. the same should not be too hard to find.

Your spouse first gets a spouse visa which, after two years from the date of grant, gets converted to a Permanent Resident visa once DIAC has established that the relationship is still existent.

I'll let some experts chime in on this but that, is the gist of it.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 1:29 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Regards,
You need to look here - http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/fami...as-partner.htm

Read up on Spouse visas in the booklet as well -
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/books1.htm

AS you are a PR you can now theoretically sponsor your wife. She would get a two year temp spouse visa first, then PR after that.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 4:41 am
Account Closed

aman_sharma2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Regards,
I may be on the same boat..but few questions?

1. Did you validate your visa before marrying? I heard from somewhere we need to validate our visa before we could marry?

2. You cannot apply for your wife's visa now. You need to be in AUS at the time of her application as you will need to make sure you will be able to take care of her ...they ask for ur company name and address etc.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 4:42 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You need to look here - http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/fami...as-partner.htm

Read up on Spouse visas in the booklet as well -
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/books1.htm

AS you are a PR you can now theoretically sponsor your wife. She would get a two year temp spouse visa first, then PR after that.
I have one question...if partner gets spouse visa...will she be able to work there?
Old Sep 25th 2009, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

helloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by aman_sharma2k1
I have one question...if partner gets spouse visa...will she be able to work there?
She have the same right as you have no restriction on work
Old Sep 25th 2009, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

supriyag123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by helloshivahere
She have the same right as you have no restriction on work
All rights for spouse visa holder are same as that of a PR, except they dont receive government subsidies in tertiary education.

This is in fact going to be a problem for me, as I am getting married next year and probably I will get my PR before that. My fiancee wants to pursue Ph.D in australia, and I have to see how i can account for that financially..
Old Sep 25th 2009, 11:34 am
Banned

Mukesam is an unknown quantity at this point

I may be on the same boat..but few questions?

1. Did you validate your visa before marrying? I heard from somewhere we need to validate our visa before we could marry?

2. You cannot apply for your wife's visa now. You need to be in AUS at the time of her application as you will need to make sure you will be able to take care of her ...they ask for ur company name and address etc.
Thank You all for the help. I am also looking forward to the above two questions. Can some one confirm what Aman has mentioned above?

Thanks Once again,
Old Sep 25th 2009, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

1. Your visa stamp will have any conditions on it - if it has condition 8515 it will say "The holder of the visa must not marry before entering Australia." By entering Australia it means validating your visa.

2. I don't think that is necessarily the case. Certainly lots of people apply for spouse visas at the Australian High Commission in London.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 2:44 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by louie
1. Your visa stamp will have any conditions on it - if it has condition 8515 it will say "The holder of the visa must not marry before entering Australia." By entering Australia it means validating your visa.

2. I don't think that is necessarily the case. Certainly lots of people apply for spouse visas at the Australian High Commission in London.
Yes..at the time of application spouse will be in native company only...application will be filed with your local Aus High commision only....but the applicant who is going to sponsor the spouse has to be in AUS and has to prove that he can sponsor the other partner and will be able to take care of him/her. In application they ask for your permanent address in Oz with job details etc.

Thanks

aman
Old Sep 25th 2009, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

If you look on this thread (for example post no 4) you will find lots of couples who are both living in the UK applying for spouse visas in London (and probably elsewhere).
Old Sep 25th 2009, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

ronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to all

If you look on this thread (for example post no 4) you will find lots of couples who are both living in the UK applying for spouse visas in London (and probably elsewhere).

Which post in that thread says that?
Old Sep 25th 2009, 6:33 pm
Account Closed

I still think its not possible..the post you mentioned is about couple in which he married to Aus citizen..and they also stayed in Ozz for some time...

Even my agent confirmed that I need to be in Oz before I could apply for spouse visa.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

ronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to all

Spouse visas are applied in London. The Applicant can be anywhere, but the sponser has to prove that he or she is resident in Australia.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 10:21 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ronan_in_Oz
Spouse visas are applied in London. The Applicant can be anywhere, but the sponser has to prove that he or she is resident in Australia.
Spouse visas are applied for in whichever High Commission covers the country of residence of the applicant.

If the applicant lives in the UK, this is London. There is a fair chance the OP and wife aren't resident in the UK, therefore his wife will need to file the visa i n the appropriate High Commission elsewhere.

The sponsor does not have to be resident in Australia. However DIAC may query the strength of the relationship , and intention to live in Australia - more so if the sponsor has not yet moved here.

There are many Spouse Visa holders on here who were gtranted their visa so that the sponsor could return home to Aus with his/her family after many years in the UK. The sponsor does have to undertake to support the spouse for the first two years though, so another thing DIAC may wish to see is the likelihood of the couple getting work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.