British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Marchies 07 - Organising the move!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/marchies-07-organising-move-468826/)

s-jmelbournewannabe Jul 25th 2007 10:17 am

Marchies 07 - Organising the move!!!

Well Marchies,

Have started this thread as there are a few of us now with our visa's and figure would be a good idea to have another thread where we can talk about planning our move to Oz. Just thought it would be a bit more sensitive for the others who hav'nt got there visa's yet.

I was one of the first to get the 136 modl... Got to tell you it was great to get it.. !! Didnt stop celebrating for about a week!

Then the anti climax came, all the family and friends who didnt give a shit when i told them, even though they knew how much hard work i'd put into it, all the hours of research and stopping up till all hours on the lappy... (going on expats):rofl: etc...

had a handful of peeps who were really pleased for us but not as many as i thought initially.. it was a good eye opener!!

Have been planning the move to Oz now for about 7wks now and have booked the flights, we leave LHR on the 25th Nov, 17wks and counting. Have got an overnight stopover in Changhi Airport then back on in the morning, arrive at Bris int on the 27th Nov in the evening..

Have booked a hire care through Europcar at the airport, for 2 days.. drop off at Noosa..

Booked temp accom for 2wks at perigian beach in a lovely 3 bed ground floor apartment.... new with a pool!! (really want to impress Abi our eldest, she'll be nearly 11)

Have got the prospectus for Mt Creek school and am in the process of enrolling her there.. have to sign a stat dec saying moving into the area and all that.. we are now lookin at Buderim or slightly up the hills on the Sunshine Coast...

We have booked Crown Relocations to do removal, we are taking just a few bits and pieces, no big stuff and a motorbike (simons baby)

Been looking at number plates for his bike too, will buy him one for when we get there as a pressie. couldnt afford one here, but so cheap there!

Thinks that's about it for now.. oh, earmarked a website for order of carseats for when we arrive so someone kind may meet us there with them.. (3 of em)

Feel free to join in and talk about your plans...

must admit just posting this has made me feel quite excited cos been going through a bit of homesickness already :unsure: not sure why.... suppose better get it out of the way now... think i will suffer with it quite bad initially, but i know this so will expect it...

anyone else???

S-j xxxxx (here's to more Marchie Visa's!!)

LiverpoolLass Jul 25th 2007 11:42 am

Re: Marchies 07 - Organising the move!!!

Hiya Guys,

We are still in the honeymoon period - got it yesterday but already had a 'frosty' conversation with my mum so beginning to realise what a huge thing this move will be and how our decision will affect our family.

On a lighter note - have booked our flights for 28th Dec - treating ourselves to a couple of nights in Singapore and arrive in Melbourne on New Years Day. What a great start to 2008!!!!!

We are so lucky to have family out there who are helping us out with schools etc. Just coming to terms with the enormity of it all - will prob start the list writing next week when my mind isn't racing.

This thread will be great as we can all learn from each other and I totally agree it's really shit when you are waiting and others have their visa.

Later XXX Janet XXX

chrisandluke Jul 25th 2007 11:43 am

Originally Posted by s-jmelbournewannabe (Post 5103347)
Well Marchies,

Have started this thread as there are a few of us now with our visa's and figure would be a good idea to have another thread where we can talk about planning our move to Oz. Just thought it would be a bit more sensitive for the others who hav'nt got there visa's yet.

I was one of the first to get the 136 modl... Got to tell you it was great to get it.. !! Didnt stop celebrating for about a week!

Then the anti climax came, all the family and friends who didnt give a shit when i told them, even though they knew how much hard work i'd put into it, all the hours of research and stopping up till all hours on the lappy... (going on expats):rofl: etc...

had a handful of peeps who were really pleased for us but not as many as i thought initially.. it was a good eye opener!!

Have been planning the move to Oz now for about 7wks now and have booked the flights, we leave LHR on the 25th Nov, 17wks and counting. Have got an overnight stopover in Changhi Airport then back on in the morning, arrive at Bris int on the 27th Nov in the evening..

Have booked a hire care through Europcar at the airport, for 2 days.. drop off at Noosa..

Booked temp accom for 2wks at perigian beach in a lovely 3 bed ground floor apartment.... new with a pool!! (really want to impress Abi our eldest, she'll be nearly 11)

Have got the prospectus for Mt Creek school and am in the process of enrolling her there.. have to sign a stat dec saying moving into the area and all that.. we are now lookin at Buderim or slightly up the hills on the Sunshine Coast...

We have booked Crown Relocations to do removal, we are taking just a few bits and pieces, no big stuff and a motorbike (simons baby)

Been looking at number plates for his bike too, will buy him one for when we get there as a pressie. couldnt afford one here, but so cheap there!

Thinks that's about it for now.. oh, earmarked a website for order of carseats for when we arrive so someone kind may meet us there with them.. (3 of em)

Feel free to join in and talk about your plans...

must admit just posting this has made me feel quite excited cos been going through a bit of homesickness already :unsure: not sure why.... suppose better get it out of the way now... think i will suffer with it quite bad initially, but i know this so will expect it...

anyone else???

S-j xxxxx (here's to more Marchie Visa's!!)

Noosa is gorgeous. I was there on holiday a few years ago. I remember swimming in the sea at 9am, surrounded by curious (little) fishes, at bathwater temperature, comparing it to what I'd normally doing at 9am at home (battling commuters to get on board a sweaty tube!).
We've booked our flights for August 20th (Qantas from LHR)) .. heading to Adelaide to stay with Luke's parents to get over jetlag and relax, then looking for work in Melbourne in radio. We've got very little organising to do, except jobhunting! It's been only a few days but I've got buckets of butterflies in the stomach! Good luck with your move and I hope it goes smoothly. x

s-jmelbournewannabe Jul 25th 2007 11:54 am

Originally Posted by chrisandluke (Post 5103653)
Noosa is gorgeous. I was there on holiday a few years ago. I remember swimming in the sea at 9am, surrounded by curious (little) fishes, at bathwater temperature, comparing it to what I'd normally doing at 9am at home (battling commuters to get on board a sweaty tube!).
We've booked our flights for August 20th (Qantas from LHR)) .. heading to Adelaide to stay with Luke's parents to get over jetlag and relax, then looking for work in Melbourne in radio. We've got very little organising to do, except jobhunting! It's been only a few days but I've got buckets of butterflies in the stomach! Good luck with your move and I hope it goes smoothly. x

I agree with the butterflies feeling,, just want to got the the loo all the time, especially when i think of the flight with the kids!:rofl:
You better ask moyles for some contacts in Oz.... :D Very interesting for you, hope you strike lucky.. xx

LL, my mum was fab it was the MIL who was a bit 'frosty' not cos she was being nasty, she's just so upset that we are going with the kids, we are taking 4 out of her 5 grandkids, she dosnt see the other one much as her son not with the mum anymore.... very sad for her...

Am in the process of trying to find out more info on Simons licence he needs to work unsupervised in Oz he's a sparky. I'm trying to book dates for him to start the course and do CPR etc, so will save a bit of time and energy once we arrive and he can work sooner and earn more $.

Think we will all have up and down days and will be nice to see how everyone is getting on with it all...

S-j x

somme Jul 25th 2007 11:57 am

I am nervous today, don't know wether to rent our house out or sell it, lovely village, lovely spot beamed light and airy cottage fab, if it didn't work out I would have been sorry to leave here.

Could some one give me some bravery please :(

s-jmelbournewannabe Jul 25th 2007 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by somme (Post 5103693)
I am nervous today, don't know wether to rent our house out or sell it, lovely village, lovely spot beamed light and airy cottage fab, if it didn't work out I would have been sorry to leave here.

Could some one give me some bravery please :(

Come on love, remember why we are doing this...... need to be positive, you are starting a new life in a newish country... what an adventure, wont be perfect, and will be hard for a while..

Once you get stuck in and get motivated you'll be fine and why start the journey with the wrong vibe... 'if it dosnt work out, we can come back' ....

Your cash will be there if you need it too, then not twoing and froing from Oz to UK to sort out house, waste of money if you ask me.... just do what you think is right....

You need to look into the tax implications of it too... i swear you have to pay tax on any profit gained from arrival in OZ.... Do a search and have a look....

We sold and feels good to be free and no commitments for a change. will invest in something when we arrive in Oz...

S-j xxx (good luck with what you decide)

s-jmelbournewannabe Jul 25th 2007 12:16 pm

Somme,

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=468526

Have a look at this, might help you make up your mind.

S-j x

somme Jul 25th 2007 12:26 pm

Thanks SJ, just not getting very good vibes from any one around me. Don't know if they are jealous, we have really wanted this for such a long time and no one really wants to share in our joy and I think it is getting me down.

Sure I will feel better next week when I am not working and trying to do everything, working from home is a nightmare when all I want to do is get moving.

Thanks for the encouragement and courage

s-jmelbournewannabe Jul 25th 2007 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by somme (Post 5103780)
Thanks SJ, just not getting very good vibes from any one around me. Don't know if they are jealous, we have really wanted this for such a long time and no one really wants to share in our joy and I think it is getting me down.

Sure I will feel better next week when I am not working and trying to do everything, working from home is a nightmare when all I want to do is get moving.

Thanks for the encouragement and courage

Just remember your dreams and get on with it, shove everyone else, they just wish they had the balls to do something about theirs!!!

brissie-here-we-come Jul 25th 2007 1:12 pm

Where do i start, as you all know we dont yet have visa,but we are hopefully going aroung end aug/begining sept

we have had an offer on our house £950 under asking price ,and first veiwers,and we have today just had their mortgage suveyers round and it went well, our solicitor reckons we should be completeing with 4/6weeks and could be sooner as our buyers work for a solicitors so he will be keen to move it forward quickly,good news for us.

will just have to sort out shipping when we have exchanged contracts,not risking anything,but what we are shipping we can do without for a couple of months, :unsure:, are thinking of getting my 9year old daughter a double bed out there ( she needs a new bed ) so 9 and 3 year old can share til 3 year old daughters bed arrives

we are due to be staying with my sis for a few weeks in thornlands,brisbane area,so dont need to sort out rental til we get there.

been told we can go and see headteacher for an informal chat and apply to get our soon to be 9 year old in school possibly around 1/2 weeks after we get there.

bank accounts and medicare we will be doing when we get out there,apparently dont take more than 20 minutes to sort out each,and also driving licence nice and simple swop over,as in qld you just swop uk one for aus one.no tests needed.

think thats about all apart from flights,

anything else i think of , will let you all know

kels x

bundybell Jul 25th 2007 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by brissie-here-we-come (Post 5103978)
Where do i start, as you all know we dont yet have visa,but we are hopefully going aroung end aug/begining sept

we have had an offer on our house £950 under asking price ,and first veiwers,and we have today just had their mortgage suveyers round and it went well, our solicitor reckons we should be completeing with 4/6weeks and could be sooner as our buyers work for a solicitors so he will be keen to move it forward quickly,good news for us.

will just have to sort out shipping when we have exchanged contracts,not risking anything,but what we are shipping we can do without for a couple of months, :unsure:, are thinking of getting my 9year old daughter a double bed out there ( she needs a new bed ) so 9 and 3 year old can share til 3 year old daughters bed arrives

we are due to be staying with my sis for a few weeks in thornlands,brisbane area,so dont need to sort out rental til we get there.

been told we can go and see headteacher for an informal chat and apply to get our soon to be 9 year old in school possibly around 1/2 weeks after we get there.

bank accounts and medicare we will be doing when we get out there,apparently dont take more than 20 minutes to sort out each,and also driving licence nice and simple swop over,as in qld you just swop uk one for aus one.no tests needed.

think thats about all apart from flights,

anything else i think of , will let you all know

kels x

Are you sure you dont have to take a test in Qld. We are moving there and during our reci visit in Feb was told UK license valid for 3 months. we visited the driving center in Bundaberg and was told you have to take a theory test From what i understand there is no need to make an appointment you just turn. Its a multiple choice theory test a bit like the Uk's.
We purchased a revision book for $10 while there.

Love the thread cant wait to join it still no visa!!
Teryna

brissie-here-we-come Jul 25th 2007 5:15 pm

ABSOLUTLY !! MY SIS MOVED THERE LAST MAY ,TOOK THE TEST AND GOT HER MONEY REFUNDED AND HER OH AS THEY SHOULDNT HAVE TAKEN THE THEORY TEST AS IT HAD BEEN ABOLISHED IN THE MARCH 06, SO YES YOUR FINE SHE SAID ALL YOU DO IS GO IN AND EXCHANGE YOUR UK LICENCE AND IT'S DONE NO TEST :D

KELS X

bundybell Jul 25th 2007 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by brissie-here-we-come (Post 5104684)
ABSOLUTLY !! MY SIS MOVED THERE LAST MAY ,TOOK THE TEST AND GOT HER MONEY REFUNDED AND HER OH AS THEY SHOULDNT HAVE TAKEN THE THEORY TEST AS IT HAD BEEN ABOLISHED IN THE MARCH 06, SO YES YOUR FINE SHE SAID ALL YOU DO IS GO IN AND EXCHANGE YOUR UK LICENCE AND IT'S DONE NO TEST :D

KELS X

Thanks for this,
we wasted $10 !!good to know though.
Is it the same for bike licenses do you know.
Teryna

LisaD_uk Jul 25th 2007 5:56 pm

I don't know were to start really so i suppose the beginning would be good. We started with the idea of moving to Oz about 3 years ago and went on holiday 2 1/2 years ago and fell in love with Sydney. We contacted an agent in Oct 05 and started the ball rolling. We finally put in our application in Feb07 and are the proud owners of a 136. I must admit it does feel really good to have the Visa in your passport but i still feel in limbo as house not sold yet so no flights booked and we want to go in September so i am very frustrated.
BE has been a god send to me and I have been given some great advice and met some fab people who I really hope to stay in contact with.
I really want to get things moving along a bit faster but I can't do anything until the house is sold.
On a good note my Mum has decided that she would like to spend some more time with me and kids so we could be of to Spain or Greece for a week if I can find a late deal, will take my mind of everything.

The Moore Family Jul 25th 2007 7:30 pm

Hi S-j

Haven't spoken for a while, didn't realise you were heading for Noosa, we are going to be heading out there in 3 weeks and i'm absolutely cr***ing myself, really can't wait to get there but not looking forward to the goodbyes!!
We are staying in a holiday complex called Woolgarin in Noosaville for 3 weeks in which time we are hoping to find a rental. I haven't looked at schools yet, thought i would do that when we get there, but do like the look of Sunshine Beach Primary.

Maybe we can meet up when you get there,(should have hopefully settled in by then!!) and have a few tinnies lol

Anyway have to go and carry on packing and putting stuff on Ebay.

Speak to you soon

Love Nicky xx:thumbsup: