Loss Of Australian Citizenship

Old Feb 15th 2023, 6:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat143 scrubbedexpat143 scrubbedexpat143 scrubbedexpat143 scrubbedexpat143 scrubbedexpat143 scrubbedexpat143 scrubbedexpat143 scrubbedexpat143 scrubbedexpat143 scrubbedexpat143
Default Re: Loss Of Australian Citizenship

The latest on this saga -

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-...n-17/101972096

So yes, good news. Otherwise, I hadn't intended to start a war of words over all this, so I'll say only this...

Last edited by scrubbedexpat143; Feb 15th 2023 at 6:54 am.
Old Feb 15th 2023, 9:37 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JDWoowoo50
Many excellent points made here since my last post. I have learned a lot. Many thanks, everyone.

I agree with the comment that the easiest (and likely the best) option for the OP is to reapply for his citizenship. Unless of course he has other motives (which may well be entirely "legit") to hold on to his Irish citizenship and passport for now. We don't know what his exact situation is here now, so anything more we write will be entirely conjecture.

He can keep his Irish citizenship anyway. The law was changed back in 2002.
Old Mar 6th 2023, 8:18 am
JMU
Just Joined

JMU is an unknown quantity at this point

My situation is somewhat of an aside, but it may be relevant to some.

I lived in Australia as a permanent resident until 1980 when I signed on the dotted line and became a citizen. Even then I opted to hang on to my (dual nationality) Canadian passport as back then I made regular trips home to see family. I did query the good people at Immigration about this and they said no worries, just go. However, I did need a re-entry visa to come back, which was always granted and stamped in my passport in 1-2 days.

In 1993 or 1995 I was at Immigration for a re-entry visa when someone advised me I should get an Australian passport. They explained this would save me no end of hassles on returning as some Immigration staff at airports could be "toey" about arrivals flashing foreign passports and there could be questions asked and delays expected before I was let in.

I saw the writing on the wall and went for the Australian passport. I now no longer hold a Canadian passport as I've not been back for many years, however Ottawa it seems now requires me to get a Canadian passport to be let into the country of my birth and where I still hold citizenship. Consular staff in Canberra admitted that yes, this looked and smelled like a cash-grab and a bureaucratic complication.

I specifically asked if I would be allowed into Canada if I turned up at the border, say from the USA after having been admitted there, with an Australian passport. They said the "fact" that I was born in Canada basically had no relevance and the new rule was you want to go to Canada, you get a Canadian passport. As well, whichever passport I flashed at the time of arrival at the border, the final decision as to yay or nay would be entirely at the discretion of the Immigration official I was talking to at the time and place.

The price of the Canuck passport was also high and I opted not to get it. As I've not been back to Canada since, this hasn't been a problem.

SO and I are now thinking of making an extended visit to Canada in 2024. Given my age, this would probably be my last time to see my native shores.

I expect to be contacting the Canadian Consulate in Canberra again about this, and the merry-go-round may start spinning all over again. Such is life.
Most countries require citizens to enter/depart their countries on the passports they issue, which is why I had to apply for an Australian passport after becoming an Australian citizen. But Canada is a little bit different. The CBSA officer must let you in if you can make your way to any port of entry along the US-Canada border and prove your identity as a Canadian citizen. Not sure if they will give you a ticket for not using a Canadian passport. But they must let you enter.

I do not want or need two passports. I live in Australia and an Australian passport serves me best. The point I made (you seem to have missed or overlooked this) was I now need a Canadian passport to return to my original home country, and if I get one,I may put my Australian citizenship at risk. I've been aware of this since the 1990s when Immigration Australia made me aware of their requirement that as a citizen of this country, I should ideally travel on their passport. Which I do.

Both AU and CA allow their citizens to hold dual citizenship, so your Australian passport will not be at risk simply because you have applied for a Canadian passport. In fact the Australian immigration department would have requested you to relinquish your Canadian citizenship if they had had a problem with it.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 6th 2023 at 9:09 am.
Old Feb 2nd 2024, 12:53 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

How do they apply this law to someone who was born in the UK as an Australian citizen by descent, but before the 1983 cut-off meaning that they are automatically UK citizens (and can literally fill out a successful passport application at any point in their life)?
Old Feb 2nd 2024, 3:35 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
How do they apply this law to someone who was born in the UK as an Australian citizen by descent, but before the 1983 cut-off meaning that they are automatically UK citizens (and can literally fill out a successful passport application at any point in their life)?
It doesn’t apply in cases when the other citizenship is an automatic action of law.
Old Feb 2nd 2024, 11:30 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks, makes sense I guess since the person didn't actually have to carry out any actions on their behalf to become a citizen.
Old Feb 2nd 2024, 11:39 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
Many thanks, makes sense I guess since the person didn't actually have to carry out any actions on their behalf to become a citizen.
Precisely. Only an “voluntary and formal act other than marriage” whilst being “of full age and capacity” would result in the loss of your Australian citizenship as per the Nationality and Citizenship Act 1948.