Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Looking for a Refrigeration & Air/Conditioning Employer.

Looking for a Refrigeration & Air/Conditioning Employer.

Old Jun 5th 2007, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

Wattie is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Looking for a Refrigeration & Air/Conditioning Employer.

Hi all
just started the immigration process with an agent.

Could any one tell me what is the best visa to apply for i am hoping to get
a 136 skilled visa which will allow me to go to any where in Australia.
Or would i be better to try and get a sponsor.

I would also like to try and find a sponsor in the Refrigeration &
air/conditioning Industry.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 11:05 am
The Master of Disaster

iceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really nice
Default Re: Looking for a Refrigeration & Air/Conditioning Employer.

Originally Posted by Wattie
Hi all

Send me a PM and let me know where you are heading and I can put you in touch with some people. I'm in the job myself.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

leechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud of

Hi all

My husband is ref/aircon mechanic. We came across on a 136 skilled independent. If you come with sponsor, you are required to work for them for two years. If you don't like the job you are stuck. We are in Perth and there are loads of jobs advertised. My husband was offered 5 jobs, within the space of one week. Don't worry about finding work when you get here. Just make sure you keep a copy of everything you send for you TRA as you have to do the whole thing again when you get here. This can take 4 weeks to get back and then you have to apply for ARTC. Potential employers won't employ you till you get these, so make sure you have enough money to survive for at least 6 weeks. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Nicky x
Old Jun 6th 2007, 11:10 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Hi Wattie,

I have a business client who might be interested - send me your CV if you like and I'll forward it to him.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Jun 6th 2007, 2:19 pm
Flown

FlyingPicketts is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by iceman
Send me a PM and let me know where you are heading and I can put you in touch with some people. I'm in the job myself.
Hello iceman, I'm a fridge engineer hoping to go Brisbane area. Is that where you are?
Old Jun 6th 2007, 9:52 pm
The Master of Disaster

iceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really nice

Originally Posted by FlyingPicketts
Hello iceman, I'm a fridge engineer hoping to go Brisbane area. Is that where you are?

I got a job easily. I had I think 15 interviews and got 12 offers of employment. It depends though on what your experience is in, as there are opportunities in different areas. On the Sunshine Coast, alot of the work will be smaller splits and domestic installs. Most of the commercial work is Brisbane and the Gold Coast. My job is as an idustrial refrigeration supervisor, so I couldn't cope with putting splits in all day. If you PM me your details, I'll give you some contacts. I would not bother trying to get sponsored because of what has already been said, but most companies will not want to when they find out what is involved as they have to meet certain criteria as follows.

The employer should be well established and have half a dozen employees
The employer must be prepared to pay a minimum salary of $41,500 plus 9% pension contribution for a 37 hour week for at least 1 year.
The employer must be prepared to provide the department of immigration with their financial accounts for the last two years
The employer must be prepared to provide the department with a proposed training plan for new employees
The employer must be prepared to pay your flights to return to the UK if you choose to leave
The employer must be prepared to take you on without the required licensing (Refrigerants & restricted electrical, which means that you would have to work under supervision)

You would need to apply for the ARTC once there. The ARTC is needed to get the licences. You will need a refrigerant licence (known as ARCTick) and a restricted electrical licence. You cannot touch even a transformer, change a compressor etc without it, as you need to complete a COC form when you do each job. Also you may need a blue card which is like the CSCS card and very easy to get (you can do this online). My advice would be to get the TRA in first if you haven't already(you will need minimum 7 years experience) If you lodge it after 1st July then you will also have to have a workplace assessment in the UK or so I believe, as they are changing the assessment criteria. Once you have this apply for the visa and go from there. You can apply for the ARTC from the UK as long as you have an Australian address to have it sent to. However the ARTC assessment is more in depth as it goes to a local trades committee.

Plenty to think about but you will wonder what all the fuss was about once it's over.

Good Luck
Old Jun 7th 2007, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by leechy100
My husband is ref/aircon mechanic. We came across on a 136 skilled independent. If you come with sponsor, you are required to work for them for two years. If you don't like the job you are stuck. We are in Perth and there are loads of jobs advertised. My husband was offered 5 jobs, within the space of one week. Don't worry about finding work when you get here. Just make sure you keep a copy of everything you send for you TRA as you have to do the whole thing again when you get here. This can take 4 weeks to get back and then you have to apply for ARTC. Potential employers won't employ you till you get these, so make sure you have enough money to survive for at least 6 weeks. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Nicky x
Thank you for the information Nicky.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Hi Wattie,

I have a business client who might be interested - send me your CV if you like and I'll forward it to him.

Cheers,

George Lombard
TThank you George i will send a CV as soon as i can complete an up to date copy.
The type of refrigeration equipment i work on is mainly commercial to industrial using DX gases.