Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Looking for advice in planning a permanent move to Aus

Looking for advice in planning a permanent move to Aus

Old Jan 2nd 2014, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

jimtimber2014 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for advice in planning a permanent move to Aus

Hi,

Me and my long term partner have been considering a long term move to Australia from the UK for several years and, having recently holiday'd in Melbourne, we're absolutely certain we want to do so as we loved the people, the weather and the country as a whole. I've been on many websites and I'm finding it confusing as to how to devise our plan of action.

About us: I am 32, work as a business analyst for a global business consultancy and have done for about 6 years. My partner, 25, works in admin for a finance company. We both have bachelors degrees in our subject area and I am working on an international qualification in business analysis at the moment.

The problems I have are the following:

- my colleague said because I am 32 I am too old to move to Australia.
- I am not sure if I need to have found a job In Australia before trying to move there or would search when I get there.
- if I do need a job beforehand, I'm not sure of the best places to search for one, specifically taking an expat on.

I'm aware this will be a long process but we've thought about it long and hard and really want to make this happen. Any advice would be really welcome.

Thanks,

Jim.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 6:02 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for advice in planning a permanent move to Aus

Originally Posted by jimtimber2014
Hi,

Me and my long term partner have been considering a long term move to Australia from the UK for several years and, having recently holiday'd in Melbourne, we're absolutely certain we want to do so as we loved the people, the weather and the country as a whole. I've been on many websites and I'm finding it confusing as to how to devise our plan of action.

About us: I am 32, work as a business analyst for a global business consultancy and have done for about 6 years. My partner, 25, works in admin for a finance company. We both have bachelors degrees in our subject area and I am working on an international qualification in business analysis at the moment.

- I am not sure if I need to have found a job In Australia before trying to move there or would search when I get there.
- if I do need a job beforehand, I'm not sure of the best places to search for one, specifically taking an expat on.

I'm aware this will be a long process but we've thought about it long and hard and really want to make this happen. Any advice would be really welcome.

Thanks,

Jim.
Hi Jim and welcome to BE

Have a look at the BE guide to skilled migration - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/A_Roug...lled_Migration - which explains all the steps to skilled migration.

Your colleague is thinking of a working holiday visa I think, which can only be used up to the age of 31. You don't have to have a job to make the move - some do but certainly not everyone. Depending on your job, and state, you may need to do additional training, registration, etc to be able to work in Australia but first step would be to see if you have a skill in demand. Check out the CSOL for this - http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...n/pdf/csol.pdf

If you have questions about the process, ask away
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 6:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks,

Jim.
I made my permanent move when I was 40, so no you are definitely not too old. As old.sparkles has said though, your colleague is obviously thinking of the working holiday visa, which is temporary anyway and not what you are looking for.

Finding a job is not your next step, you should be looking into whether your occupations are ones that would qualify you for a visa. Your OH would not get a visa in finance admin (unless her degree is accountancy?). You would need to check the skills list to see if there is an occupation that you might slot into as a first step.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

Thanks old.sparkles and BermudaShorts I could fit into 2 of the analyst positions on the list or the management consultant position (I believe) as I have several years experience in each at decent enough companies. I'd working as a business analyst in a management consultancy at present so should be a good fit.

As for my OH (I like this acronym ) she could fit into a project/programme administrator as her job does fit into that category. She was in the belief that as she was under 30 she could come for a year eitherway (we've read a lot of info on this and there's a lot of conflicting advice out there!)

Where did you guys move to btw?

Thanks again!

J.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

(just saw where you both are...I am so jealous!)
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks old.sparkles and BermudaShorts I could fit into 2 of the analyst positions on the list or the management consultant position (I believe) as I have several years experience in each at decent enough companies. I'd working as a business analyst in a management consultancy at present so should be a good fit.

As for my OH (I like this acronym ) she could fit into a project/programme administrator as her job does fit into that category. She was in the belief that as she was under 30 she could come for a year eitherway (we've read a lot of info on this and there's a lot of conflicting advice out there!)

Thanks again!

J.
After you have identified an occupation, you then need to see if you can pass a skills assessment for that occupation. Most occupations need both the qualifications and the work experience, not all but as a rule of thumb. Some occupations need sponsorship as wel, which occupation codes are you thinking of, could you provide the name and code number?

Well your OH could go on a working holiday visa, but it would only be for a year and wouldn't help you, so not really sure where she is coming from on that one.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

You don't both need to be on the list. Only one of you has to qualify for the visa and the other is granted their own as your partner.

Thanks again!

J.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 7:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
After you have identified an occupation, you then need to see if you can pass a skills assessment for that occupation. Most occupations need both the qualifications and the work experience, not all but as a rule of thumb. Some occupations need sponsorship as wel, which occupation codes are you thinking of, could you provide the name and code number?

Well your OH could go on a working holiday visa, but it would only be for a year and wouldn't help you, so not really sure where she is coming from on that one.
BermudaShorts, I could fit into either:

Market Research Analyst (225112)
or
Management Consultant (224711)

VeryStormy, do I need to be married to my partner? We've been together for 5 years, I am close to proposing

Thanks again!
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BermudaShorts, I could fit into either:

Market Research Analyst (225112)
or
Management Consultant (224711)

VeryStormy, do I need to be married to my partner? We've been together for 5 years, I am close to proposing

Thanks again!
OK, those occupations are only on the CSOL, which means you can only apply for skilled migration with state sponsorship. I have just looked at the lists and it was on South Australia but with "special conditions" which appear to mean you need to have studied there so I guess that is ruled out. One of them was also on ACT list but with limited availability at the moment.

These are not occupations that I have regularly seen on the state sponsorship lists, so there would be a lot of chance involved in this process for you. You would need to get the skills assessment done and then when you are ready hope to secure state sponsorship, otherwise you cannot go any further.

Any chance of a transfer with your employer?
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 9:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
OK, those occupations are only on the CSOL, which means you can only apply for skilled migration with state sponsorship. I have just looked at the lists and it was on South Australia but with "special conditions" which appear to mean you need to have studied there so I guess that is ruled out. One of them was also on ACT list but with limited availability at the moment.

These are not occupations that I have regularly seen on the state sponsorship lists, so there would be a lot of chance involved in this process for you. You would need to get the skills assessment done and then when you are ready hope to secure state sponsorship, otherwise you cannot go any further.

Any chance of a transfer with your employer?
My employer does have offices in Sydney for a couple of its businesses but it is very rare jobs become available with them. Its a shame it's going to be so difficult to move over but I want it so I will make it happen somehow! I studied in UK so the education route is a no go.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 9:16 am
Just Joined

Also, they have offices in Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth but again they hire very rarely, its a good company to work for and few people leave!
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 9:38 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Also, they have offices in Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth but again they hire very rarely, its a good company to work for and few people leave!
What about your OH's skills - as already mentioned, only one of you needs a skill on the list and the other is included as partner
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 10:01 am
Just Joined

The OH works as an administrator for a bank, working in their projects team, so technically a project administrator. She's only got a years experience so far as is a recent uni graduate so if we were to go that route we'd have to get her experience levels up. How often does the Aus government update its lists of professions please?
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 10:02 am

The OH works as an administrator for a bank, working in their projects team, so technically a project administrator. She's only got a years experience so far as is a recent uni graduate so if we were to go that route we'd have to get her experience levels up. How often does the Aus government update its lists of professions please?
I think it's every July
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 7:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think there will always be a risk with your occupations, they are not ones that are routinely on the sponsorship lists. If you are serious and potentially prepared to invest some time and money on the understanding it might not go anywhere, then I would recommend that you get your skills assessment sorted, apply for ACT and watch the other lists and then be ready to apply if it ever comes back on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.