Dear all:

In order to gain some weeks in the time of processing, and to stop
some conditions running until the application is lodged, I am planning
to do the following:

1st - To send my application, claiming the 20 points by competent
English (that now I need to reach 115), but without sending the IELTS
results.

2nd - Some weeks after, to take the IELTS test, and to send the
results (if they are OK, if not I have to try again)

I know that assessing is never redone. But I am assuming that the
assessing process will be waiting, and it only will start when the
IELTS results arrived to DIMIA.

- Is this hypothesis valid?
- Would I lose my application if I fail in the IELTS, and I must wait
3 months to try it again?
- Do you detect additional risks in this plan?

Thanks!

GDC

Old Mar 18th 2003, 8:15 am
Konstantin Tsolov

Default Re: Lodged vs Assessed

Hi GDC,

GDC wrote:
    > Dear all:
    >
    > In order to gain some weeks in the time of processing, and to stop
    > some conditions running until the application is lodged, I am planning
    > to do the following:
    >
    > 1st - To send my application, claiming the 20 points by competent
    > English (that now I need to reach 115), but without sending the IELTS
    > results.

IIRC, There is a specific requirement in the booklet that you do send
your IELTS result with the application.

>
    > 2nd - Some weeks after, to take the IELTS test, and to send the
    > results (if they are OK, if not I have to try again)

There is a "dry" period for IELTS You cannot retake the
test within 3 months (as you already know).

> I know that assessing is never redone. But I am assuming that the
    > assessing process will be waiting, and it only will start when the
    > IELTS results arrived to DIMIA.
    >
    > - Is this hypothesis valid?
    > - Would I lose my application if I fail in the IELTS, and I must wait
    > 3 months to try it again?
    > - Do you detect additional risks in this plan?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > GDC

You have to have a proof of English language ability at time of
lodgement in order to not get your app returned I believe...
any one else?

Overall - pretty risky plan.

--kosio

Old Mar 18th 2003, 8:55 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

> Originally posted by Konstantin Tsolov
> > 1st - To send my application, claiming the 20 points by competent
> > English (that now I need to reach 115), but without sending the IELTS
> > results.
>
> IIRC, There is a specific requirement in the booklet that you do send
> your IELTS result with the application.

Yes, applicants are advised to send in their supporting documents (including IELTS scores where applicable) all at one go. This serves to minimize delays in one's application processing. However, it is not an absolute must that one submits his/her IELTS score at the time of lodgement. More often than not, DIMIA will request for the applicant to submit his/her IELTS score if insufficient evidence of English proficiency is available to the case officer.

> > I know that assessing is never redone. But I am assuming that the
> > assessing process will be waiting, and it only will start when the
> > IELTS results arrived to DIMIA.

Actually, your application is acknowledged, then put in cold storage effectively until your case officer is assigned and he/she is ready to look at your file. That's when your application is assessed.

> > - Would I lose my application if I fail in the IELTS, and I must wait
> > 3 months to try it again?

Your timing may be screwed up by a request for DIMIA for your IELTS score (which usually must be complied with within 49 days) and you realize that you don't have enough time to re-sit your IELTS should you have failed to score appropriately earlier on.

> > - Do you detect additional risks in this plan?
> You have to have a proof of English language ability at time of lodgement
> in order to not get your app returned I believe...

Actually, you only need to have a valid skills assessment when you lodge your skilled visa application. Everything else can come later, although it is inadvisable for anyone to try this stunt.

> Overall - pretty risky plan.

Quite right. Usually, it's better for the applicant to have everything in order - especially exam/results oriented documents. If you time your IELTS wrongly, you might end up with a below functional score (if you get unlucky!) and with not enough time to re-take and submit to DIMIA.

Peter
Old Mar 18th 2003, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

EMDEE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Am I assessed or not ?

Peter and all other helpful people out there,

Sent in my application to DIMIA in early October 2002.
On March 12, 2003, MODL changed and I lost 5 points and now I do not have 115.

My question is: what are the chances of my being assessed already ? I know Steven suggested that I wait for 4 weeks to see if they send me a request for medicals (which will prove that I was indeed assessed as per the old MODL)....

It is getting very stressful for me !!

Why can't DIMIA simply inform the applicant of "case officer assigned", "assessed" etc. thru a web site that we applicants can access using our DIMIA file/acknowledgement number?

Obviously, DIMIA needs IT Managers to sort out this out for them but they decided that they don't need IT Managers any more !!!

Depressed
EMDEE
Old Mar 18th 2003, 10:59 pm
Gdc

Peter, Konstantin:
Ok, you convinced me.
I will wait the IELTS results, and then I will apply.

Thank you !

Old Mar 18th 2003, 11:14 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I assessed or not ?

Originally posted by EMDEE
My question is: what are the chances of my being assessed already ? I know Steven suggested that I wait for 4 weeks to see if they send me a request for medicals (which will prove that I was indeed assessed as per the old MODL)....
Emdee,

IMHO, in all likelyhood, your application will not be fast-forwarded to the assessment stage so rapidly. With Oct 2002 as your lodgement date, you've hardly put in a few months' wait and I reckon your application is way down the queue (DIMIA/ASPC is only nibbling at the April/May/June 2002 applications now).

According to the migration regulations, MODL points are awarded based on the MODL at the time your application is assessed. I know some have questioned whether the MODL points are actually awarded at the time your application is lodged (like all the other points involved in your application), contrary to the written regulations, but what's in black and white clearly explains it all. So, I would think your 5 points has really gone down the drain.

Have you any other avenue to 'reclaim' the 5 points? Community language (I know it's tough), spouse points (if you're married to a partner who meets the basic requirements) or investment points (A$100,000) perhaps?

On a related note, I won't be surprised to see more pruning of the IT occupations on the MODL. The IT situation worldwide isn't looking any brigther now than it was a few months ago...

Peter
Old Mar 19th 2003, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

saturn is an unknown quantity at this point

ptlabs,

you mentioned that:

"Actually, you only need to have a valid skills assessment when you lodge your skilled visa application. Everything else can come later, although it is inadvisable for anyone to try this stunt"

Can one do in order to be a bit safer something like:

Claim community lang. points (if your mother tongue is there in the list) while lodging the applicataion. Now if during the assessment something unexpected happens e.g, your profession is dropped from MODL and you are left with only 110 points you will still be sure that DIMIA will ask you to produce NAATI test certificate and that you still stand a chance if you pass the test and send them the result
Old Mar 19th 2003, 10:07 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

Bear in mind that you will normally have 49 days to react to any instruction by DIMIA for supporting documents (in this case, your NAATI Level 3 exam results).

While what you're proposing isn't invalid, I'm quite certain it's next to impossible to register for, then sit for the NAATI Level 3 test and to get the result back from NAATI and then to send it off to DIMIA all within 49 days. Give the logistics of your proposal some thought and you'll realize you're playing with fire here.

If you intend to claim NAATI points, go sit for the test (and mind you, it's not a simple one). Don't leave it till DIMIA instructs you for proof before you register for the test - it may well be too late by then.

Peter

Originally posted by saturn
ptlabs,

you mentioned that:

"Actually, you only need to have a valid skills assessment when you lodge your skilled visa application. Everything else can come later, although it is inadvisable for anyone to try this stunt"

Can one do in order to be a bit safer something like:

Claim community lang. points (if your mother tongue is there in the list) while lodging the applicataion. Now if during the assessment something unexpected happens e.g, your profession is dropped from MODL and you are left with only 110 points you will still be sure that DIMIA will ask you to produce NAATI test certificate and that you still stand a chance if you pass the test and send them the result
Old Mar 20th 2003, 8:16 am
Jaj

The NAATI test is expensive as well as difficult.
Jeremy

>On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 23:07:39 +0000, ptlabs wrote:

>If you intend to claim NAATI points, go sit for the test (and mind
    >you, it's not a simple one). Don't leave it till DIMIA instructs
    >you for proof before you register for the test - it may well be too
    >late by then.
    >Peter

This is not intended to be legal advice in any jurisdiction