Let Jag...zzz sorry Jet Lag

Old Sep 20th 2002, 4:17 am
Forum Regular

bleggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Let Jag...zzz sorry Jet Lag

Heading to Adelaide for a week or so in October, mainly pelasure but also a bit of a reccie in relation to the 457IE application. Our last trip was for 5 weeks and on our return, not so much on the way out, the jet lag was debilitating for about a week. Does anybody have any practical suggestions as how to minimise the affects particularly as the stay will be fairly short and I don't want to miss a minute of it. Also on my return I need to get back working asap as I am self employed. The flight is direct with just a couple of short transit stops for a few hours. Flight time around 30 hours.

Many thanks, any practical suggestions no matter how simple would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Blegster
Old Sep 20th 2002, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Let Jag...zzz sorry Jet Lag

Sorry, not that familiar with it. I did of course mean pleasure.
Old Sep 20th 2002, 4:24 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by bleggy:
Sorry, not that familiar with it. I did of course mean pleasure.
Its tough. I've had to fly quite a lot over the past few years with work and have done the UK/Oz flight about 6 times. For me I have to go for a long long swim when I arrive to loosen muscles and clear the brain, then stay up as late as possible on the first night. Second night I go out and get bladdered so that alcohol induced slumber follows. Hangover tempered with a bit more alcohol generally kicks in for a normal nights sleep on night 3 and from then on I'm into the pattern. Works for me.
Old Sep 20th 2002, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

stay or go ? is an unknown quantity at this point

'bout the same. Work out your arrival time (local), and work backwards to see when you "should" sleep. i always did that, but started the alcohol "therapy" at the departure lounge.

get blasted on the plane (doesnt take much, lower ambient pressure etc etc) - helps the sleep come. and make sure you have loads to do the moment you arrive. Having a comfy hotel room beckoning you is a sure way to "close your eyes for five minutes" - then you are screwed !
Old Sep 20th 2002, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for those. Would it work to set my watch to local time on departure and try and get into the same routine immediately? The bladder route sounds interesting. I will check with my doctor that he recommends this kind of therapy.

Cheers
Old Sep 20th 2002, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Pay more, try British Airways, they have a premium economy which gives you more room.. Or a split combo, like business to Singapore then rest economy. Or a Business seat on cheaper airline. I flew Business Class with Singapore Airlines (not Cheap) but it was family emergency and I only had 10 day turn around. I honestly enjoyed it! No jetlag, just felt totally pampered.
Old Sep 20th 2002, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Dotty. I have already arranged the flight. Normal cattle class with BA/Quantas. Did you not suffer from any jet lag at all on your 10 day trip?

Blegster
Old Sep 20th 2002, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

poggle is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Bleggy!

I worked back from my arrival time in Melbourne and tried to sleep and stay awake at 'the right times' for my body clock. When i arrived at 7am local time, id just had 7 hours sleep. A bit less than im used to, but it did the trick.

Also get yourself some 'Melatonin'. Not sure if its available in the UK, but it can be got at most airports. Its herbal tabs that trick your brain into thinking its time for sleep, so on your first night if you dont feel tired, take a few and you soon will! and then get a good nights sleep! might have to do it for the first few nights.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Old Sep 20th 2002, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Poggle

I will look out for the Melatonin.

zzzzzzz

Originally posted by poggle:
Hi Bleggy!

I worked back from my arrival time in Melbourne and tried to sleep and stay awake at 'the right times' for my body clock. When i arrived at 7am local time, id just had 7 hours sleep. A bit less than im used to, but it did the trick.

Also get yourself some 'Melatonin'. Not sure if its available in the UK, but it can be got at most airports. Its herbal tabs that trick your brain into thinking its time for sleep, so on your first night if you dont feel tired, take a few and you soon will! and then get a good nights sleep! might have to do it for the first few nights.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Old Sep 20th 2002, 8:20 am

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

must agree about using 'Melatonin'. I bought some on our Singapore Airlines flight to NZ in August and it works a treat. Took them during our stopover and also when we arrived in NZ for about 4 nights. Take 2 tablets at night 2 hours before you want to go to bed.

I believe you can not buy them over the counter in the UK, they be found on the internet though.

Have a good trip.

Kind regards,

Cinderella
Old Sep 20th 2002, 10:22 am
JPW
Forum Regular

JPW is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with the Stay up as late as you can on the first night and keep yourself busy before hand - I'm always over the Jet Lag by the folwing morning - get a little tired by late afternoon the following day - but stick with it and you get over it fast. I came back direct from NZ in march arrived aboyt midday Monday - went back to work the following morning and was fine.
Old Sep 20th 2002, 10:58 am

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

Bleggy,

Here is a site that sells Melatonin and seems to give good information about it.

http://www.biovea.net

Regards,

Cinderella.
Old Sep 20th 2002, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Cinders,

you may go to the ball

Blaeggy
Old Sep 20th 2002, 3:04 pm
Cath

On Fri, 20 Sep 2002 04:17:24 +0000, bleggy
wrote:

>Heading to Adelaide for a week or so in October, mainly pelasure but
    >also a bit of a reccie in relation to the 457IE application. Our last
    >trip was for 5 weeks and on our return, not so much on the way out, the
    >jet lag was debilitating for about a week. Does anybody have any
    >practical suggestions as how to minimise the affects particularly as the
    >stay will be fairly short and I don't want to miss a minute of it. Also
    >on my return I need to get back working asap as I am self employed. The
    >flight is direct with just a couple of short transit stops for a few
    >hours. Flight time around 30 hours.
    >Many thanks, any practical suggestions no matter how simple would be
    >much appreciated.
    >Cheers
    >Blegster
http://www.nojetlag.com/

I started using these after several long haul west to east trips which
ended with bad doses of jet lag. I find these excellent.

Flying west to east is generally the flights that will knock you.

Cath

Old Sep 20th 2002, 4:38 pm

Bleggy,

Already have my Prince, so I think I will pass on your kind offer.

Regards,

Cinderella

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.