Leeds Jobs expo- worth the trip?

Old Mar 11th 2009, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

turbojamtart will become famous soon enough
Default Leeds Jobs expo- worth the trip?

I have read that there will be a jobs expo in London and Leeds over the next two week-ends. Has anyone been to one of these before? As we live in Edinburgh I was wondering if it really is going to be of any benefit to us making the journey. Will there be anyone there that can actually look into offering you a job?
Old Mar 11th 2009, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

LayaboutSi has a brilliant futureLayaboutSi has a brilliant futureLayaboutSi has a brilliant futureLayaboutSi has a brilliant futureLayaboutSi has a brilliant futureLayaboutSi has a brilliant future
Default Re: Leeds Jobs expo- worth the trip?

I've been to two of these expos in the past.

From my experience (and judging from the list of exhibitors listed this year), they are best for people in one of three situations:
  • Medical staff as they are always in demand and usually have a large number of employers attending.
  • Anyone close to completing the visa process and in need of assistance in setting up bank accounts, transferring pensions, shipping belongings (and pets).
  • Someone wanting to find a migration agent and have a chat about their specific circumstances - although this is generally not done to much detail at the event; rather through follow up communications.
At £15 a head plus travel, much of the infomation available is already here on this forum.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 11:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by turbojamtart
I have read that there will be a jobs expo in London and Leeds over the next two week-ends. Has anyone been to one of these before? As we live in Edinburgh I was wondering if it really is going to be of any benefit to us making the journey. Will there be anyone there that can actually look into offering you a job?
I booked tickets to the London one, but that was before I found British Expats and also before I appointed an agent. I am not expecting to get any help with finding a job (I am not in medical profession), it isn't actually a *jobs* Expo is it? I thought it was more a general migration thing. I will go as I already bought the ticket and might as well, but I am now thinking I won't get a lot out of it.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 3:22 am
Just Joined

turbojamtart will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the input. As you say, there are alot of great people on this site to give advise. Think I will give it a miss. Thanks again
Old Mar 12th 2009, 5:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Tuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond repute

There is a list on the workingin website - seems to be a lot more than just employment agencies exhibiting so maybe it would be worth going if you are migrating to Australia. 3 State Governments for info on jobs, schools, housing, etc and shipping companies, builders, banks, finance and pension advice - a bit more like an emigration show I reckon. Have a look:

Adelaide, South Australia
ANZ - Australia and New Zealand Banking Group - banking and home loans
Aries International
Astral Storm Media
Australian Government Immigration (DIAC)
Australian Outlook - Aussie migration paper
Commonwealth Bank of Australia - banking and home loans
Dale Alcock Homes - thinking of building a new home when you get there?
Excess International Movers - shipping
Government of Western Australia
Halo Financial - currency exchange
Hays Globalink - recruitment
IPA Personnel - recruitment
Jets4Pets - pet movers
Lake Imaging
Living Abroad magazine
Moneycorp - currency exchange
Montfort International - pensions and finance
National Australia Bank - bank accounts and home loans
PSS International Removals - shipping
RECRUIT-ME-NT -
Reed Global Resourcing - recruitment
Tasmanian Government
The Royal Melbourne Hospital
Visa-Go Emigration - migration agent
WestNet Energy
Westpac Banking Corporation - banking
Old Apr 5th 2009, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

saxtonj is on a distinguished road

And what it didn't tell you was - it was being held in little more than what was like a school sports hall, and their were about 10 exhibitors in total - very specific (nursing in Brisbane, engineering in Cairns). The WA stand was a complete waste of time as the queue was a mile long. Absolute waste of time.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

GordonH is just really niceGordonH is just really niceGordonH is just really niceGordonH is just really niceGordonH is just really niceGordonH is just really niceGordonH is just really niceGordonH is just really niceGordonH is just really nice

so if you are there ask where in Oz is skills shortage..I am in Oz right now and see job offers shortage
in last weeks i met many unemployed programmers, nurses, technicians, builders..everyone desperately is looking for job, and can't find anything