Know anything about Student Visas?

Old Feb 22nd 2006, 8:58 pm
Emily

Default Know anything about Student Visas?

Hello. I'm considering studying in Australia. I'm a little confused
whether I can apply for a working visa after my coursework is
completed. My ultimate goal is to permanently migrate to Australia.
However, I'm wondering if Australia will make me go back home after I'm
done studying. I've looked at all the forms on the DIMA website and
they are conflicting. Help, anyone?

Old Feb 22nd 2006, 10:58 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Know anything about Student Visas?

Originally Posted by Emily

If you don't qualify for any visa to stay, then you do have to go home. An Australian qualification can sometimes help to get permanent residence - depends on circumstances - but in itself it is *not* enough (contrary to popular myth).

Some former students manage to get residence, many others have to go home. It's one of the most complex areas of immigration law.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 12:49 pm
kjb
Forum Regular

kjb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Emily

Hi Emily

I've also looked into this. If you look at the DIMIA website and choose "studying in australia" then "extending your stay" and then "migrate to australia" you will find the various visas which are available to people having studied in Australia.

There are a lot of further requirements as well as just having studied so read everything very carefully and get as much advice as you can. As JAJ says Overseas Student visas are an extremely complex area of immigration law so before jumping in make sure you do your research thoroughly.

If there is anything else you think I can help with let me know.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

I have been here for years on a student visa but luckily (or unluckily ) my boyfriend is Australian and so the course wasn't needed in order for me to stay here. I believe up until a few years ago, it was easier for someone who had been studying here to get a certain class of skilled visa (this is based on a conversation I had with a migration agent a few years ago I'm a bit hazy on the details) but that has all changed now (I think).

What were you looking at studying?