Kevin Rudd's Big 17 Question

Old Mar 29th 2008, 1:20 am
Just Joined

caz_uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Kevin Rudd's Big 17 Question

I read at the start of this month that Kevin Rudd had released a list of 17 jobs that are in high demand at the moment. These are as follows:

Mining & construction: Carpenters, bricklayers, joiners, roof plumbers, and wall and floor tilers.
Health/community services: Nursing assistants, carers, and child-care & special-care workers.
Mechanical: Panel beaters, auto electricians, and vehicle painters & body makers.
Service industries: Hairdressers, cooks, sales representatives, and travel/tourism agents.

Does this mean that, as a knock-on effect, the MODL List will be updated shortly?

My partner and I are both living in Australia at the moment. He currently holds a 457 as a Travel Agency Manager and I am de-facto on this visa. Our plan is to eventually apply for permanent residency. Travel/tourism agents have never appeared on the MODL before, let alone on the SOL List (!), and so we are naturally hoping that this will happen after hearing this news.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!
Old Mar 29th 2008, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

sailechz has a brilliant futuresailechz has a brilliant futuresailechz has a brilliant futuresailechz has a brilliant futuresailechz has a brilliant futuresailechz has a brilliant futuresailechz has a brilliant futuresailechz has a brilliant future
Default Re: Kevin Rudd's Big 17 Question

Originally Posted by caz_uk
I read at the start of this month that Kevin Rudd had released a list of 17 jobs that are in high demand at the moment. These are as follows:

Mining & construction: Carpenters, bricklayers, joiners, roof plumbers, and wall and floor tilers.
Health/community services: Nursing assistants, carers, and child-care & special-care workers.
Mechanical: Panel beaters, auto electricians, and vehicle painters & body makers.
Service industries: Hairdressers, cooks, sales representatives, and travel/tourism agents.

Does this mean that, as a knock-on effect, the MODL List will be updated shortly?

My partner and I are both living in Australia at the moment. He currently holds a 457 as a Travel Agency Manager and I am de-facto on this visa. Our plan is to eventually apply for permanent residency. Travel/tourism agents have never appeared on the MODL before, let alone on the SOL List (!), and so we are naturally hoping that this will happen after hearing this news.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!
Not necessarily.

MODL is updated based on research data from the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations (DEEWR), you may want to explore http://jobsearch.gov.au/joboutlook/default.aspx to get an indication of job prospects.

Surely there are visa options for you out there, maybe talk to a migration agent or research on the net.

Last edited by sailechz; Mar 29th 2008 at 2:23 am.