Karratha salary and visa tips

Old Jul 7th 2013, 11:38 am
Just Joined

alexp16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Karratha salary and visa tips

I have been a long time reader of British expats and particularly of your Sandpit and Australia forums, now out of the blue I might get a chance to move to Australia for work. I am an Indian engineer ( 12 years experience in O&G ) working as a Instrumentation & Controls engineer with a major Gas Processing Operator in India.

I may have to decide on moving to Karratha for work with a major Gas Plant operator in the NWS . I would actually prefer to stay in Karratha with the family(although the Rents and grocery costs are positively frightening) as our kids are too young (boys- 4 and 2.5) and living in Perth alone would be too much to ask from my OH.

I am assuming they will have me over on a 457 visa, but do they sponsor you for a PR at the end of the stint? Is is something I should ask them to consider?

Also what would be a fair and reasonable salary for an Indian working in Karratha on a family basis ( I am under no pretensions of why they would want to fly us in instead of getting an Aussie or even somebody from the UK/ Ireland for the job).
But still obviously getting to know that you have been shortchanged after landing is not a nice feeling.

I have a very competitive package in India with good benefits like full medical coverage for the family & parents, soft loan for the car, but cost of living as you guys know is nowhere near comparison. Also is housing , car costs etc covered by employers in Karratha.

Any inputs would be most appreciated.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 1:05 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Karratha salary and visa tips

Originally Posted by alexp16
I have been a long time reader of British expats and particularly of your Sandpit and Australia forums, now out of the blue I might get a chance to move to Australia for work. I am an Indian engineer ( 12 years experience in O&G ) working as a Instrumentation & Controls engineer with a major Gas Processing Operator in India.

I may have to decide on moving to Karratha for work with a major Gas Plant operator in the NWS . I would actually prefer to stay in Karratha with the family(although the Rents and grocery costs are positively frightening) as our kids are too young (boys- 4 and 2.5) and living in Perth alone would be too much to ask from my OH.

I am assuming they will have me over on a 457 visa, but do they sponsor you for a PR at the end of the stint? Is is something I should ask them to consider?

Also what would be a fair and reasonable salary for an Indian working in Karratha on a family basis ( I am under no pretensions of why they would want to fly us in instead of getting an Aussie or even somebody from the UK/ Ireland for the job).
But still obviously getting to know that you have been shortchanged after landing is not a nice feeling.

I have a very competitive package in India with good benefits like full medical coverage for the family & parents, soft loan for the car, but cost of living as you guys know is nowhere near comparison. Also is housing , car costs etc covered by employers in Karratha.

Any inputs would be most appreciated.
Hi Alex, don't know if this is relevant to your particular situation/job role but my husband's company pays $200K+ for offshore oil and gas Inlecs (Instrument/Electrical Technicians), fly in/out from Perth and Karratha. Can't help with your visa questions, except to say that if your company's bringing you over on a 457 because they can't fill the job with a local, then there shouldn't be a different pay rate - the salary attached to the job should be X amount regardless of your country of origin. They can offer you more but I don't think they can offer you less - more experienced people may be able to confirm or correct this.

At least coming from India, the heat up North shouldn't hit you and your family so hard

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Jul 7th 2013 at 1:10 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I am mining so not oil and gas, but salaries are very high for your line of work. For those living up north, companies also often help with housing on top of your salary package.

As mentioned, you will not be paid differently because you are Indian - there is a major shortage of skilled people for the OG industry.

It is worth discussing visa options with them for sponsorship into perm residence.

I would though also see if they would consider a fly in fly out (FIFO role rather than living in Karratha. The reason being, it is very out of the way, a small town and with extremes of climate. A lot of people who live in Perth FIFO and in your sort of role, you would get a very good roster. No worse than a week on then a week off. Obviously, they then pay for you to stay at work, your meals and your flights.

I would be surprised if your package was less than the mid $200k range.

Hope this helps
Old Jul 7th 2013, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

HI S&S,

Thanks for the input. Yeah I heard people talking about the heat and felt, bring it on we can handle that . My position would be onshore.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

TeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Alex

One of the requirements of the 457 is that the employer must provide you with the same market rate salary as they would an Australian for the same role.

It is possible that your employer may wish to sponsor you for PR, they can either do this immediately or currently the regulations allow for them to sponsor you after 2 years via a 'transitional route'. There are conditions to both options but the employer must have a permanent position to offer you at that time.

There is nothing to stop you applying for permanent residence in your own right as a skilled migrant while you are on the 457 at any time you can meet the selection criteria. Something worth considering if you want the security of PR.

Tee
Old Jul 8th 2013, 7:32 am
Just Joined

Thanks guys,

Yes I would want to push for the PR either immediately after the probation/tenancy or in a year, considering the medical coverage and educational support which would come with it.
If you are on a 457, do companies cover some extent of the medical costs.

A week on FIFO would be great, I retain my family around 80 kms away as of now, and only get to be with them on the weekends (although my parents are near and can support my wife as need be); but I am worried the wife will find it difficult in a new country with 2 young kids.

I really didnt know packages could be as high as 200K , do you guys get paid fortnightly or monthly?
Old Jul 8th 2013, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Some companies provide private health insurance. Some dont and people take it out. I have had employers with both. At the moment i pay for it myself. However, if you gain perm residence then you would be entitled to Medicare which is the free public health system.

FIFO can be hard, but there is a growing Indian community in Perth and a fair few in Mandurah where i live - about 70km south of Perth. My wife does volunteer work teaching Indian people whose english is not as good - mainly wives of the visa holder.

I have spent a long time doing FIFO - I currently FIFO to east Africa for 5 weeks at a time. My wife does find it hard sometimes, but it has its advantages. Personnaly, i would far rather work FIFO than live in Karratha - there is not much there. I know people have mentioned the climate. But you really can not imagine how hot it can get - pushing 50c. It is also subject to cyclones.

Pay varies. I am currently paid monthly, but my last role was twice a month.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 2:14 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Husband, offshore, fly in/out from Perth, paid after each trip, swing is 2 on 2 off. The company pays for the airfares, of course, and you can rack up some decent FF points, albeit with Qantas. No health insurance or any other 'perks'. I think most workers north of the 'something' parallel (can't remember!) get tax breaks, but that's only if you're onshore, offshore doesn't qualify.

You know your situation best Alex, but Karratha is somewhere you love or hate, and the fly in/out workers I know wouldn't consider living there. But most of the people I'm taking about are either city born, or expats from the UK - it might suit you!
Old Jul 8th 2013, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

Thanks a lot guys, your inputs have been most helpful.

Many thanks again

Alex