jobs for carpenters in adelaide

Old Aug 24th 2005, 12:10 pm
Heading for Adelaide ASAP

empyrean is on a distinguished road
Default jobs for carpenters in adelaide

hiall, we are (hopefully) moving to adelaide next year, and i am wondering what the job prospects are for carpenters, in this area. i have a friend in brisbane, who Say's that hes really busy, but can't tell me much on adelaide. can anyone help with this or any other info on adelaide.
many thanks
paul
Old Aug 24th 2005, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Sherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: jobs for carpenters in adelaide

Originally Posted by empyrean
hiall, we are (hopefully) moving to adelaide next year, and i am wondering what the job prospects are for carpenters, in this area. i have a friend in brisbane, who Say's that hes really busy, but can't tell me much on adelaide. can anyone help with this or any other info on adelaide.
many thanks
paul
You'll find trades people like carpenters are in short supply all over OZ.
We were in Adelaide 2 years ago and speaking to carpenters then there just isn't enough of them.
Our friends in Adelaide said it takes ages to get carpenters to quote for work and when they do quote they don't always turn up regularly, so a good reliable chippie is going to be well sought after.
My Hubbie is an all round builder (roofer, carpenter, and brickie) and he got asked about loads of work in Adelaide, he only went out to help lay a friends patio one day.... and got loads of neighbours asking about work, so sure you will have no probs.

Sherie.
Old Aug 25th 2005, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

Sherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the rough
Wink Re: jobs for carpenters in adelaide

Originally Posted by Sherie
You'll find trades people like carpenters are in short supply all over OZ.
We were in Adelaide 2 years ago and speaking to carpenters then there just isn't enough of them.
Our friends in Adelaide said it takes ages to get carpenters to quote for work and when they do quote they don't always turn up regularly, so a good reliable chippie is going to be well sought after.
My Hubbie is an all round builder (roofer, carpenter, and brickie) and he got asked about loads of work in Adelaide, he only went out to help lay a friends patio one day.... and got loads of neighbours asking about work, so sure you will have no probs.

Sherie.
Just found article in November 2004 Australia News says a construction boom in SA was stretching skilled tradespeople to breaking point

'The building Industry Association said the largest peak in building activity for 15 years had highlighted extreme shortages in particular building trades...amongst the most sought after are bricklayers, plasterers, carpenters and tilers.There is also strong demand for electricians and plumbers.
A recent government report into skilled workers found that 60% of SA firms had problems finding staff.

Sounds encouraging for trades people!!
Old Aug 26th 2005, 7:56 am

Thanks for those encouraging words - hubby will be pleased!
Old Aug 26th 2005, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

xxdebsonlinexx will become famous soon enoughxxdebsonlinexx will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by empyrean
many thanks
paul

Hi Paul
Were flying out to Adelaide in just under 3 weeks and hubby is a carpenter/joiner. If you want i will send you some info when we have settled in so it will give you an idea as to what kind of work is around and also what to expect to get for a weekly wage

Debs xxx
Old Aug 26th 2005, 8:21 am
Just Joined

Thadie is a jewel in the roughThadie is a jewel in the roughThadie is a jewel in the roughThadie is a jewel in the roughThadie is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Sherie
Just found article in November 2004 Australia News says a construction boom in SA was stretching skilled tradespeople to breaking point

'The building Industry Association said the largest peak in building activity for 15 years had highlighted extreme shortages in particular building trades...amongst the most sought after are bricklayers, plasterers, carpenters and tilers.There is also strong demand for electricians and plumbers.
A recent government report into skilled workers found that 60% of SA firms had problems finding staff.

Sounds encouraging for trades people!!
I don't understand why wages do not reflect this demand! Lots of threads about poor wages.......it's very confusing?
Old Aug 26th 2005, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by xxdebsonlinexx
Hi Paul
Were flying out to Adelaide in just under 3 weeks and hubby is a carpenter/joiner. If you want i will send you some info when we have settled in so it will give you an idea as to what kind of work is around and also what to expect to get for a weekly wage

Debs xxx
Hi Debs

Where in Lancashire are you? We're in Blackburn

Paul & Chris
Old Aug 26th 2005, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Thadie
I don't understand why wages do not reflect this demand! Lots of threads about poor wages.......it's very confusing?

You'll find building trades people can command quite high wages in OZ because they are in short supply, like here in the UK a good builder doesn't ask rock bottom prices, unless they are pretty dim and choose to!

The Aussies love renovating their homes and and the shortage of trades people has actually pushed wages up quite a lot in places.

So its not so much the building trades who are on low pay, unless they choose to, its because OZ has a smaller population and it will be down to supply and demand of different skills and job vacancies, you have to be flexible and go self employed if you want to earn good money